PDA

View Full Version : pure drive vs. pure drive roddick?

randomname
11-17-2006, 05:42 PM
just wondering if anyone who has played with both could compare them, sorry if this has already been posted

Amone
11-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Hurm! I hit with them both briefly. The Roddick felt nice. Damp, powerful, but solid. For my extended thoughts on the Pure Drive... see my post, The Pure Drive Standard (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=104415&highlight=pure+drive).

vxb
11-17-2006, 06:02 PM
I had Roddick for a while and just bought the PD cortex. I felt PDR had more control and power and just felt very solid. Unfortunately my elbow didn't agree with me and I had to sell the racquet. PDC is a nice racquet and from my limited playing experience seems to be more arm friendly. I also sereved better with pdc, it was easier to get it going. I did find a bit less control and power with pdc.

Bottle Rocket
11-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Pure Drive Roddick hurt your arm but the standard Pure Drive does not?

That is one of the weirdest things I have read in a long time.

power_play21
11-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Pure Drive Roddick hurt your arm but the standard Pure Drive does not?

That is one of the weirdest things I have read in a long time.

and thats one of the weirdest things I've heard in a long time.

PDR is a bit stiffer, heavier, and has a higher swingweight. All that translates into more impact on the arm, more demanding on the arm.

Ive played at least more then 8 months at a time with both, and when i switched to the PDR, even though my Pure Drive was a bit leaded, my wrist still had to adjust and my arm was sore for a week. Gone after that adjusting period, but i can definately see how someone can have problems with teh PDR and not the PD.

Gut Reaction
11-17-2006, 06:34 PM
The pure drive Roddick is a all hype. Its the exact same thing as if you would simply add lead tape to the Pure drive. In fact the Pure drive is better because you can customize it to play like the Roddic....but on the other hand you cannot make the Roddick lighter to play like the pure drive.

Check it out for yourself on TW...If memory serve correctly they are almost the same weight.

Amone
11-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Your statement is accurate, but not wholly. It's been theorized by some that more than a gram or two of lead, and you lose a lot of feel. Admittedly, I don't know if I subscribe to that theory, but I haven't seen anyone around here fix up a wal-mart racquet into an OS player's stick with lead yet.

Gut Reaction
11-17-2006, 07:47 PM
double [post

kchau
11-17-2006, 10:31 PM
the regular pure drive is not stable enough for me, which is why i am using the pdr+, i was actually making a crapshoot when i bought pdr's knowing that the new cortex woudl be coming out in a few weeks.

I went and played with the cortex, and behold, not stable, and too light.

Micky
11-17-2006, 10:33 PM
I had Roddick for a while and just bought the PD cortex. I felt PDR had more control and power and just felt very solid. Unfortunately my elbow didn't agree with me and I had to sell the racquet. PDC is a nice racquet and from my limited playing experience seems to be more arm friendly. I also sereved better with pdc, it was easier to get it going. I did find a bit less control and power with pdc.

Hola vxb,

I had been playing with the PDC+ for almost two months and tested the PDR with the same tension (58 nylon 17 and 56 Hurricane Pro 17) and damaged my wrist badly. I enjoyed the control the PDR had...and the pace and weight it added to the balls. I was thinking maybe go for 16 or 15L instead of the 17 gauge and keep the tension...or maybe drop another pound or so.

I am waiting until my wrist heals completely to give PDR another try. I really liked that racquet. Till then...luckily, I can take the pain with the PDC+ and keep playing.

Micky

crosscourt
11-18-2006, 03:12 AM
The PDR is the first Babolat that hasn't killed my elbow. If you can play with the PD then the cortex may not be an advantage, but for me it is. I have since played with the APD, and that was a little harsh, but only a little harsh on my elbow.

randomname
11-18-2006, 02:27 PM
also, does anyone know if the cortex makes that much of a difference in the new racquets? I just love the look of the older pure drives and I feel like the new ones look like they should be able to shoot lasers out of them

vxb
11-18-2006, 08:00 PM
I tried two string setups with pdr to no avail - my elbow was invariably hurting. Firstly it was strung with gosen sm 17 at 60 lbs and then I restrung it with ematrix 17 at 53 lbs. The pdc is strung with psgd/gosen combo at 62 lbs and
so far no elbow pain.

Gut Reaction
11-19-2006, 01:35 AM
the regular pure drive is not stable enough for me, which is why i am using the pdr+, i was actually making a crapshoot when i bought pdr's knowing that the new cortex woudl be coming out in a few weeks.

I went and played with the cortex, and behold, not stable, and too light.

first of all I would never buy a PD without cortex. The difference in price is like 10 bucks. I think its just a matter of time before the public figures it out....no one will be buying the old PD's.

Now as far as deciding between the Roddick cortex and the regular cortex.....its a joke. They are the same freaking racquet!!! The PD Cortex is 11.2 ounces and the Roddick cortex is 11.7 ounces!!!! Its just freaking lead tape!!!! What a gimmick!!!!

FuriousYellow
11-20-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm demoing the PDR and the PC this week, just to see if I can squeeze some more pace on my shots and serve. The PDR and PC have the same static weight and nearly the same SW, but the PDR feels noticeably heftier than the PC.