PDA

View Full Version : List your top 10 racquets for elbow and shoulder safety !

Crocodile
08-12-2004, 05:57 AM
With racquet research no longer updating their site it would be interesting to compile a new list based on Wilmots formulas then comparing and contrasting with player feedback taking into consideration factors such as flex, handle systems, grommet systems, string patterns, and frame construction methods. I f many people posted their top 10 it would be interesting if a consenses could be reached. One would also need to considerwhich racquets would be included, current models, and/or those available in a particular country. For example in Australia it's very hard to get a hold of an Estusa or a POG oversize. I'm working on my own list at the moment and the hardest thing so far is working through some inconsistencies, such as gauging how much work one needs to apply with a racquet. For example a flexible racquet like a 7.1 PS may play very softly but does it produce the same amount of power as a Slaz Trinity PB. Is there anybody out there who is willing to give this a go ?

alleycat
08-12-2004, 06:37 AM
For shoulder, from personal experience Yonex MP 3i, I wish it wasn't discontinued.

tschevap
08-12-2004, 06:56 AM
Had lots of shoulder pains - Prince Warrior MP helped me out!

joe sch
08-12-2004, 07:24 AM
If you really want to rid yourself of tennis elbow or shoulder problems I suggest playing with a wood racket until these injuries dissapear. Yes, I am living proof that this works. Im like alot of tennis fanatics and did not want to stop playing after encountering cases of TE with shoulder rotator problems and the pain got soo bad that I just decided to start playing wood to see if I could keep playing. I also started learning a 2 handed backhand to relieve more stress from my injuries. I started really enjoying this wood handicap as it really made me learn to play smart since I could no longer rely on aces and hitting winners from the baselinle. After about 1/2 year I no longer felt any pain. BTW, the pain was much less once I started hitting with wood. Your mileage may very but this worked for me. Good luck, Joe

Brent Pederson
08-12-2004, 08:13 AM
Pro Tour 280
Prestige Mid or Midplus
200g MW
Radical
Volkl c10 or t10
Rossignol f200
ProKennex 5g
Yonex ti 70

NoBadMojo
08-12-2004, 08:37 AM
it's about the physics..if you want to have power in a flexy axe, you need to have mass. a stiff and heavy frame would be very powerful (remember the old wide bodies)? as far as work required to hit with power that obviously depends on the conditioning and age of the player.. dont know you put that into the equation. but if you just use the TW racquet finder, you could come up w. a nice list of frames..it would be nice if TW could also post the power levels of the frames in a way similar to the USRSA IMO..i have found those figures to be reasonably accurate for the most part. Ed

christian
08-12-2004, 09:17 AM
try a prince original graphite with a multi in it. the strings wont last worth ne thing with the open pattern but itlll feel like butter

stevens
08-12-2004, 12:30 PM
I used the Prince Thunderstrike 110 w/ a poly for yrs but limited my play to only 2 X's a week because of weak deltoid.

Switched to PRINCE EQUIPE (100% graphite) = play 5 straight days and the only problem is my knees and my game plan.

Can't go wrong w/ 100 % graphite and a multi -- natural gut

RON ANDERSON
08-12-2004, 02:58 PM
HAVE NERVE DAMAGE IN MY HANDS AND ARMS AND MOST COMFY
RACQUET I EVER HIT WITH IS VOLKL C9 COMP. SECOND PLACE
VOLKL C10 PRO TOUR. THESE 2 FAR ABOVE EVERYTHING ELSE.
PUT NAT GUT IN THESE AND SWEET COMBO FOR THE
HANDI-CAP PLAYERS OUT HTERE.

bigserving
08-12-2004, 03:10 PM
Dunlop Muscleweave 200g

Steve Huff
08-12-2004, 04:58 PM
I've tried several rackets to help with elbow problems (not due entirely to tennis). The ones I've found that were very comfortable were:

ProKennex 5g (this is the one I use)
Fischer VT 98 (now the Pro #1)
Volkl Catapult V1 MP
Yonex RD ti 50 & 50 Long
Wilson ROK
Wilson H Tour
Prince Graphite
Yonex VCon 17 OS

I haven't tried any of the Head models, but would definitely try the LM Radical and LM Instinct.

