PDA

View Full Version : mental game

thejackal
11-17-2006, 06:25 PM
how would you describe your mental game? do you get angry or discouraged easily in tight matches?

Kabob190
11-17-2006, 06:37 PM
lets just say ive lost my fair share of matches because i have a weak mental game. i was winning 6-2 in a proset match at a tourney. i lost 6-8. many many more similar to that one. i actually know where i lost my confidence in that match. i wish i had a mental game, heck i just wish i had game.

nalbandian_fan
11-17-2006, 07:58 PM
i had to say so-so, but im so close to an upset victory i can smell it, i keep taking sets off of kids who used to beat me 0,0. but i just cant seem to pull off the entire match yet.

looseswing
11-17-2006, 08:19 PM
I have below average mental stability. I get nervous when I play anyone, anytime unless if they are a begenner, but even then I feel pressure because I think I need to win 0 and 0. My mental game is getting better though.

thejackal
11-17-2006, 08:27 PM
maybe it's just something that gets better with time. i like to think that i have above-average mental game in terms of being prepared and not getting out of control emotionally, but of course i do lose the odd match against weaker players.

TennisNinja
03-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Wierdly, I play better against players that are a higher level than me, and worse when they're worse. I feel like I have less to lose when I'm playing someone more skilled, so I end up being more relaxed and then I rarely choke and tense up.

counterpunch _god
03-29-2007, 07:53 PM
I think my mental game is my biggest weapon, cuz i have never lost a tournament tiebreak in my life...

timm
03-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Wierdly, I play better against players that are a higher level than me, and worse when they're worse. I feel like I have less to lose when I'm playing someone more skilled, so I end up being more relaxed and then I rarely choke and tense up.
that is exactly how i feel

TennisNinja
03-31-2007, 02:07 PM
I think my mental game is my biggest weapon, cuz i have never lost a tournament tiebreak in my life...

That is really good.:)

Baghdatis72
03-31-2007, 07:29 PM
Above average I believe as I always forget the point that finished and focus on the next one while fighting until the end of the match.

Voltron
03-31-2007, 07:51 PM
I don't get discouraged, I enjoy playing pushers.

Noveson
03-31-2007, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't say it is my biggest weapon, that would be more like my quickness and athletic ability. But me being mad doesn't hurt my game, and I don't take points off very often. Sometimes I will go for waay more than I need, which leads to UEs.

jakshemash
03-31-2007, 09:51 PM
I have a strong mental game, not my biggest weapon as my strokes and my different styles of play/tactics i.e baseline attacking/defensive, s/v or my usual all court style depending on situation are the best part but it is a strong part of my game as even though i get nervous, because i like to win every match i just keep fighting. I often have matches where i start real bad and pull it off, sometimes in straight sets as my coming back and winning demoralises the opponent and they either give up or get angry and start playing badly.

TennisNinja
04-01-2007, 09:06 AM
A lot of times I take a big lead, such as once I was winning 5-0 in a pro set, but then the guy started winning a lot more, and he actually took the lead at 9-8. This happens to me a lot and although I won that match in a tiebreaker, I would like to fix this.

dave333
04-03-2007, 04:18 PM
My mental game pwns. Its nadal-like basically. My partner tends to be more pessimistic so I have to counter that with high fives, punches, pumps and words of support.

ayoPATRICIO
04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm very the so-so mentality. When I'm up, I'll finish off easy. But when I'm down, I fight, but eventually loose my cool and give an occasional yell.

Ryan in Saratoga
04-03-2007, 04:56 PM
i would say i am so-so in doubles as my doubles game is weaker than my singles, but in singles i would say besides just being fit my state of mind is my biggest weapon.

nhstennis
04-03-2007, 05:24 PM
any of you guys play down ti unskilled players like I do? Big problem for me.
i have lost so many wasy matched because i dont hit my real strokes due to lack of confidence in shots. I patty the ball and pay the price........BAD Mental GAME.!!

mhstennis100
04-03-2007, 05:31 PM
My mental game used to be crap but in the 12-13 age it started getting better. I hardly ever lose my cool anymore.

tennisprofl
04-03-2007, 05:42 PM

Maybe youve never played a tiebreak...

tennisprofl
04-03-2007, 05:45 PM
my mental game might be my biggest weapon. i never get upset visibly, and i try to relax and calm down during big points/matches. i dont have trouble beating lesser players, and i often bother better players because of my mental toughness. i try not to give up and to stay confident, because when you are, you play much better

swuster
04-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Mental game could be a lot better, for sure. One bad mistake sometimes leads to a downward spiral. I find double faulting really ticks me off; it might only happen once or twice during a set, but it can really kill my game.

