PDA

View Full Version : string breakage 90in vs 98in

julianoz
11-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Is there a big difference in string movement and how often you break strings when you have a 90 vs 98 inch racket? Using synthetic gut.

bcsax123
11-19-2006, 04:21 PM
You need to specify which rackets. A Prince Graphite Pro 90 would have lots of string breakage and movement, while a Prestige MP would not.

julianoz
11-19-2006, 04:27 PM
To give an example I am curious about the RDS 001.

But the question should be able to be applied to any racket with a 98 vs 90 inch version right? I am curious how the difference in head size affects frequency of string breakage.

Bottle Rocket
11-19-2006, 04:56 PM
It all depends on the string pattern and also partly on the grommets...

Babolat's tight patterns are extremely good with strings, I have never broken the strings on my Pure Storm. I have broken Luxilon in 3 weeks in my Hybrid Tour with a much more open pattern. The 95 inch head eats up the strings, the 98 inch is real gentle on them.

Yes, I know 3 sqaure inches isn't much, but it is the best example I could come up with.

As a general rule though, smaller heads are better on strings.

Deuce
11-19-2006, 10:27 PM
String pattern being the same, the strings would move less and break less often on the smaller headed frame.

But this is referring to breakage due to wear only. With a lot of less resilient strings (like most Polys), string breakage can occur any time with any size head if you hit the ball near the frame. Because these types of string have little elasticity, they are unforgiving on shots hit near the frame, where there is less 'give' to the string.