PDA

View Full Version : Prince Tour Diablo Mid

tennisboy87
08-12-2004, 02:51 PM
How do you guys like the Diablo Mid? My demo of it should come anyday. Just please tell me your experiences with hitting with this stick. I'm 17 years old, a sectionally ranked tournament player, and play all-court trying to get to the net to put the ball away. Also, if you've hit with either the Prince Tour NXG Graphite Mid or the POG Mid, could you compare it to the Diablo? I'm demoing all three as I'm going to be getting the Prince Preferred Player package. Thanks a lot guys.

dantyem108
08-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Yes, I have tried both the diablo mp and the nxg mid and liked the diablo a lot better. If you mostly generate your own power, the diablo will suit you better. It did not give me a lot of power on my shots, but I prefer that type of racket. Also, the diablo feels a lot lighter than the suggested weight. The nxg is a fairly decent racket, but I did not like it because it did not feel balanced enough for me. I thought it was a little too head heavy. By the way, I am also looking to get a preffered sponsorship. How did you approach prince, or did they approach you? Thanks, and good luck with the rackets!

tennisboy87
08-12-2004, 03:57 PM
dantyem108,

Thanks for the comments. So far, the Diablo sounds like the racquet for me. About the sponsorship: I know a local pro who is very good friends with the Prince rep from around here. I asked him to talk to the rep for me, and the rep came out, talked to me, saw me hit for a little while, and found out what my sectional ranking was. After that, he offered me the Preffered Player package. I would try and contact you local rep. Hope I helped.

dantyem108
08-12-2004, 04:18 PM
What is it like $300? What all do you get?? Thanks

tennisboy87
08-12-2004, 06:26 PM
It's $398. You get (I think, haven't actually gotten the order form, this is just what the rep told me, I'll get it after I demo the racquets) 4 racquets, a bag, strings, overgrips, a hat, shirts, shorts, and a pair of shoes. It's a pretty sweet deal.

dantyem108
08-12-2004, 06:36 PM
any choice of strings and overgrips, or what they give you? Also, any racket? Thanks a lot, sounds like a good deal.

Simbah2004
08-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Great racquet, I was impressed with how much pace I was putting with my serve, as well as topspin. My forehand has never been better, and it's hard to believe it actually weights more than 12 ounces.

dantyem108
08-12-2004, 07:16 PM
ya, it feels like sub 11 ounces for sure.

tennisboy87
08-12-2004, 07:23 PM
dantyem108,

Yeah, you do get choices. Like I said, I don't have the form yet, but you have choices for racquets, strings, grips, and shoes. You also give them your shirt and short size.

tennisboy87
08-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the help Simbah2004

leog
08-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Diablo Mid is great, I ended up liking the MP better as it had a larger (more-forgiving) sweet spot. I ended up choosing the Liquidmetal Prestige MP over the Diablo MP in the end, but it was a damn tough choice...guess if I'd been sponsored by Prince I wouldn't have had such a tough decision.

bee65n
08-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Got to play with a Diablo mid yesterday. I was not very impressed with it. Somehow, my shots didn't seem as "solid" with this racket as they were with the tour 90, prostaff 6.0 85, and the ncode tour. I also noticed that the Diablo felt very light, but then again, so did the ncode. I do have a natural preference towards wilson prostaff rackets, and maybe unconsciously I was hitting worse intentionally with the Diablo. It just might be true, since the POG Mid didn't impress me either.

tennisboy87
08-13-2004, 11:10 AM
I also just wanted to ask what tension and strings you guys had on your Diablo? I've always liked very tight tensions, but would you suggest lowering the tension since the Diablo already gives you a ton of control? Thanks.

dminh01
08-13-2004, 01:07 PM
I have hit with the Diablo Mid since it came out on market.Strung with Price synthetic gut 16 @62 lbs and found it so lovely on the hand.Groundstroke is the best I think a prince racket gives.Serve with the diablo is also very easy as the weight automatic transfer to the ball.The only thing which is a bit hard to hit is volleys.However after couple of months I can control my volley pretty good.Overall I think this is a very solid stick from Prince.My last racket was Wilson HPS 6.1.Also the Diablo is very easy on arm too.I never have any shoulder problem with this stick as I have with the 6.1 before.Have any question let me know at fan_bi@yahoo.com Thanks

