PDA

View Full Version : Holding a soon to ship Prince square O Port model

netman
11-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Our pro handed me an all black test model to try out tonight. It has the new square O Ports so obviously it was a Prince. Has small bright blue grommets at the tie offs on the tip, so I guessed it was the new O3 Blue. Quick check of specs revealed its almost dead on the O3 Blue (10.2 oz, 24-26mm frame, 27.5 long) except for an even balance and an extra .1 oz of weight.

I use modded Bandit OS frames (10.8 oz and 8 pts HL) so this was a good one for me to try out. I have never hit the O3 Blue, but did do an extended trial of the O3 Red. This frame hits very much like the Red with just the barest hint of some additional power. Even though its .6 oz lighter than my Bandits it actually feels more sluggish due to the even balance. Found it to be great on FHs, but sluggish on OHBHs. Not bad at the net, but no real feel, which I don't like. Same thing on serves, no feel but good control as long as you add spin. Where it really shines is when you have to react to a shot. The sweetspot is HUGE and as long as you get the strings on the ball, its going back with some pace. With some lead in the handle this could be a great doubles frame if you like the muted feel of the O line.

The new O port design seems to make the sweetspot even bigger that the original O ports and even balls hit right next to the frame come off with some pace. Looks like Prince has come up with a nice refinement. If you like the O frames, you will definitely want to give the new square ports a try. They are bigger than the old ones allowing even more string movement. Very, very comfortable.

We also had the Blake model. It had too small a head and was way too heavy for my taste, but a guy that uses the Diablo Mid tried it and liked it a lot. Even had a nice leather grip. Interestingly, the O ports were round, not square.

-k-

Duzza
11-17-2006, 02:44 AM
Our pro handed me an all black test model to try out tonight. It has the new square O Ports so obviously it was a Prince. Has small bright blue grommets at the tie offs on the tip, so I guessed it was the new O3 Blue. Quick check of specs revealed its almost dead on the O3 Blue (10.2 oz, 24-26mm frame, 27.5 long) except for an even balance and an extra .1 oz of weight.

I use modded Bandit OS frames (10.8 oz and 8 pts HL) so this was a good one for me to try out. I have never hit the O3 Blue, but did do an extended trial of the O3 Red. This frame hits very much like the Red with just the barest hint of some additional power. Even though its .6 oz lighter than my Bandits it actually feels more sluggish due to the even balance. Found it to be great on FHs, but sluggish on OHBHs. Not bad at the net, but no real feel, which I don't like. Same thing on serves, no feel but good control as long as you add spin. Where it really shines is when you have to react to a shot. The sweetspot is HUGE and as long as you get the strings on the ball, its going back with some pace. With some lead in the handle this could be a great doubles frame if you like the muted feel of the O line.

The new O port design seems to make the sweetspot even bigger that the original O ports and even balls hit right next to the frame come off with some pace. Looks like Prince has come up with a nice refinement. If you like the O frames, you will definitely want to give the new square ports a try. They are bigger than the old ones allowing even more string movement. Very, very comfortable.

We also had the Blake model. It had too small a head and was way too heavy for my taste, but a guy that uses the Diablo Mid tried it and liked it a lot. Even had a nice leather grip. Interestingly, the O ports were round, not square.

-k-

Square O-Ports?? Weird.... how small was the Blake model head? 95?

loner1984
11-17-2006, 06:34 AM
I heard that Blake had until the end of this year to come up with a racquet for himself or else prince will drop his contract. Any info on when the Blake racquet will be out? He's been with a Prince "experimental" for the entirety of this year.

Rafa's best friend
11-17-2006, 06:36 AM
So are you shippin out that extended O3 white as well??

Ash Doyle
11-17-2006, 06:52 AM
We also had the Blake model. It had too small a head and was way too heavy for my taste, but a guy that uses the Diablo Mid tried it and liked it a lot. Even had a nice leather grip.

That would be odd, since Blake himself does not use a leather grip.

netman
11-17-2006, 10:21 AM
I'd say from a brief swing time the Blake is roughly 12.2-12.5 oz, head light and about a 93, maybe a 95, head. Thin bean that was less than 20mm. My friend said it felt more flexible and much more comfortable that his Diablo Mid.

I'll try and get my hands on the Blake model to get some specs.

-k-

netman
11-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Square O-Ports?? Weird....

The square O Ports really seem to add some more power, better control and comfort over the rounds ports. However I wonder if they will make the racquet prone to early string breakage.

-k-

netman
11-17-2006, 10:29 AM
So are you shippin out that extended O3 white as well??

Haven't heard about that one. These were pre-production models given to select pros for testing and evaluation. Since my pro knew I did comparative reviews for TW, he let me try them out, as long as I agreed to help fill out the evaluation form.

I would think its safe to assume Prince will update all their O3 frames with the new square ports it they are well received and enhance performance. Another interestng thing on the Blue proto I tested. Its 24 mm at the tip, 26mm at the shoulder and 22mm just above the handle. Don't know if the current Blue is the same, but it seems Prince has moved from the CTS taper to a dual taper like Wilson and Babolat.

-k-

Vitaly Evchenkov
11-17-2006, 10:39 AM
You heard it hear first...
2006 Prince -> OVAL O-PORTS
2007 Princee -> SQUARE 0-PORTS
2008 Prince -> PENTAGONAL 0-PORTS
2009 Prince -> HEXAGONAL
2010 Prince -> OCTAGONAL
2011 Prince -> after the outcry for FEEL, they introduce this remarkable new technology called Solid GRAPHITE w/ GROMMETS!

(ps - HEAD 2007 = SQUARE FLEXPOINTS!)

Duzza
11-17-2006, 03:46 PM
LOL Vitaly. Netman, I can see how you worry about the new grommet/ports being prone to early breaking. If you remember the Prince More Game, I had one and broke way too much. I later learnt what grommets were and that mine didn't have them :D

Nerub
11-22-2006, 01:56 AM
I think its the O3 speedport. There's an article about it in tennisnews.com