Indy Tennis
08-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Any version of the Head Prestige line or the Head Pro Tour 280. I've also heard the Pro Kennex players racquets are easy on the arm.

ma2t
08-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Pro-Kennex 7G

joe sch
08-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Ok, If you must play graphite, here are 2 you must try and they will not hurt if you use soft strings or natural gut. Also, try to play looser tension by atleast 5 lbs, it will take some getting use and your arms will be thanking you :

rossignol F200
dunlop max 200g

Crocodile
08-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Very interesting responses, thankyou very much. I'm currently testing out frames, and will comply a list A.S.A.P. So far my incomplete list would go something like this:
1. Pro Kennex 5G normal model
2. Volkl C10 Pro MP
3. Wilson 7.1 H.P.S 3. Volkl Tour 10 MP
4. Wilson 6.7 H.P.S
5. Volkl Catapult V1
6. Head Radical LM MP
7. Yonex RD 50
8. Fischer Pro No 1
9. Pro Kennex 7G
10. Yonex V-Con 17

This is what I've come up with so far. The order may not be correct but I'll need more time to do this. Unfortunately the Head Pro Tour 280 and POG is not available in OZ, neither are the Estusa's therefore will depend on more input from you guys out there. More responses welcome, would love to compile some good research.

Deuce
08-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Add the Fischer Vac Pro 90 and Volkl Catapult 10 to Brent's list.

jda
08-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Crocodile wrote: ...For example in Australia it's very hard to get a hold of an Estusa or a POG oversize...

You can order from Tennis Warehouse...

I also ordered 2 POG OS from TW.

brtennis
08-13-2004, 11:31 AM
I see that ProKennex 5g/7g are in several people's list. Personally, Estusa PBB are way better in my own experience, comfirt and safety wise. I used 5g/7g for about two years until I found PBB about 4-5 months ago.

louis netman
08-15-2004, 09:13 AM
11.5 -13 oz, headlight balance, flex rating of less than 65, natural gut at mid/low tension...

mackadilly
08-16-2004, 06:48 AM
I would recommend the ProKennex 5g or 7G strung with gut. I was suffering from wrist problems (due to my fling with the Diablo MP) all summer until I started playing with these 2 racquets. Just last week i had a brace on my wrist and this weekend i was able to play (w/ 7g + nat gut 60lbs) three days straight for a total of 9 sets. My wrist improvd every day that i played!! no lie. The reviews/feedbacks are true.

KM

kreative
08-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Dunlop Max200G, Muscle Weave 200G
Head Prestige Tour, Prestige Classic, Pro Tour 280
Prince Original Graphite OS
Fischer Pro 1
Volkl series (C-10, T10, etc.)
Pro Kennex Series (5G, 7G)

ilian
04-01-2007, 09:04 PM
1. Dunlop MAX 200G
2. Dunlop MAX 500i
3. Dunlop MAX 800i

The rest of the tennis racquets, except for other injection moulded frames made by Dunlop, cannot even compare to these when it comes to saving of one's arm.

Indy Tennis
04-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Pro Tour 280
Prestige Mid or Midplus
200g MW
Radical
Volkl c10 or t10
Rossignol f200
ProKennex 5g
Yonex ti 70

Great elbow friendly list except the Radical seems out of place. It's quite stiff.

haerdalis
04-01-2007, 10:04 PM
I think Volkl's handle system does a good job of adding "real" comfort, as does the kinetic system from PK. Kneissl frames are also very comfortable.
Racquets that I own and consider arm-friendly are:
PK core1 #6
PK 5g, 7g
PK ki15
PK type R
Wilson nFury100
Kneissl Black Star
Yonex pro rd-70 long 105 (shortened to 27")

Even though I am sure the kinetic system helps you to play with TE I find the Type R and the core1 #6 to be more comfortable.

fgs
04-02-2007, 04:34 AM
wilson nblade 106
wilson nblade 98
wilson nsix-one 95 (18x20)
wilson ntour two 105

back to tennis since one and a half years now and played only these three. i demoed quite a few babolats and heads, but not sufficiently in order to have an opinion about elbow and shoulder saftey. some of them felt really nice, but you can't tell after one hour of hitting.

