PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a new racquet

wfudeac
11-17-2006, 06:31 AM
A little background first:

I currently use a Babolat Pure Drive Team, 100 square inches. Looking back at it, now I realize how stiff of a racquet it is and how it doesn't have much touch or control, even when I string at the top of the tension range. I should have put more time into demo-ing racquets, but I don't have the time or the money to try a different racquet every few days.

I never even thought about switching racquets until a friend let me use her Volkl Tour 10 Mid racquet, about 93 square inches. All of a sudden my shots that my Babolat would hit out started going in, and the racquet had a TON of control. my volleys were crisper, and I was getting lots more first serves in because the heft of the racquet and headsize were helping to keep them in. Serving has always been a huge weakness of mine and I noticed an immediate improvement. My returns were also much better because the racquet had a lot more support behind it.

After hitting with it a couple times, I had to give that racquet back to her, and on a whim I went back to my old Wilson Pro Staff 95 classic that I bought over 10 years ago. I have no idea what the specs of this racquet are but I would guess it's around 13 oz considering I think it's a lot heavier than the Volkl. Headsize is a couple inches bigger. This racquet is giving me results like the Volkl. My volleys are better and so are my serves, and this week I even beat a friend of mine that I had never beaten before. It's amazing what happens when your shots go in instead of way long or wide!

So my question to you is, what kinds of racquets should I check out that are like the Volkl? Also, my friend is offering to sell me her used Volkl for 60 dollars, and it's in great condition. Should I just go with this one? I feel overwhelmed since there are probably lots of racquets out there and I want to make sure I find the perfect racquet this time.

Rafa's best friend
11-17-2006, 06:33 AM
Must try the Babolat AEro pro drive, choice of RAFA the GREAT, much more controllable racket. Or try the new Dunlop rackets AERogel line.

HLM2
11-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Since it seems you want a controlling, somewhat hefty racquet new ones on the market that might suite you are the Head Prestige line, or radical. I hit agressive groundstrokes and just cannot keep the shots in with a power heavy racquet, and the liquidmetal radical works well for me.

anirut
11-17-2006, 07:48 AM
... So my question to you is, what kinds of racquets should I check out that are like the Volkl? Also, my friend is offering to sell me her used Volkl for 60 dollars, and it's in great condition. Should I just go with this one? I feel overwhelmed since there are probably lots of racquets out there and I want to make sure I find the perfect racquet this time.

For $60? Get it in a heart beat if it feels right to you.

You seem to be suited to 95 in^2 and below. There are a number of good rackets out there with this head size range.

BTW, if you like the Volkl feel and 93 inch head, try the current DNX 10 or the recent Tour 10 V-Engine. The V-Engine has 18x20 string pattern for precise control.

Cheers!

Bottle Rocket
11-17-2006, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=wfudeac;1070316]Serving has always been a huge weakness of mine and I noticed an immediate improvement. QUOTE]

I think you're experiencing the same thing people experience when they test drive a new car or try their friends stuff. You instantly love it because your expectations have changed. Your statement about the serves really gives it away, at least for me.

You should get one of these rackets you like from TW or a local shop and demo them for a week. Try a bunch of matches, get used to the frame. Your opinions will change. It is really easy to get attached to a racket quickly, but you need to demo one for a while... Maybe even a couple times. The initial feelings will fade. For the one racket where they do not, that is the one you want.

It seems like you enjoy a lower powered racket. I've found that going from a very powerful frame to a lower powered one, you always like the lower powered one. I was obsessed with a POG for a while for this same reason. You feel like you can't miss and you feel like you have more control. This is the idea behind these frames, it only puts out what you put in. Can you hendle the weight over a 5 set match?

Do you come to net a lot? Do you rely on heavy top spin? Tell us a little more about your game.

azarel
11-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Slighty off topic but Rocket, can you compare the Pure Drive Roddick to the Pure Storm. I know the Pure Storm was ur holy grail....

wfudeac
11-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi, the racquet is a Tour 10 V-Engine mid, sorry if I didn't make that clear before. Friend is offering to sell used for 60.00.

Style: Baseliner, but not a ton of topspin like Nadal. Would rather keep the ball in than blast winners, since I am physically fit and enjoy wearing people down. This doesn't mean I'm a pusher though, since I will aim for winners if I can get them, or attack the net for a short ball. I am a 3.5 player if that helps. The Babolat is too light and I don't like how it's too big and twists on off-center hits, as well as not having a lot of touch at net. I don't feel like ripping huge topspin just to keep the ball in.

anirut
11-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Hi, the racquet is a Tour 10 V-Engine mid, sorry if I didn't make that clear before. Friend is offering to sell used for 60.00.

