PDA

View Full Version : vantage flex? HELP!

Japan Tennis
11-19-2006, 05:05 AM
Hey

I was wondering how different the vantage 63 and 70RA's are, and what are the pro's and cons of each. Also i read somewhere that the vantage is measured without the handle so the accual flex rate is less... Also does the length of the racquet change the flex rating and how much you feel?

300Gkid
11-19-2006, 07:00 AM
yes, the actual flex of each is 59 and 66 respectively

NoBadMojo
11-19-2006, 08:27 AM
maybe Louie Netman will jump in..he thinks these racquets play as stiff or stiffer than their RA measurements (i think---correct me if wrong). Louis is our resident Zen tennis player and seems to notice minute details and has probably owned and hit more frames than anyone in the world ;) maybe he will jump in to clarify.

also, for a company to measure stiffness w.o a grip when EVERYONE else measures with grip on AFAIK, at the best makes no sense, and COULD be more along the lines of them telling people what they wish to hear.

this also begs the questions, do they measure static weight sans the grip? do they measure balance sans the grip? does meauring without the grip really change the stiffness rating by any worthwhile to report amount?

anirut
11-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Just what I observed from visiting Vantage site... No bashing Vantage, but just what I observed.

To ME (I repeat, to ME), I don't feel it's very much "customized". The reason being:
- 90 in head limited to only 16x18 pattern
- 90 in head limited to only 19 mm beam.
- Flex choices should've been more, may be three choices at the least.
- SW range choice is missing.

The weight/balance range is nice, a lot of it.

For the price Vantage is charging, I feel there should be more choices available to really be a truly "customized racket".

Just my observation.

louis netman
11-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Weight, headsize, & balance are pretty reliable published specs for most manufacturers. Flex however, is much more difficult to control during manufacture and it's also more difficult to standardize/objectify due to a particular frame's flex-distribution characteristics and the way they register on the scale. Add the fact that a the grip is removed or replaced and you've got more of a circus-like scenario. This is why you've got to demo frames to really get to know them.

The Vantage 100, (63 flex) flexes fairly evenly throughout the frame. Kinda reminds me of a stiffer/more raw T10 Gen II. Since the Vantage guy actually designed the 95" Slaz X1, (a published "64" which feels much stiffer in play) I would assume the equivalent 95" vantage is probably feels like a dead on 62.5-63 compared to the X1 @ 64. Remember, TW publishes the C10 Pro at 63, and that frame is much more flexy than any other 63 frame I've played. BTW, I categorize frames according to approximate flex: 55-60 (arm-friendly), 61-65 arm-friendly to borderline arm-friendly), 66 and over (demo with for ten minutes max, but never use)....

Hope this helps:-)!

louis netman
11-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Just what I observed from visiting Vantage site... No bashing Vantage, but just what I observed.

To ME (I repeat, to ME), I don't feel it's very much "customized". The reason being:
- 90 in head limited to only 16x18 pattern
- 90 in head limited to only 19 mm beam.
- Flex choices should've been more, may be three choices at the least.
- SW range choice is missing.

The weight/balance range is nice, a lot of it.

For the price Vantage is charging, I feel there should be more choices available to really be a truly "customized racket".

Just my observation.

Vantage balance is changed by merely adding weight nodules. Having more options in terms of frame production (beam width, string pattern) and warehousing would probably put them under at this point.

Email Paul at Vantage and tell him what SW you seek and he can put one together for you...

Japan Tennis
11-19-2006, 01:42 PM
iso what is the differnece in the flex ratings? and does the 70ra provide alot of stiffness, what does it compare with...

Japan Tennis
11-19-2006, 02:29 PM
and are the vantage specs strung or unstrung specs...?