PDA

View Full Version : rds 001 mid - whats the big deal

julianoz
11-19-2006, 04:15 PM
This board has a collective stiffy for this racket. Yet TW gives is a 77 overall review with the MP getting a 79. Why does everyone like the mid so much?

Rafa's best friend
11-19-2006, 04:16 PM
I think someone said it is better for serving..

Hewitt rulez
11-19-2006, 04:18 PM
I like it cause I feel that it has pretty good power for a mid, has great control, spin potential, and has a very solid feel.

julianoz
11-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Hewitt are these things that the MP does not have?

snoflewis
11-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Hewitt are these things that the MP does not have?

in general, midsize rackets feel better/sweeter than midplus frames due to their concentrated sweetspot. i have not tried the rds001 MP, but i used to play w/ the mid, and i defintely agree w/ Hewitt rulez. not to mention, the racket has some what of an old-school feeling compared to the other midsize rackets out today.

OMGIMACAR
11-19-2006, 04:45 PM
power is also calculated into the equation too so mid would be better technically if you could generate your own power

bertrevert
11-19-2006, 05:01 PM
It's I guess an update on the MID lineage. It updates it with a modern stiffness, the Yonex square-ish head shape, and a 95-ish sized sweet spot. Scalpel a groundstroke. Bludgeon a serve. That's a good TW score. What's not to get excited about? It is a demanding frame in match play though...

maynardsson55
11-19-2006, 05:05 PM
If you are an accomplished player, hit with it. I was sold within 20 min. There is something to the square head.

armand
11-19-2006, 05:09 PM
It would be a grave oversight not to read each reviewer's profile at the bottom of the review. Some of their 'findings' and apparent NTRP rating do not seem to add up.

TonyB
11-19-2006, 05:20 PM
To the original poster: Have you actually PLAYED with the racquet?

Just because a couple of reviewers may not click with it, that doesn't mean that the racquet is junk. When you have a forum with tens of thousands of members and viewers, you're bound to get a collection of them that have a common preference, such as the RDS mid.

Lots of people like the PS 85 around here, too. Why not start a thread questioning THAT racquet?

FitzRoy
11-19-2006, 05:20 PM
If you are an accomplished player, hit with it. I was sold within 20 min. There is something to the square head.

I wouldn't have thought I could ever agree with that last statement - until I demoed the RDS 001 Mid. In a word: crisp. I don't know if it's the square head or what, but the sweet spot on that thing feels about twice as big as the PS 6.0 85.

Redflea
11-19-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm a former RDX Mid user. For me the biggest weakness of the RDS 001 MP vs. the RDX and RDS 001 Mid was serving...I never could dial in my serve w/the RDS 001 MP. Had the MP for an extended demo (over two weeks) and was never happy enough w/it to buy it. Wanted to, but couldn't get there...felt unweildy and didn't get clean strikes on the ball when serving.

Didn't have that problem w/other MPs I was demoing, so it was something about the racquet and myself that just didn't get along in that area.

julianoz
11-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Tonyb, go outside and smoke a cigarette, relax....I am not questioning it. I am simply curious what attracts everyone to this racket, because I am intrigued.

bertrevert
11-19-2006, 08:39 PM
never could dial in my serve w/the RDS 001 MP. Wanted to, but couldn't get there...felt unweildy and didn't get clean strikes on the ball when serving.
Hi, I feel like I've fixed that problem of serving with the MP because I experienced the same problem. I compared the 001 MP to the beaut serving MID and realised I could add about 10g of lead to the handle at the buttcap, and thereby get the weight up to the MID (~340g) and achieve the same 10 points HL.

(How I measured HL between these two is to put a pencil through the throat of both of them and see how low the handle dipped. Is that scientific?)

It's now less unwieldy and have started to serve a few bombs, with more margin for error that the 98 head affords. Groundstrokes better too. All it cost was a packet of 1/4 inch lead. Have a go (though I am aware you are pretty happy with your present racquet).

I am simply curious what attracts everyone to this racket, because I am intrigued.
Can you demo it? If you like MIDs you may like this one? What's your game style?

PS. you opened your thread with a serve so you may have to wear the returns... yeah?

skraggle
11-19-2006, 08:50 PM
It's a very nice stick. Better serving than the RDX like everyone says, very maneuverable, way more plow than you'd expect given the weight.

nn
11-19-2006, 08:54 PM
one word SOLID. I never felt this because PD+ was my choice for 3 years. After using MID my groundies are deadly (if hit correctly otherwise out that applies to any racquet). Also my serve improve in % i.e. less double fault..etc..