N23
04-02-2007, 07:37 AM
I've started to develop some arm problems. I've been away from the game for 8 years and picked up where I left off. Timing and footwork were off for a while but they're back now. Loving the game except for the arm problems. I picked up an MP Tour 1 98 and strung it at 65lbs and after that, started developing the problems. I can't seem to shake the soreness but it's probably due to me playing either 3 days. Hopefully... anyhow, I have a few of these older flexy frames, Pro Tour 280, Rossi F280, Yonex's, and LM Radicals so hopefully it'll help. I was also guided to a hybrid with multi and polys.

fgs
04-02-2007, 07:43 AM
n23,
besides playing a lot in a short span of time, i dare say that 65lbs is quite high a tension. what string did you use?

oldhacker
04-02-2007, 07:58 AM
I cannot suggest 10 arm friendly racquets but I have just moved to a Dunlop Aerogel 300 and find it is a wonder racquet for my bad shoulder. My selection criteria were:

Headlight > 4 points
Stiffness < 65g
Weight > 310g

I think the headlight aspect is very important for preserving your shoulder as it reduces swingweight - avoid Hammers at all costs.

A more flexible racquet certainly softens the shock on the wrist, elbow and shoulder especially when facing a very heavy shot or on a mis hit.

I found most racquets which fit the above criteria are firnly in the 'players' category and so not well matched for less advanced players. The Dunlop Aerogel 300 still has reasonable power though, as well as good control, so I can just about get away with it with my low 4.0 level game.

Fred Perry
04-02-2007, 10:34 AM
I just made the switch to ProKennex - have both the 5g and the 7g. I made the switch solely on the fact that I play better with them - their heavier weight, compared to the O3's I had been using, seem to especially help with my backhand. Both PK's are strung with gut but I'm a bit worried because, after my first full weekend using them, I've noticed a twinge of pain in my elbow that wasn't there before. I'm hopeful that its just muscle soreness and not a developing tendon problem. any thought on that folks . . .

haerdalis
04-02-2007, 10:37 AM
A new racquet is like new shoes. You might get sore at first before you become accustomed to it. So dont overdo it when using a new racquet.

Fred Perry
04-02-2007, 10:52 AM
A new racquet is like new shoes. You might get sore at first before you become accustomed to it. So dont overdo it when using a new racquet.

yeah, that's the approach I'm taking. They weren't easy sticks to get and the results have been so noticable - even to my playing partners - so I'm sticking with them for the long run.

Ronaldo
04-02-2007, 12:12 PM
The Yonex RDX 500 is at the top of my list now. The older Head Tour, Volkl Comp, and Dunlop Revelation series are a godsend for TE. HOWEVER they are 10 yr old sticks.

stevekim8
04-02-2007, 01:14 PM
prince o3 red midplus is super comfortable for arm,shoulder, and elbow.

haerdalis
04-02-2007, 01:40 PM
yeah, that's the approach I'm taking. They weren't easy sticks to get and the results have been so noticable - even to my playing partners - so I'm sticking with them for the long run.

Yes the 5g is a great stick. I know you probably dont want to hear this but I think you should try to demo a PK type R. It seems to come from the same mold as the 5g. It has no kinetic stuff but it is flexier, although it still feels crisp. A very solid racquet and also very comfortable.

Fred Perry
04-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Yes the 5g is a great stick. I know you probably dont want to hear this but I think you should try to demo a PK type R. It seems to come from the same mold as the 5g. It has no kinetic stuff but it is flexier, although it still feels crisp. A very solid racquet and also very comfortable.

Is that the Redondo that so many people swear by? If so, I have been intrigued by it. I imagine I could demo it thru TW. They've still got 5/8's in stock which is my grip size . . .

great, now I'll have another racquet to hide from my wife . . . and she thought tennis was relatively inexpensive . . .

movdqa
04-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Redondo Mids are very hard to come by but PK is supposed to ship me one in a few weeks. Very soft and comfortable racquet and it's what I am using now. Takes a while to get used to it as it has a lot of secrets.

haerdalis
04-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Actually no I wasnt ralking about the redondo but the Type R, the redondo is the type C.
The Type R has similar flex but feels a lot crisper. It is a little less headlight with a higher sw in a lighter package. Exceptionally solid for its weight yet very low powered with excellent control.
Unfortunately they are even harder to find than the redondos. Well worth the trouble of searching though.

sinned
04-02-2007, 10:41 PM
TT Warrior MP

backcourt
04-03-2007, 09:16 AM
For shoulder, from personal experience Yonex MP 3i, I wish it wasn't discontinued.

Agreed. This is also my personal experience, and originally demo'd after reading about 3i's on racquet research. I still have a couple of these that I use for backups or in the event I have shoulder pain.

With a little weight, my Cat 8VE is also pretty shoulder friendly. Without the weight, I was having elbow pain for the first time in my life.