PDA

View Full Version : bicep pain from hitting with straight arm?

mrfurious
08-12-2004, 09:32 AM
I tend to mimic federer's forehand, that is... straighting out my arm probably a little more than I should on contact.

It seems to work nicely, but now I'm having pain on the inside of my biceps, right above my elbow.

Is this a result of hitting with a straight arm? Mind you, I'm not hitting with my arm completely straight...

hihihi8402
09-09-2004, 10:58 AM
I have the same kind of pain. I don' t know what it's from though. But now that you mention it, I do hit with my arm extended...

Rickson
09-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Your forehand never, ever has to be hit with a straight arm. Change that form now or risk injury for life.

hihihi8402
09-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Why is it bad and what is the correct position?

--Mike

Xevoius
10-12-2004, 12:46 PM
I had this pain as well and really really bad I might add. I switched to a POG 107 and the pain was gone instantly. I could play all day and not have any soreness in my bicep and I think the added heft of the frame really helped.

I think I figured out that my pain was coming from my serve and not my forehand which I originally thought. I was tossing the ball straight out and arming the serve instead of throwing the ball off to the right and using more of the coiling strength of my body. My serve was huge when I armed it and it took me some time to figure out how to time the new motion correctly to get the same pace.

I also think I might not have been hitting the ball out in front enough on my forehand and this aggrovated the problem. I have made a conscious effort to fix these motions and switched to the POG and everything is fine... except for my damn shin splints!!! :cry:

http://www.racquetresearch.com/

Check out the elbow crunch section.

James Brown
10-12-2004, 03:04 PM
i had the pain too. it came from overpronating the wirst/forearm in my strokes and serve. it also came from having my elbow super bent when serving. most problems come from the serve. try to fix that and see if it goes away,

good luck

david7410
10-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Wow, you both just took the words right out of my mouth. I too thought it was my forehand, but it was actually my serve. Since I posted this topic, I have completely changed my service motion and it has really helped. I used to try and serve like Sampras, bending my elbow and using mostly my forearm to hit the ball "down".

I have changed to serving more like Federer, I throw the ball way into the court, bend back and fling myself forward, letting the racquet and my body do the work. I actually get more consistant, faster paced serves now... with NO PAIN. It's awesome.

Rickson
10-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Why is it bad and what is the correct position?

--Mike
By hitting a forehand with a straightened arm, you are subjecting your elbow to an enormous amount of stress. If my arm happens to be straight just before contact, I make sure I bend it once the racquet head strikes the ball.