PDA

View Full Version : USTA Rating

MariaS
11-19-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm just new to USTA and have a very low ranking of 2.0. :grin:
I just finished playing in a 3.5 doubles league and am wondering what criteria will they use to give me a higher ranking? Anyone know?

cak
11-20-2006, 06:47 AM
USTA only gives ratings on National leagues. So I'm not sure if you were playing 3.5 seniors, which is a national league, or 7.0 mixed, which would get you a National mixed rating or a local doubles league. Or perhaps you were playing doubles in the adult 3.5 league, that does have singles also? Combo leagues are considered local leagues, and won't get you a NTRP rating.

If you were playing in a league that National recognizes, and you are new enough that your 2.0 rating is a self rating, and you were playing at the 3.5 level the system will toss the self rating and give you a rating based on the average of 2 or more matches played against 3.5s with computer ratings. If your 2.0 rating (long time members don't laugh, I've seen a few 2.0 computer rated players...) is a computer rating, the 3.5 matches will probably not count, as the differential between 2.0 and 3.5 is over the threshold the computer recognizes to generate a new DNTRP.

PBODY99
11-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Strange, the program hasn't been revamped to take into account self ratings. I had a member on a senior team self rate @ 2.0 and he went 3-3 in league play. I was told that he would have a computer rating at the start of 2007n in Middle States.

cak
11-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Strange, the program hasn't been revamped to take into account self ratings. I had a member on a senior team self rate @ 2.0 and he went 3-3 in league play. I was told that he would have a computer rating at the start of 2007n in Middle States.

Self ratings are only meant to give people a starting point, a place to start playing. But the meat behind playing is to see how well they do against others. This senior team member who self rated 2.0 was playing in something other than a 2.0 league, since there aren't 2.0 leagues, right? And he went 3 and 3, so he guessed right on the level to play in. But if the computer started adding and subtracting from 2.0 it most likely would not get him to 3.0 (or 4.5, or to whatever the league level he was playing in...) So the one bad datapoint for a starting point would mess up his rating for a long time. However, averaging him against the players he played in the 6 matches will give them a great starting point, and he will have a computer rating at the start of 2007, and I'm betting it won't be 2.0.

Visual ratings were also a guess, just a guess by people with less of a stake in the process. Visual ratings were also thrown out, and the first season opponents averaged (more or less) to get the computer rating. So they didn't have to revamp the system. Just figure, self rating, or visual ratings, where guesses. Once the computer has enough real data, not guesses, to work with it tosses the guesses.

MariaS
11-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Yes I was playing in Fall 3.5 Seniors Womens Doubles League. Did better than most.

Only good thing about 2.0 is you can only go up!!! :grin:
I hope! :-o