AndrewD
11-19-2006, 10:04 PM
julianoz,

I had a few hitting sessions with both the RDS mid and the midplus: didn't particularly like either of them. So, if TW had a panel full of guys like me, then the RDS wouldn't get big numbers. Have a look at the nSix-One Tour 90 review (overall score of 73 - one of the worst) and then look at how many people here rave about it. I guess that those of us who don't like the RDS don't bother posting anything about it whereas those who love it want to spread the word (very similar to the MFil-300)

Redflea
11-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Hi, I feel like I've fixed that problem of serving with the MP because I experienced the same problem. I compared the 001 MP to the beaut serving MID and realised I could add about 10g of lead to the handle at the buttcap, and thereby get the weight up to the MID (~340g) and achieve the same 10 points HL.

(How I measured HL between these two is to put a pencil through the throat of both of them and see how low the handle dipped. Is that scientific?)

It's now less unwieldy and have started to serve a few bombs, with more margin for error that the 98 head affords. Groundstrokes better too. All it cost was a packet of 1/4 inch lead. Have a go (though I am aware you are pretty happy with your present racquet).

Thanks for the feedback/idea, bertrevert, an interesting idea...if I get my hands on one again I'll give it a try. One of my buddies loved it though he is still back and forth getting one - he finds it very difficult to break his commitment to his current stick. I won't pursue the RDS MP for an actual switch because, 1) I was trying to move to a lighter racquet and didn't want to increase the weight over stock, and 2) As you note, I am very happy w/my M-Fil 300. :)

chess9
11-20-2006, 12:04 AM
It would be a grave oversight not to read each reviewer's profile at the bottom of the review. Some of their 'findings' and apparent NTRP rating do not seem to add up.

Each reviewer's scores should be broken out, rather than the average. The average score is meaningless when you have such a broad range of abilities.

I love the RDS 001 mid. It has a very lovely muted feel and is suited, IMHO, for those who hit a slightly flatter ball (heavy topspin users probably won't like it). If you have good mechanics, it's definitely worth a try.

Having said that, racquet preferences are all over the place. Ya' gotta' demo dem puppies. :)

-Robert

nickarnold2000
11-20-2006, 09:11 AM
An RDS mid user here. This racket is definitely a players stick. I'm a 5.0 and if I'm lazy or not concentrating well enough, it can be pretty tough going. That being said, if I do, do things correctly ie. early rack prep, move my feet and hit the sweet spot - well, it's just loads of fun! I get plenty of spin from using semi -west both sides and stringing at lower tension(48 mains). In fact, I can't understand why I haven't done this before now? But then again, I always thought that lower tension would result in control problems but in reality it has unleased killer topspin which results in more control(and a little extra power)! Hope this all makes sense but, in the end, without good footwork, I'm done for!

vkartikv
11-20-2006, 09:16 AM
The reveiw #s mean nothing to me - they are always in the high 70s. They give you a # for control - that makes no sense to me. This board is useful and so are the individual reviews by the testers, don't go by scores. Most importantly, demo it.

TonyB
11-20-2006, 02:37 PM
BTW, is anyone using poly in their 001 mid?

I've got one here that I'm demo-ing and it's strung some sort of 16-gauge unlabeled poly. It's greyish-white in color (not that the color helps at all).

Anyways, I haven't been a big fan of poly lately and was wondering how it would behave in this frame. I'm trying to demo the frame, not the string. I may have to request a synthetic gut-strung frame to demo again.

armand
11-20-2006, 04:32 PM
I use SPPP in my 001 90 @ 61.5lbs. I used natural gut before, tried 2 different kinds of Yonex syns(850, 880) but I likes the poly the most.

TonyB
11-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback. But how does the racquet play with the poly as compared to the other types of string? Is it more muted, lower-powered, etc.?

BTW, what's with the asian dude smoking a joint in your avatar?

:)

armand
11-21-2006, 03:24 AM
If you wanna know more, search for my thread called 'I have to abandon my RDX500 90'. Towards the end you can see all about my 001 with poly compared to the other strings.

Asian dude? You can't get much further away from being Asian then Tyler Durden!

TonyB
11-21-2006, 04:18 AM
Sorry, just a guess... those glasses are funky.