PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with this racquet

raiden031
11-17-2006, 01:45 PM
I have this racquet in my arsenal that I bought one day because I needed a spare to play a group session and had just broken all my strings on my other racquets. So I ran to Dick's and bought the cheapest decent racquet I could find. I bought a Prince Power Line Lob Ti 500 mid+ racquet ($50 but on sale for $40). I bought it because it was only 1 out of 2 racquets in their entire store that were not OS.

Stats are as follows:

Head: 97"
Strung weight: 295g (10.4 oz)
Pattern: 14M x 18C (never seen 14M pattern before)
Balance: 8pt HL
Material: Graphite/Fusionlite

Anyways it was ok at first but the more I play with it, and compare it to my Prince NXG mid, the more I don't like it. It seems like there is no stability and it is almost impossible to hit the sweet spot. It is like the most unforgiving racquet I have ever played with. Forget about trying to volley with this thing. Even the $25 cheapos made of aluminum are easier to play with than this thing.

What is wrong with these specifications? It is very light overall and HL, which doesn't seem right since most light racquets are HH. As far as size, my NXG is 92" and has what seems like a larger sweetspot than this thing. Could it be the odd string pattern? Could it be a bad string job by the manufacturers? It barely ever makes the popping noice when you do hit the sweetspot. Experts help!

hummer23
11-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Cheaper recreational racquets never play as well as the types of frames TW sells. The frame you bought is very light, and becasue of this, there is very little plough throw, and thus no sweet spot. A heavier frame would move through the ball better, and with greater stability, which is what your nxg did, and this provides a more stable feel and a sizeable sweetspot. String up your regular frames, this one won't do you any good.

cghipp
11-17-2006, 01:50 PM
I think it is too light to be that head light.

LowProfile
11-17-2006, 03:21 PM
That thing must have a swingweight of like 250. Way too unstable.

Amone
11-17-2006, 03:43 PM
See, I discovered a similar thing with a cheap racquet I bought at Target; it's absolutely terrible. I wondered if I could fix it with lead, and I haven't any reason to believe either way at this point. I still haven't tried, I've got too much else to deal with at this point.

thejerk
11-17-2006, 03:48 PM
sounds like a weight issue to me. I have a few prince rackets with 14 mains. All the 14 mains i've ever personally seen were all princes.