PDA

View Full Version : Roddick looks like a pufferfish.

emcee
03-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Notice how Rod always looks like a pufferfish while hitting a shot. Teach that technique to Maria Sharapova so she can quiet down a bit.

sseemiller
03-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Yeah, he does. But most players don't look their best when they are concentrating on shots. Moya looks about 10 years older than he is, and even Anna didn't look her best then. :lol: Sorry, if this is considered too pro-Roddick, but it's the truth. :lol: And my current fave, Rafael Nadal, has this annoying habit of, shall we say adjusting his pants before he serves. Other people call it wedgie-picking. But hey, whatever works for these players . . . .

But I thought I'd post a link to Jon Wertheim's column this week; it has some interesting stuff, as usual. Something for everyone. It's titled, quite appropriately given recent discussions: "Good sports: Compared to most athletes, tennis players are stand-up individuals."

Here's the link. Jon is a sports writer for Sports Illustrated. He answers fan questions every week, and they are often interesting:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/jon_wertheim/03/08/mailbag/index.html

[/url]

Foo4Everlong
03-08-2004, 06:58 PM
He also has a lazy eye, or a crossed eye somewhere there. Later

@wright
03-08-2004, 07:22 PM
I heard he had a third nipple and webbed feet...

I bet we would all look rediculous if someone were to take a picture just as we're striking the ball.

sseemiller
03-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Yes, here's a case in point. Someone as gorgeous as Carlos looks good in some strike-the ball photos:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040307/capt.aca11803070327.mexico_tennis_aca118.jpg

And not so good in others. :lol:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040307/capt.aca11503072311.mexico_tennis_aca115.jpg

Although it's hard to get a really bad photo of him, IMO. :wink: Unlike Rafael, where we have some truly bad photos of him. :lol:

@wright
03-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Carlos is a stud, too bad he's got the tattoo to go along with the Eurotrash image...

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
03-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Ya, the 'too and the sleeveless need to go. But otherwise, he's still my boy for sure. I have a pic of myself hitting the ball, and I actually look surprisingly relaxed (my face at least).

sseemiller
03-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Now, I love his tattoo, and his sleeveless. I'm glad the forecast is for hot weater at IW. :lol:

And I also love his 5 o'clock shadow, which he has at 8 a.m. in the morning. I still haven't figured out he has the same shadow all day long. :wink:

Also, PCMD, I was just reading an article today that says he has the best record on the ATP after Federer for this year, in terms of results in tourneys entered. I think he's been in the finals of all but one of the tourneys he played. Although Hrbaty has done pretty well in that area, too. :D

And you were talking about disproportionate arms. Look at Rafa's left arm -- and this kid is 17. :lol:

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/AD/AA/28725677-6bf1-01010180-.jpg

Cypo
03-09-2004, 04:37 AM
I think Susan's pics of Carlos are the final word in the discussion about whether the one or two handed backhand is prettier :-)

Rabbit
03-09-2004, 05:16 AM
Roddick's exhale on strokes is a technique that is taught to most all juniors around here now. It is supposed to help with muscle contraction, timing, and concentration. Unfortunately, most of the juniors around here are taught to do it in conjunction with a noise. The theory is that if you exhale on the stroke, 1) your muscles will contract better if you are forcing an exhale, 2) to do this, you must time the exhale with the stroke, and 3) to time the exhale you must concentrate on what you're doing. Supposedly it promotes focus and concentration. I'm afraid if I tried it I'd start to hyperventilate. :shock:

magiset
03-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Next question. Why do Roddick's lips always look blue?

SonicSpeed
03-09-2004, 11:08 PM
He's unhealthy...lack of good blood or good blood flow around in the area. (JK!)

I don't know why either. I dont' think it's really that blue anymore though. It used to be super blue during USO 2002. Now it seems more normal.

D. Nelson
03-10-2004, 04:15 AM
I heard he had a third nipple and webbed feet...

I bet we would all look rediculous if someone were to take a picture just as we're striking the ball.

.......that ALMOST got me to blow my mexican omelet all over my monitor...HILARIOUS !!!!!!!

equinox
12-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Fred Stolle was talking about Marty Fish doing this action at hopman cup.

Many of the american trained players exhale to gain more power on there shots. True or not, i don't know.

Noveson
12-30-2007, 10:17 PM
lol
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/256257~Andy-Roddick-Posters.jpg

norcal
12-31-2007, 09:31 AM
lol
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/256257~Andy-Roddick-Posters.jpgClinton didn't inhale and Roddick didn't exhale!

dirkgnuf
12-31-2007, 10:22 AM
No offense, but why resurrect a three-year old thread?

tintin
12-31-2007, 10:33 AM
he looks about 2x that size now

norcal
12-31-2007, 10:46 AM
No offense, but why resurrect a three-year old thread?
equinox is doing it all over the mb. Maybe he's nostalgic?

sureshs
12-31-2007, 11:45 AM
I see several juniors adopting this technique. They puff up their cheeks and make a strange sound as they exhale. It is not the usual scream or grunt, but more like a hiss. The first time I heard this, I thought that a steam pipe or something like that was leaking nearby and went to look for it.

Jonny S&V
12-31-2007, 11:49 AM
I see several juniors adopting this technique. They puff up their cheeks and make a strange sound as they exhale. It is not the usual scream or grunt, but more like a hiss. The first time I heard this, I thought that a steam pipe or something like that was leaking nearby and went to look for it.

Well, it's either grunt or exhale deeply, and I would take exhale deeply any day (unless I'm nervous, then it's grunting all the way...).