Simbah2004
08-13-2004, 07:08 PM
No problem. As far as control is concerned, I still believe nothing can beat the 85. But for a modern game the Prince Diablo Mid (93)is a great choice. It has more power than the 85 but the stringbed is much more forgiving and control is excellent. Topspin is very easy to generate and your shots will have pace. The only problem I had was when hitting volleys (but again, there's no better volleying stick than the 85), but that can be adjusted. Demo it extensively and if you don't get bothered by how the racquet feels (much much ligther that it really is) this may be a good choice.

tennisboy87
08-14-2004, 06:59 PM
Got my demos today and went out and hit for a couple of hours. I didn't think I would like the NXG Graphite, but man was it a sweet swinging racquet. Control was excellent, and it felt much easier to swing around than the Diablo did. However, the Diablo was also a very fine stick. Right now, I really like both, but I would have to give the edge to the NXG so far. But I have lots more demoing to do.

tennisboy87
08-18-2004, 07:37 PM
After 5 days of demoing, I really, really like the Diablo Mid. It took me awhile to warm up to it, but now i absolutely love it. Great control, good pop, and makes my strokes feel so much heavier. I'm going to hit with it once or twice more just to make sure, but I think I'll be getting this racquet for my Prince deal. Also, thanks for all your guys help. I really appreciate it.

Simbah2004
08-19-2004, 06:49 PM
No problem, I'm thinking about getting two of them as well. I was able to demo it for 3 weeks, and the more I played with it, the better it feels. My forehand has never been better.

tennisboy87
08-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Simbah2004,

Yeah, the more I played with it, the better it felt also. My forehand has also really improved. It's a much heavier shot than it used to be.

Simbah2004
08-20-2004, 10:17 PM
My forehand had more pace and spin like no other racquet. Flat serves were also awesome. I've started to read the racquet reviews here at TW, and noticed that they are usually right on the money.
I was running around my backhand(which is not bad at all) for the first time in years. I also had to get used to the grip (it's quite different than Wilson). The only thing I didn't like much was volleying. I just liked the way the racquet is balanced, didn't feel I needed to customize at all.
Doesn't the racquet feel much lighter than 12.2 ounces?

Anonymous
08-21-2004, 08:52 AM
I am a 15 year old ranked player, and in the last 2 months I switched to the Diablo Mid. I have used a ton of players rackets, like the NXGraphite MP, Diablo MP, Wilson Tour 90, Prince More Control DB, NXGraphite Mid, but the Diablo Mid is my favorite. If you hit with power and want a great control and feel racket, the Diablo is definetly the one for you. I just recommend that you ask Prince for a stiff string, that works well on the Diablo. I use the Head UltraTour 17 @ 62
-Edward

bigace10s
08-23-2004, 03:05 PM
What website can i go to to get the Prince Preferred Player Package?

tennisboy87
08-23-2004, 06:32 PM
bigace10s,

I guess you could go to princetennis.com and e-mail them. I found out about the package through a local pro and the local Prince rep in my area. If you can't find a Prince rep in your area, just e-mail Prince and tell them your sectional or national ranking and anything else about yourself, and then just see what they say. Good luck.

bigace10s
08-23-2004, 08:41 PM
thanks dude

match
08-23-2004, 10:03 PM
diablo is better for the back court i played with with both these sticks and would say the nrg is better for the net game....but since i only come to net to shake hands and developed some wrist problems i had to switch
since your young i would go with either

tennisboy87
08-24-2004, 09:41 AM
you're welcome

Stormwolf
08-25-2004, 06:33 PM
If I had the option of sponsorship, I would take a pack of 4 Prince Graphite Classic Mids 8).

backhand
08-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Been playing with a Diablo Mid for the last three months. 4.0 OHB. Still think it's the best singles all court out there. Drawbacks: Either set up early, or give up on the net. And feel's not quite crisp enough, but still tinkering with strings/tensions. Diablo's halfway stiff, so I like a soft string. Currently using Bab Excel 17, 60 lbs. Feels wonderful for about one match, then blech. Tried TNT, various Wilsons, they last longer, far less feel. Wrong climate zone for gut. Ideas?