PDA

View Full Version : what to do when gripsize differs....

snoflewis
11-19-2006, 08:40 PM
i have two redondo MPs, both 4 1/2, but one is noticeably larger than the other. i measured it and one is half a size (1/16") larger...for those who have had this happen, what have you guys done?

alan-n
11-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Dangerous thing to do unless you have a workshop bench with a fixed sander so you can measure how much you want to sand of... But thats what i would do, sand the thicker one down to match the smaller one using a workbench sander.

OrangeOne
11-19-2006, 09:24 PM
You only recently bought them, didn't you snoflewis? If I were you, back to the shop I'd be going.... Doesn't matter that they're tennis racquets or not, you've discovered what I'd call a manufacturing defect! I'm interested to hear what others say, though....

aznspongehead
11-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Would you be able to send that in? Since it's 1/16 more than the 4 1/2 that it's supposed to be? I would try calling PK first.... if they are pretty new and show no signs of abuse, I don't see why they can't just send you another one.

DX_Psycho
11-19-2006, 10:08 PM
may be a manufacturing error as redondos are made complete. (meaning the frame and grip are totally connected)

how about taking the grip off and measuring it? it may be the thickness of the grip?

sloe_torture
11-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Snof -

Try layering paper (or other lightweight sheet) on the smaller pallet until its circumference matches that of the larger pallet. Although you'll unlikely use 1 gram of layering material, try to pad up only the bottom half of the pallet to limit changes to the swingweight.

papa
11-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Well, I think it could be the grip thickness also.

However, a relatively easy way to remove a "little" of the handle is to remove the grip and any plastic wrap. Then take a crayon and color all 8 surfaces. Then, depending on your ability with tools, use either a scraper or sandpaper to remove all the crayon. Might take a time or two to get "both" exactly the same but you won't run the risk of getting the bevels too big or removing too much material. I'd do the flats first and then the bevels. When using sandpaper, make sure you use a block to keep surfaces flat.

Ash Doyle
11-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Try removing the grip from the larger racquet's handle, and then rewrap it, but just wrap it tighter. Most likely, that will take care of your problem.

Tour 90
11-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Just put an overgrip on the smaller one, it's not that big of a difference.

NoBadMojo
11-20-2006, 12:48 PM
i agree with spongehead...if both racquets are completely stock and were shipped with the same stock grip, there should be zero difference..that's not acceptable, and they should take care of this for you. could it be possible they simply mislabeled the gripsize on one of the frames?

Kevo
11-20-2006, 01:50 PM
If you didn't measure the bare handle, then I would agree with the supposition that it's related to the grip itself not the frame. It would be pretty easy to get an extra 1/16" out of a grip by wrapping a little loose or overlapping more. Also, I've noticed that a lot of grips wear in and get a tad thinner with play. If you've played with one more than the other that might be an explanation.

snoflewis
11-20-2006, 09:54 PM
thanks for all the responses.

DX_Psycho - PK rackets have pallets...so they're not complete, the handle and grip aren't connected like that of yonex and wilson frames.

i've rewrapped the grip on the larger one a couple times as it was slipping off the buttcap (problem is pretty much fixed now...will see how it holds up), and i've used the larger gripsize one more and i dont think it's the same as the smaller one.

i don't want to send the rackets in as that would leave me with no rackets at all, but if that is my last resort, that is what i will have to do (via TW). when i have time, i'll take of the leather grips and measure the bare grips to see if they're true to size since i found the PK leather grips to be kinda crappy at first. not to mention they smell awful.

snoflewis
11-23-2006, 07:36 PM
update: i actually played with the smaller gripsize (which i found to be actually 4 3/8...instead of 4 1/2 which the racket states on the buttcap and inner throat) and the racket actually cracked at an awkward spot between 4 and 5 o'clock....so i'll definitely be sending that back.

anirut
11-23-2006, 08:02 PM
update: i actually played with the smaller gripsize (which i found to be actually 4 3/8...instead of 4 1/2 which the racket states on the buttcap and inner throat) and the racket actually cracked at an awkward spot between 4 and 5 o'clock....so i'll definitely be sending that back.

What! You already cracked it! Must be hitting pretty hard, eh. ;)

Sorry to hear this, man.

Punisha
11-23-2006, 08:38 PM
this happened to me once.... i broke down and cried

snoflewis
11-23-2006, 08:55 PM
What! You already cracked it! Must be hitting pretty hard, eh. ;)

Sorry to hear this, man.

lol..i wish i could hit hard haha

i don't mind sending it back because it's defective anyway...plus, i have another one (will order one more in the near future)