PDA

View Full Version : Big Banger,ALU or Original

absolude
03-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Hi everyone,
I rarely visit these boards since is my daughter, not I,the one who plays tennis.
Time for new strings.
She's been happily using The original BB for the past few years in her Yonex Ti 1700.
She very much prefers stiff string in this throat-flexibile racquet.
Looking around I see that the competition is catching up with Luxilon.
So is a must to try the Kirschbaum Competition and TT.
Is cheaper and I'll feel better too if she'll like them.
But looking through the boards(including old one), I could find no refference to the BB original.All the talk is about ALU and TiMo.
Are these ones that much better compared to the Original ?
I am more interested in ALU, in how it compares to BB Original.
And I have a question about the Kirschbaum TT.
Since is a soft poly, should it be strung a little higher than Luxilon BB, let's say two pounds ?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Sorry for the long post.

edge
03-08-2004, 06:27 PM
I find BB ALU has much more power than BB original. I also find ALU is softer and easier on the elbow than BB, so I prefer it over BB. I have ordered TT and Competition to try out.

Gaines Hillix
03-08-2004, 07:37 PM
absolude, LUX ALU and the Kirsch strings you mentioned play quite differently, IMO. Touch Turbo has a marked springy quality to it. The trampoline effect is palpable with this string. TopSpin Poly Polar is very similar.

Radical Shot
03-08-2004, 11:07 PM
I agree with Edge on this one. ALU has more power than BB Original and is much, much more confortable. I had to cut out BB Original because it was too harsh. ALU is sweet. TiMo is better.
________
ford ex history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_EX)

absolude
03-09-2004, 04:46 AM
Thanks for your responses.
If TT is springy I'll have to stay away.Once we had to cut off a fresh string for being like that.
Looks tempting to go more expensive, with the ALU.TiMo doesn't come in 16.
I think we'll have to stay with a 16 gauge.She broke the Ace in about two days.
During the summer she practices on a rather dusty court, so durability is very important.
How these three compare in durability ?
Are TiMo and ALU as durable as the Original ?

Gaines Hillix
03-09-2004, 05:10 AM
absolude, ALU is very durable, in my experience. I can't break the stuff. It takes my biggest string breaker about 2 mos. to go through a set of it playing 3-4 times per week. That's about 50 hrs. of play I would guess. TiMO is too harsh for many people. It is more control oriented that ALU. I have never used the original BB.

Rabbit
03-09-2004, 07:49 AM
TIMO is very durable. It might be worth it to order one set of each and let her decide. Between the three Lux strings mentioned, there is some difference, but not night and day. Order one of each, string them up at the same tension, and let her decide.

IMO, the Kirschbaum Touch Turbo plays closest to ALU. I agree with Gaines regarding the playability, but it is a virtual clone of ALU IMO. Another string you might be interested in if she likes a deader playing string is Kirschbaum Compeition. Both of these strings can be strung a couple to 5 pounds higher than Luxilon with no adverse effects.

Still, it would probably be worth it to order one set of each that you think she'd like and let her do the comparison.

edge
03-09-2004, 10:04 AM
I agree, only the specific player should decide. How old is your daughter? TiMo at 17 gauge is still tough to break. My 17 year old son breaks ALU but it is impossible for me to break. My 13 year old finally broke ALU last week. I guess his power has come up, we usually cut it out after 4-6 weeks. I just ordered TT, Competition to see if we can get a cheaper alternative to ALU. I also ordered TiMo 18 to see what crazy control/spin we can get. Two years ago, Timo 17 was too harsh for us.

chad shaver
03-09-2004, 11:00 AM
I found the BB original to be more difficult to string. It may have been my own error, but I lost a full set of BB because it kept breaking...didn't even have lengths to do a hybrid.

absolude
03-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks again.
My daughter is 16.Doesn't hit with excessive spin. Must be the open pattern and, in the summer, the dusty/sandy court.
The tension for Original is 52/47.
Are the Kirschbaums close in durability to the Luxilon ?
By the end, looks like we'll just order a set of each.