PDA

View Full Version : Wood Tennis Article.. thoughts

stormholloway
11-18-2006, 06:09 PM
http://www.woodtennis.com/borg/barnstorming.txt

This may have been posted previously, but I'm curious what people think about the ideas here, especially the younger players who only know modern tennis.

I agree with the article wholeheartedly and I was born in the 80s, so this isn't a nostalgia thing with me.

Any thoughts?

Mick
11-18-2006, 06:34 PM
if your goal is to have a good work out, playing with a wood racquet is terrific. However, if you want to win then you have to be a whole lot better than your opponent to have a chance and most people usually want both (to win and have a good work out)

stormholloway
11-18-2006, 07:31 PM
My goal is to have fun. I have much more fun playing with wood and if my opponent has wood then it doesn't matter about winning cause the playing field is level so to speak.

DX_Psycho
11-18-2006, 07:32 PM
i tried out last week. The serve suffers the most. Hitting flat bombs is very hard and if i hit the sweetspot squarely it feels like my racquet is going to break.

DRtenniS1112
11-18-2006, 07:39 PM
I am a college player and have just recently really learned about tennis. Even though I am an accomplished high 4.5 I never really understood the whole wood thing and what not. What sparked my interest was a wooden racket tournament. I entered with a friend not knowing what would happen and as it turned out I won the tournament. The reason is because I still sort of play the old school game, unlike many players at my age, I serve and volley, chip and charge, and always look to approach. It was a lot of fun and I am still interested in learning more, for instance I have no idea what makes a wooden racket "nice."

max
11-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Wood is fun and it's possible to have competitive tennis matches with wood if your opponent joins you with it. It increases the diversity of shots in the game and, for my money, makes the game all-around more interesting.

But that's the past.

Mick
11-18-2006, 08:40 PM
i tried out last week. The serve suffers the most. Hitting flat bombs is very hard and if i hit the sweetspot squarely it feels like my racquet is going to break.

Yep, I am with you on how tough it is to serve well with a wood racket. With a graphite racket, I serve well enough to score a few easy points here and there but when I serve with a wood racket, I find it mighty tough to hold serve.

It's amazing how much power a graphite racket could generate considering the hitting surface is not that much larger than that of the wood racket.

http://i10.tinypic.com/495v5hj.jpg

anirut
11-18-2006, 08:56 PM
... It's amazing how much power a graphite racket could generate considering the hitting surface is not that much larger than that of the wood racket.

Graphite, being stronger than wood, has the advantage of it being able to be shaped as a "beam", yet being to withstand high string tension.

If you've tried some old days graphite with the same conventional wood head size, you'll know what I mean.

stormholloway
11-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Yep, I am with you on how tough it is to serve well with a wood racket. With a graphite racket, I serve well enough to score a few easy points here and there but when I serve with a wood racket, I find it mighty tough to hold serve.

It's amazing how much power a graphite racket could generate considering the hitting surface is not that much larger than that of the wood racket.

http://i10.tinypic.com/495v5hj.jpg

It's important to point out that the Borg Pro had a larger headsize than traditional woodies and the PS85 is very small in the spectrum, but it's also very much about the composition of the frame.

Again, tennis is better when players think of placement instead of power. Serving and hitting with wood is more about placement than power... hence wood is better! :grin:

goober
11-18-2006, 09:34 PM
I am a college player and have just recently really learned about tennis. Even though I am an accomplished high 4.5 I never really understood the whole wood thing and what not. What sparked my interest was a wooden racket tournament. I entered with a friend not knowing what would happen and as it turned out I won the tournament. The reason is because I still sort of play the old school game, unlike many players at my age, I serve and volley, chip and charge, and always look to approach. It was a lot of fun and I am still interested in learning more, for instance I have no idea what makes a wooden racket "nice."

What racquet did you play with? If I entered a wood racquet tourney it would be definitely with Prince Woodie. It would probably be unfair though to have a 107" racquet vs those 65-70 " ones tho :D