Kaptain Karl
04-03-2007, 08:48 PM
As a Junior my mental state was ... unbalanced. I'd win matches against much better players (by rank). I'd lose horribly to guys my similar rank. And I made McEnroe look like an angel.

At 19 I suddenly realized how dopey I was being. From then-on my mental game has gotten steadily better. (Oh! How I wish my 50 mind could have played in my 25 body...!)

It wasn't until I stopped paying attention to "being a nice guy" though, that my mind really got "tougher". Now ... if I draw someone I determine I should be able to beat in straight sets, I strive to beat them with two breaks in each set. ... if someone from our ladder challenges me and I know i should lose only three or four games, I strive to serve two bagels. ... if I'm UP 5-2, I do my darndest to finish 'em off" 6-2. (You get the idea....)

A big change came from what I kept reminding my HS Boys to do. When I walk up to them at the fence on a changeover, I expect them to speak first. I want to know they're paying attention to their own match by telling me "What's working; what's not."

(Strangely) it wasn't until I began insisting they do this ... that I really started doing it myself. It helps keep me focused on *this match* and doing what I should be doing....

- KK

Tennis4203
04-16-2007, 12:44 AM
for me, my mental game i would say is my worst asset. If i'm down 3-2 i would choke, but if i'm down 3-0 i play my best because that is when i go (ITZ) in the zone for some odd reason. I don't throw my racquet or anything, but i'm always nervous for EVERY match, it doesn't matter who i'm versing i just seem to tense up sooo much i can't think straight. This usually holds me back from playing to my level. In the warm up i hit winners, in the game i hit unforced errors

gdsballer
04-16-2007, 05:33 AM
i alwyas do the worst when i play kids that suck and i start easing up on my shots and get frustrated cause i feel liek i shoudl just hit the ball and not go easy on someone

NebAce1
04-16-2007, 08:07 AM
My mental game is so-so. Not that I get that angry or anything, but I sometimes start to lose my will to win, and I get softer, and slowly fall out of the match. Also when I am playing a really good player and lets say I win the first set or take a lead. I start to get very nervous, becuase I realize that I'm beating a good player and I could win. (hard to explain)

Kaptain Karl
04-16-2007, 08:58 AM
In the warm up i hit winners, in the game i hit unforced errorsMay I suggest you warm up differently? The warm up *isn't* for practicing winners. It's for getting a sense of how fast/slow the court is playing and getting an idea of the kind of pace and shots your opponent uses.

Try warming up something like this:
1 - Hit six balls comfortably to your opponent's FH. (No matter where he hits the ball back.) You'll get an idea of his FH consistency.

2 - Hit six to his BH. Did you notice his preference for one side or the other? Did you notice an obvious difference in his ability to play one side or the other?

3 - Hit six balls at him. Does he prefer to take them as FHs or BHs? (That could be a clue.)

4 - Move to the Net. Hit six consecutive volleys to his FH ... six to his BH ... three or four right at him. (Pay attention to whether you have confirmed or brought doubt to the clues from the ground strokes.)

5 - Hit six overheads. Use the first three to get your timing down. Use the last three to "let 'em rip." Blasting a few helps burn off any excess nervous energy ... and it feels good. (That was more for you than for analyzing him.)

6 - Hit three serves to the Deuce court, trying for each of the three major targets (Wide, Jam, T). Hit three to the Ad court.

Pay attention to the spin and speed of his serves as he serves them back. (It could be a clue.)

Your 5 minute warm up is finished.

Now you have an idea of his stronger or preferred side. You have and idea what shot he runs around the most. You have a sense of his FH or BH consistency. You (may) know if you are up against a "big server" or not....

- KK

TennisNinja
04-16-2007, 02:30 PM
May I suggest you warm up differently? The warm up *isn't* for practicing winners. It's for getting a sense of how fast/slow the court is playing and getting an idea of the kind of pace and shots your opponent uses.

