PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if a frame is about to crack

Tennis Man
11-16-2006, 04:06 PM
I have a few frames that have small hairline cracks but I strung them and they play just fine. I just wonder what would be a signal for me to stop playing with them. My stringer says they should start making noise. Anything else?

Here are some pics on both sides. They are closeups but don't they look as bad to a naked eye. And this is just on one side of the throat.

http://i10.tinypic.com/2uhs5t4.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/3324euw.jpg

Amone
11-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Well, I've seen a few frames that just cracked out of nowhere (for instance, my team's no. 1 singles player snapped the upper hoop of an i.Radical he'd borrowed on a serve... that was weird) so theoretically, there could be times where there are no hints.

Tennis Man
11-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Well, I've seen a few frames that just cracked out of nowhere (for instance, my team's no. 1 singles player snapped the upper hoop of an i.Radical he'd borrowed on a serve... that was weird) so theoretically, there could be times where there are no hints.

Well, there must be a reason why they crack. Defective material, workmanship or physical abuse :). Maybe it already had a crack before.

I usually inspect my racquets very carefully so I know what to expect. Thanks for feedback anyway.

LttlElvis
11-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Not sure, but those look like paint cracks only.

ferocious4hand
11-16-2006, 04:23 PM
That could just be the exterior paint that's cracking, not necessary the frame

LoveThisGame
11-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Those do seem to be paint cracks from flexing the frame.

If a crack is "shooting" for a hole (i.e., weak spot), it's going to be a problem.

When the strings are out of the frame, grab the hoop, a hand on each side of the crack, and try to manually bend the hoop away from the crack. If it opens a bit, trouble is present.

Tennis Man
11-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Not sure, but those look like paint cracks only.

That's what I thought myself and the previous owner doesn't know what happened. I even strung it softer at 55 lb. It plays just great and is very quite.

I got an idea. Maybe I should just X-ray it. That's be fun. Has anyone done it?

psp2
11-16-2006, 05:19 PM
That's what I thought myself and the previous owner doesn't know what happened. I even strung it softer at 55 lb. It plays just great and is very quite.

I got an idea. Maybe I should just X-ray it. That's be fun. Has anyone done it?

I've seen those types of "cracks" many times. It's actually the outer shell that's cracking under flex induced stress. The actual frame material's integrity should be fine.

I have a POG mid that has several of these flex induced "cracks", and the frame still hits the same as it has for the past 5 years.

Tennis Man
11-16-2006, 05:58 PM
I've seen those types of "cracks" many times. It's actually the outer shell that's cracking under flex induced stress. The actual frame material's integrity should be fine.

I have a POG mid that has several of these flex induced "cracks", and the frame still hits the same as it has for the past 5 years.

ty, buddy. Now I won't lose my sleep over it. :)

abenguyen
11-16-2006, 07:30 PM
looks like its gonna crack

psp2
11-16-2006, 07:50 PM
looks like its gonna crack

Highly doubt it. I should take some photos of my POG and show you the flex "cracks". It's nothing but the pj cracking under flexing.

Tennis Man
11-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Highly doubt it. I should take some photos of my POG and show you the flex "cracks".

Could you post some pics?

DRtenniS1112
11-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Dude did you like hook up a camera to a microscope, those pics are insanely clear for that close. And I think they are just that external shell people were speaking of.

kbui
11-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Kick some butt on the court with that awesome racquet!

So what if it breaks, at least you got to play it :D

Just a fantastic racquet...looks soooo familiar ! LOL

Tennis Man
11-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Dude did you like hook up a camera to a microscope, those pics are insanely clear for that close. And I think they are just that external shell people were speaking of.

Thanks. No microscope but it is called a macro function (looked like a flower on my Canon). It takes closeups. If you have a decent digicam you can do it yourself.

Duzza
11-17-2006, 04:10 AM
Looks like stress fractures. Got a few on my PS 85 too. Wouldn't worry.

Tennis Man
11-17-2006, 05:06 AM
Kick some butt on the court with that awesome racquet!

So what if it breaks, at least you got to play it :D

Just a fantastic racquet...looks soooo familiar ! LOL

kbui, you are da man for me, just like alex for you ... :) I should get the expensive one now :) let' make a deal ....

Tennis Man
11-17-2006, 05:08 AM
Looks like stress fractures. Got a few on my PS 85 too. Wouldn't worry.

Could you post some pics? I've got some on PS 85 that I just bought (8/10) but that frame looks so much more solid.

http://i10.tinypic.com/4dgol92.jpg

Duzza
11-17-2006, 05:15 AM
I'll try tomorrow(midnight here...), not as big as yours but still noticable.