PDA

View Full Version : anything wrong with the NXG Tour Graphite?

rainmaker
11-18-2006, 08:55 AM
been looking for a good heavier weight 100 head size racquet and keep coming back to the Prince collection...

came across TW's sale for an NXG Tour Graphite Mid plus...

12.2 oz, 100 head size, and 27.25 length... sounds like a great combo...

also like the Tour Diablo...

i currently use a n6.2 100...and the elbow pain is really getting on my nerves!

bcsax123
11-18-2006, 12:15 PM
POG OS is better. The head size is basically the same even though it's 107.

righty
11-18-2006, 12:47 PM
been looking for a good heavier weight 100 head size racquet and keep coming back to the Prince collection...

came across TW's sale for an NXG Tour Graphite Mid plus...

12.2 oz, 100 head size, and 27.25 length... sounds like a great combo...

also like the Tour Diablo...

i currently use a n6.2 100...and the elbow pain is really getting on my nerves!
Excellent racquet if you bring your own power. The control is superb. I'd recommend that you try the OS. That has a little more power, and is still a good control racquet

KFwinds
11-18-2006, 05:54 PM
NXG mp, Diablo mp, and O3 Tour mp - all very comfortable frames. Out of the three, the Diablo feels the most "crisp" but not uncomfortable. I had an NXG mp a few years ago, and you definitely get some nice weight behind the shot; I just needed a bit more feedback from the stringbed. You don't feel the ball much with the NXG models.

fuzz nation
11-18-2006, 06:28 PM
I prefer the NXG mp to the others and keep one handy as my off-day racquet. I used it today as a matter of fact--Prostaff 6.1 Classic is my usual and I'm experimenting with the LM Prestige mid--the NXG plays just a little lighter than my other two, but it's a little lower powered, too. The upside is the extra spin I get over pace; it's easier to land strokes, and spin on serves is almost unlimited, but the tradeoff is a bit less stability, especially on volleys and returns of serve. I'm comparing it to other frames I use, but on its own the NXG mp is an excellent frame and a great deal. I'd recommend it over the Head LM Radical mp without reservation--I've owned both. I string my NXG up to 65-67 lbs with good synthetic to get the control I want from it and it can be easily customized.

rainmaker
11-18-2006, 06:49 PM
thanks for the replies...

some have said the POG is the way to go....

but i don't really want something "larger" if you know what i mean...

do you think the POG 107 is that much of a difference from the Tour NGX 100?

both look about the same...

man it can get pretty confusing sometimes... (wish the local USTA shop had a POG for demo...)

bcsax123
11-18-2006, 07:13 PM
thanks for the replies...

some have said the POG is the way to go....

but i don't really want something "larger" if you know what i mean...

do you think the POG 107 is that much of a difference from the Tour NGX 100?

both look about the same...

man it can get pretty confusing sometimes... (wish the local USTA shop had a POG for demo...)

I played with a NXG MP before and it felt bad on everything except serves. Groundstrokes, volleys, overheads, spin, slice and everything else was much better with my POG OS. Serving however, the NXG could hit bombs, while my POG could not.

Below in blue is roughly the inside edge of the NXG.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3350/pogosmz3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

rainmaker
11-18-2006, 07:35 PM
wow! thanks for the comparison... that 107 doesn't look much bigger than the NGX..

how can i increase power on the POG?? besides physically swinging it faster/harder??

how about original synthetic gut in 16? what tension?

thanks again... i think i'm sold...

bcsax123
11-18-2006, 07:46 PM
I usually use Prince Original Sythetic, or sometimes PSGD, both 16 guage, and I usually string it at 65lbs. At 65lbs it has about the same control as a 90" mid @53lbs, which is pretty good.

But if you cant power, string it at 60lbs. I remember when I did that and my balls very constantly landing deep, even if I don't try very hard.

If you can handle it, add 5 grams to 3 & 9, and it seems there's more power.

BTW, the power of the POG OS isn't like your racquet, where it just comes off the stringbed really fast even without much effort, but how it can hit a heavy topspin ball to the baseline that bounces up like 5 ft up. I have never used another racquet that can do that.

rainmaker
11-18-2006, 08:30 PM
topspin to 5ft??? i'm drooling!!!!

thanks for the 411

bcsax123
11-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Of course, you need to get a good whack on the ball witha full western forehand to do that.

But again serving isn't a plus, so if you suck at serving like me (Which is why a got a FXP Prestige MP, a easy serving stick), its not the racquet for you.

FiZ
11-18-2006, 09:19 PM
i switched from the pog os to the nxg mp and my shoulder tore off because the top half of the stringbed is dead stiff

i have never tried the mid or os though

rainmaker
11-19-2006, 12:19 PM
from all the great things i've heard of the POG why would you want to switch to something else???

if it's that bad for serving can't you just sting it with less tension to get more bounce?

bcsax123
11-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Yes I can string it lower, but I don't like the feel of a loose OS. Tighter tensions make it feel like a larger mid or smaller MP.

My game has change dramatically this past year from a topspin baseline grinder to a all court serve and volleyer. It's easier to win that way, but is hard to get good at. The FXP Prestige is a much better serve and volley racquet being awesome at hitting powerful serves, but with a low swingweight thats good for volleys.

