PDA

View Full Version : Switching from PS 6.0 95 to 85

rtung
08-12-2004, 01:59 PM
How big of a difference is it. I'm a 5.0 player and have love using the 95 all during high school. I'm about to start my sophomore year at college and I want to try out for the tennis team this year. I've been thinking of switching from the 95 to the 85. How big of a difference does it make. I'm kinda short 5' 6", so does the 85 have less pop when it comes to serving?

degreefanlindi
08-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Hey there rtung,
I too use a PS 95 and have been using it since high school. I also played college tennis with that racquet because I just couldn't find a better replacement.
Anyway, I don't know how the 85 plays because I have never used one....but I would imagine a smaller head size would give you more control. I always preferred the 95 frame where my teammates mostly used oversized heads. Perhaps you should demo a racquet with an 85 and see how it compares. As for the serving, I think you will notice less power with the 85, but I could be wrong.
BTW, what college do you attend?

stevewcosta
08-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Since you're a 5.0, you should love the 6.0 85. I am not quite good enough for it (4.0) esp. when I'm lazy, but serving is definitely one area where the 85 shines. If the 95 had a thinner beam, I would buy a bunch.

BreakPoint
08-12-2004, 02:38 PM
The 85 feels much stiffer than the 95 and a little more demanding. It hits more solid but it's a little harder to generate a lot of spin with. However, the 85 serves better than the 95 due to its heavier weight and smaller head which allows you to snap the wrist better. Serves are both harder and with more kick.

PS61
08-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Hi, there,

I found ps 85 has more power and spin, as long as you hit the sweet spot. (strung @ 53lb, comparing 95 @ 58lb) I'm a 3.5-4.0 level player, it took me weeks to get used to the small head. For a 5.0 player, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm trying to get rid of my 6.0 95 now.

PS6.1

jayserinos99
08-12-2004, 02:42 PM
I've hit with both for a time. The 85 is a great serving stick; Steve is right when he said you can't get lazy with it. I would have liked switching to it had it not been for my western forehand; I couldn't generate enough spin consistently with the racquet. As for serving, it's got pin point control and decent spin. I never missed a beat when using this racquet from other racquets (normally 95 sq. in. and above). I typically use kick serves, like Edberg, and I still got the same amount of kick as I did with my other racquets. FYI, I'm 5'7" so I know about being kinda short as well.