PDA

View Full Version : I need help with lead and my Pure Storm

TennisWooh
11-17-2006, 06:52 AM
I have a Pure Storm 98 (orange version) and I would like to put lead tape on it to make it more stable. I played with my friends N code 6.1 95 and I would like to make my Storm play similar to those specs. (Plow through effect, heavier ball, etc.)

Also... if someone could explain to me in "average joe" terms what traveljem is talking about in his SW1 vs SW2 formula, that would really help as I'm considering tyring that out too.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

Bottle Rocket
11-17-2006, 04:50 PM
I've experimented with lead on my Pure Storm a bunch of times. I always end up taking it off.

I think if you think the racket is lacking for volleys, you should switch to something else.

I didn't think the added stability or added "plow through" ever made anything better. Feel was lost with the weight. Manueverability was made worse. The plow through is not what this racket is about, not what a lot of frames in this category are about. It is about racket-head speed and hitting a solid shot.

If you really liked the nSix-One, why not make the switch?

What makes you want to make your Storm play like the Wilson versus getting the Wilson?

I think in stock form this racket is one of the best out there. If you need more weight, more stability, or anything like that, it might not be the right racket for you. At least, that is my opinion.

hadoken
11-17-2006, 05:06 PM
I agree with the prior post. Before I ditched the Storm I tried weight combos all over the place and I simply couldn't get it to work. It is a lightweight racquet and trying to make it a player's weight stick simply does not work...it's one thing to fine tune with lead but another to jack it up over 1.5 oz. Adding weight just increased the swingweight and reduced feel. I am very familiar with the Wilson 6.1 frames...I've hit with the Classic many times and it is simply impossible to get a storm towards that type of balance effectively

Kevo
11-18-2006, 05:01 PM
The Storm is a frame that likes to be whipped around at a high speed. It works very well for hitting with spin and pace, but you've got to really let it fly. It's not really all that great for plow through. I like it that way though. It helps keep the ball in the court and you can really hit some nice angles. Serves well too. If you wanted to experiment, I would try some lead at the top of the handle and maybe a tad at 3 and 9.

counterpuncher
11-19-2006, 01:12 PM
I have tried various lead combinations on this frame as well and found as others that any lead to the hoop made it very unwieldly.

What I have found to work well is weight on the handle. I used a full heat shrink sleeve with a thin replacement grip and an overgrip, but I am sure lead tape would work as well.

These mods have added about 18 grams. The power, stability and plow through have all increased at the expense of a little manueverability.