I play with both, it just depends who I play against. A pusher, I would definately use my POG to win with massive topspin then a very short slice because the ball speed is slower. Against agressive baseliners, I would use the Prestige, because all they know how to hit is just lobs and power shots when I'm at the net, and I'm good at volleying. Against junkballers, I use the POG because the head is bigger and more forgiving.

Most people are baseliners theses days so i use the Prestige more often, maybe 70% of the time.

rainmaker
11-19-2006, 01:46 PM
the Head flexpoint radical tour in 100 seems to be able to balance both worlds...have you tried this stick?

bcsax123
11-19-2006, 02:33 PM
the Head flexpoint radical tour in 100 seems to be able to balance both worlds...have you tried this stick?

No, but I know the POG is a much better baseline racquet, being flexible. The Prestige has more control and a denser pattern, which you need to control volleys.

I always go back to my POG, because it just feels natural in my hand after 5 years of using it.

I can generate more topspin with my Prestige than most people anyways, so the POG is only used when I want more power.

Hewitt rulez
11-19-2006, 03:20 PM
I did not care for it because it felt stiff and I even began to get pain in my wrist. I've never tried it but Ive heard very good things about the POG so I would go with it.

AJK1
11-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Yeah, the Head Flexpoint Radical Tour is the best 100sqin stick out there.

Bottle Rocket
11-19-2006, 04:54 PM
I think there are a few important issues that haven't been brought up here.

Going from the nSix-two to a POG is a HUGE jump, about as big as they get.

Even without the sheer mass of the POG compared to the nSix-two they are totally different.

Have you ever played with a much heavier frame?

You haven't said anything about the way you play or what you look for in a racket.

It seems all you've mentioned is your arm pain, which would lead to a heavier racket. The POG is about as heavy as they come though, are you sure that is what you want? I don't know anybody that could switch from that nSix-two to a POG and play a 3 setter without an issue. The mass is especially evident on serves.

What kind of game do you play?

rainmaker
11-19-2006, 06:25 PM
just like i said on the first thread... i'm pretty much looking for a heavier stick that is also as close to my current one in terms of size/height/etc. I like the 100 headsize because of its slightly larger sweetspot. I am 5'8" 190lbs 40yrs medium build (excercise and lift weights everyday) and a very agressive baseliner... my volley is pretty good, my serve is pretty good, and pretty good at the net...

pretty much a good all around court player...not great but descent!

don't know what my level is but if i had to guess it would be 3.5 or maybe higher. (based on what i'm told by opponents, friends, etc)

one thing i've noticed is on strong returns my n6.2 is not heavy enough to manage them and tends to vibrate and wobble...not as stable as i'd like it to be.

and after about 2hrs of practice/matches my elbow hurts like hell.

most say a heavier stick would do the trick. I dont' want to get another racquet that is just slightly heavier because i don't believe it would make much of a difference so going from 10.5oz to 11oz won't do it for me.

I was thinking more in the lines of a 11.7, 12oz, or something in that area but I also want something in 100 and standard length (or very close to it)

believe me i'll adjust to the extra weight.

i like the Prince Tour Diablo MP, NGX MP, and have considered the POG OS (only because i'm told the POG OS is very close to a 100 in head size)

that pretty much sums it up!

EliteNinja
11-19-2006, 06:32 PM
I played with a NXG MP before and it felt bad on everything except serves. Groundstrokes, volleys, overheads, spin, slice and everything else was much better with my POG OS. Serving however, the NXG could hit bombs, while my POG could not.

exactly what I feel
Everything is pretty average. Serves are bombs.
Hurt my shoulder using it.
Yonex for the win.:p

AJK1
11-19-2006, 06:36 PM
rainman, the Head Flexpoint Radical Tour is pretty close to what you describe.

bcsax123
11-19-2006, 06:46 PM
Maybe you should add a leather grip and some lead in the head to increase the weight of your n6.2 first. The leather will increase weight by about .3oz. Then wrap 20 inches of lead tape, assuming the tape you but is 1/2 gram an inch, to the area right above the handle. Then add the rest of the pack to 10 and 2. This should increase SW enough (I'm guessing maybe 330-340) to make your racket stable. The swingweight is only 302 which could be the problem.

stormholloway
11-19-2006, 07:01 PM
I wish there was a 95" POG.. is the 93" one of these racquets that's actually a 90" like a Prestige or is it a real 93"?

bcsax123
11-19-2006, 07:31 PM
It was orginally 90" but got remeasured as a 93".

It plays like a 95 because the head is fairly round, not narrow like most mids.

rainmaker
11-20-2006, 12:25 PM
went down to a local shop and was introduced to a head classic tour MP in 102sq inch... 12oz and standard length...

was pretty impressed with the feel and weight... they only had a smaller 98 for demo....which is not what i'm looking for...

any thoughts on the 102 stick?

haerdalis
11-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Radical tour is a good racquet I think. You could look into the PK 5g aswell. A great racquet and good price too.

Voltron
11-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Why don't you try a Yonex RDS 001 Mid or MP, fantastic racquets, about as good as the POG in my opinion. Maybe better.