Try warming up something like this:
1 - Hit six balls comfortably to your opponent's FH. (No matter where he hits the ball back.) You'll get an idea of his FH consistency.

2 - Hit six to his BH. Did you notice his preference for one side or the other? Did you notice an obvious difference in his ability to play one side or the other?

3 - Hit six balls at him. Does he prefer to take them as FHs or BHs? (That could be a clue.)

4 - Move to the Net. Hit six consecutive volleys to his FH ... six to his BH ... three or four right at him. (Pay attention to whether you have confirmed or brought doubt to the clues from the ground strokes.)

5 - Hit six overheads. Use the first three to get your timing down. Use the last three to "let 'em rip." Blasting a few helps burn off any excess nervous energy ... and it feels good. (That was more for you than for analyzing him.)

6 - Hit three serves to the Deuce court, trying for each of the three major targets (Wide, Jam, T). Hit three to the Ad court.

Pay attention to the spin and speed of his serves as he serves them back. (It could be a clue.)

Your 5 minute warm up is finished.

Now you have an idea of his stronger or preferred side. You have and idea what shot he runs around the most. You have a sense of his FH or BH consistency. You (may) know if you are up against a "big server" or not....

- KK

Wow, great tips, I've never thought of it like that.

iplaybetter
04-16-2007, 02:32 PM
between below average and safin but more safin but less bad days

103xStateChamp
04-16-2007, 03:56 PM
I have a good mental game but the thing that makes me mad is when a kid changes the scorecard during even games or he gets a drink and talks to his coach =0

Ronny
04-17-2007, 05:00 AM
i tend to take point very comfortably and rarely do i get nervous but my anger has let me down a few times

EasternRocks
05-08-2007, 05:55 PM
tennis is a game that depends on mental mostly 90% mental 10% skillz

nino1991
05-12-2007, 11:17 AM
I've got to say my mental game is terrible, I go from completely dominating a match to losing a set 6-1, I guess my head-game is just like my favorite player, Safin. I somehow manage to lose to players which i am way better than ( I know I don't sound to humble lol) but my conmfidence comes and goes like the wind, I can have a match were I'm serving ace after ace and hitting winners from all over and then miss a shot, lose all confidence and get frustrated, sending ball after ball long. I'm a 4.5 player btw

chris1992
05-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Im more of a safin-esque player, i tend to lose matches due to a couple of mistakes, which ruins my chances. Any tips, because i find it really hard to practice my mental game unless i play loads of matches.

thejackal
05-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Im more of a safin-esque player, i tend to lose matches due to a couple of mistakes, which ruins my chances. Any tips, because i find it really hard to practice my mental game unless i play loads of matches.

try to lower your expectations. even if you're playing really well on the practice court, understand that it won't always be that easy in matches. safin's problem, according to his former coach wilander, is that he's always trying to live up to the 2000 USO final against sampras, when he basically zoned for 3 full sets - that will never happen again. just use what shots u happen to have on the day, and dont put too much pressure on yourself to hit the ball at 110% all the time.

chris1992
05-14-2007, 10:26 AM
thanks, appreciate the help, i find however that if i try to be less risky, i end up hitting weak, short balls and dont use my ability. Its either, all out or nothing at all for me when playing a match.

thejackal
05-14-2007, 11:05 AM
its okay to swing out and go for your shots, but dont get mad if u miss a shot that you dont even make all the time in practice. dont be so judgemental of yourself and think about the next point rather than your last error. instead of thinking "i suck" or "this isnt my day" just brush it off and look objectively at your shot selection (maybe you should have hit crosscourt on the last passing shot, or get the first serve in instead of relying on your second serve all the time)

mentalcase
05-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Safin-esque :cry:

MJM2324
05-15-2007, 03:51 PM
safin-esque... I am a good player, just not when I am in like an actual match... I lose my court sense, and can't really consolidate breaks... also, when my mentality starts to do down hill, then follows serve, footwork, groundstrokes, etc. Just need to work on my confidence and mental capacity for tennis (being kinda ADD doesnt help either ;) )

cujays
05-29-2007, 05:23 AM
im above average
i try to never let my oppenet know im mad
i dont think about past games, good or bad

andymac1
05-29-2007, 09:43 PM
I usually never lose the game mentally, but I just keep saying to myself, "It's just another point, nothing more different than the last". That really helps calm me down when I'm playing.