PDA

View Full Version : prestige classic vs i prestige mid

tennisguy11
11-18-2006, 02:51 PM
I have a chance to get one of these free of charge. Can someone who has played with both of these racquets give them a comparrison/review.
Thanks!

Gabs011
11-18-2006, 04:15 PM
While I am no Head Prestige expert unlike a select few on these boards, I have played with both frames so here is my take on the two rackets;

Groundstrokes;

PC 600 - This racket is a classic for a reason. The feel on the groundies is just unparalled. I don't think I have hit with many rackets that have as nice a feel as the PC 600. However you have to bear in mind that feel does not always translate into performance. While the PC 600 has extraordinary feel, you are going to get more power of the later incarnations of the Prestige such as the Flexpoint version. Even just picking up the racket before even hitting on the court you can feel that it is really special. The balance on it is just right.

I.prestige - This racket is reknown for its stiffness. Its is considerably stiffer than the PC 600. So you are not going to get that classic buttery feel. However the feeling is one that you can get used to very quickly. It is in no way bad....just different. I guess you could say that is more crisp. Nevertheless I must say I prefer the PC600 in this area - like I said, in this department, is it unmatchable by any other racket on the market.

Serves

PC600 - A good racket for serving - just look at all the big servers who do/have use/used this racket eg. Safin, Ivanisevic, Phillipousis etc. The flat bombs are just fantastic with this stick. However, access to spin wasn't the best in my opinion. This is a great serving racket if you have an excellent serving motion. Therefore if you put in the effort and concentrate on your technique you will be rewarded.

I.prestige - this is probably one of the areas where the i.prestige is better IMO than the PC 600. The stiffness of the racket really works a treat here. Flat/slice/kick serves were all a dream with this racket.

Volleys

While I am not one who goes to the net all too often I must say both rackets were pretty nice for volleying. In their own way, both are good in this category.

Overall

With the PC 600 you are probably buying a more demanding racket. In practice it can feel great, however in the third set of a tough match you can really feel the heft of the racket. Yet, if you are physically strong enough and sound technically you be rewarded immensely. It is IMO of the best, if not THE best racket, ever produced. It just feels so nice to play with. It is demanding yes, but not in annoying way (i.e. PS Tour 90). It does not feel like a log and with the right string it is simply a dream to play with.

The i.prestige does not replicate the feel of the PC 600 - but in its unique way it has a pretty nice feel as well. It has more power, more crispness and more pop. It is also a less demanding frame, you do not need to put in as much effort with this one to get the most out of it. It is funny, when this racket was widely available it did not get as many rave reviews as it does now. It is pretty damn rare, especially in the midsize. Maybe even more so than the PC 600 which is now sold again by TW.

You cannot go wrong either way. Both rackets are absolutely fantastic, make sure you enjoy the one you get, and don't sell it on after a couple of weeks if you get tired on playing with a demanding frame. Believe me, in the long run it will pay dividends.

Hope this helps

tennisguy11
11-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Gabs, thanks so much for taking the time to help me.

d_techie
11-18-2006, 06:41 PM
IMO, you should take one for free and then buy the other one since those racket is rather hard to find nowadays...(if the PC is the made in Austria version)

Deuce
11-18-2006, 11:44 PM
So... you're going to steal one or the other, huh?

Well... as long as you don't steal mine.

The Prestige Classic is unique. It has a very soft, very comfortable feel.

The iPrestige feels very much like a Pro Staff 6.0 85 - only with a larger head and different string pattern. Very crisp. Very solid frame.

I like both.

The Classic looks nicer, though.