Style: Baseliner, but not a ton of topspin like Nadal. Would rather keep the ball in than blast winners, since I am physically fit and enjoy wearing people down. This doesn't mean I'm a pusher though, since I will aim for winners if I can get them, or attack the net for a short ball. I am a 3.5 player if that helps. The Babolat is too light and I don't like how it's too big and twists on off-center hits, as well as not having a lot of touch at net. I don't feel like ripping huge topspin just to keep the ball in.

Yeah, the 10VE Mid is a scalpel. Precise. Very precise. Another great serving stick too. If you're fit to play with it, go ahead, get the racket. I don't know my level but we seem to have silmilar playing style. The 10VEmid can blast off good tops both wings too.

For ME, I find it to play best at the exact mid tension, 55 lbs, I think.

Just grab the racket from your friend, man. For 60 bucks I'd do it in a blink, esp if its in good condition.

I had used the 10VEmid from Jan until May, when I got the PK Redondo mid. Now, if you'd like to know why I switched, you can try a search around the board about the Redondo. (Also see the Redondo talks in my signature).

I'm not saying you should switch to the Redondo, but just to give you another option. If you already feel comfortable with the 10VEmid, just get it. It's a good racket for sure, one you will not regret.

Cheers!

donut
11-17-2006, 06:04 PM
since u like it.. its cheap and in good condition so y not? but if u want a new racket tryout the dnx10

Noveson
11-18-2006, 10:33 AM
since u like it.. its cheap and in good condition so y not? but if u want a new racket tryout the dnx10

Before you get the dnx10, you might want to look at the "Volkls are horrible thread." There are reasons that somebody created it;)

josephhkim
11-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Obviously, get the racket that you like the best.

However, it is true that usually when you first try a racket, it feel awesome, but after a while, your opinions change.

I would demo as many rackets and you can and try them out. Find which one you like the best.

I would probably go with a control racket with head of 95-98 inches or so.

Try out the head radical and prestige, two amazing rackets. Also, the n.six-one 95 is also a very nice racket, and it seems like it'll fit you.

Good luck.

McStud
11-18-2006, 10:53 AM
I will never understand Rafa's Best Friend. One of the worst/least intelligent posters on TW.

Bottle Rocket
11-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Slighty off topic but Rocket, can you compare the Pure Drive Roddick to the Pure Storm. I know the Pure Storm was ur holy grail....

I really like them both. In fact, aside from the stiffness issues, there is a real good chance I would be using the Pure Drive Roddick.

The Pure Drive Roddick is much crisper. It has the sweetest sweet spot of any sweet spot I have ever felt. The Pure Storm is SOLID, not as crisp.

The Pure Drive Roddick is definitely better for volleys, mostly because of the stability and crispness. It is more stable, but more harsh. Both of these attributes I think come from the differences in stiffness.

I feel like with the Pure Storm no matter how terrible you mis-hit the ball, you won't hurt yourself. I know you should watch the ball and all that, but everyone mis-hits the ball occasionally and shanks it out of the court. Those are very painful with the Pure Drive. Just a few of those can cause some serious arm issues.

I think in the feel department, the Pure Drive Roddick wins. It really feels nice, I can't emphasize that enough. The harder you hit the better it feels. The pop and impact sound is music to my ears.

Both are incredibly good seriving rackets, both also about as good as it get's for top spin ground strokes. The Pure Storm has slightly less power, giving the impression that it has more control. Maybe it does have more control, but I think the power level is to blame.

The Pure Drive Roddick is heavier, but with two overgrips, a dampener, and Luxilon, my Pure Storm is close to being the same weight. The Babolat plays heavier than it is, but you can really get some good racket head speed with it. I don't think the weight is really an issue, besides how it contributes to playability.

I think when you account for stiffness, feel, and playability from all areas of the court, the Pure Storm is one of the best rackets out there. The power level is just right. It takes no getting used to. It has given me a lot of confidence in all my shots.

If you don't mind the stiffness, want that really sweet sweet spot, and want the most powerful stick you can get, the Pure Drive Roddick is hard to beat.

They are fairly different playing/feeling rackets... Definitely worth a demo.