PDA

View Full Version : Im New what racquet?

dhey89
08-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Well im 15 almost 16 and a sophmore... I am brand new to tennis and starting lessons soon i hope... I am using my friends Prince racquet tho it is probably a kmart type... What racquet should i get? Im 5'6 or 5'7 around 120 lbs right handed.... what do yall think... and try to keep it afordable

Chopin
08-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Stay with the bad racket until you improve a little bit and have learned the basic strokes. Once you have done this you'll appreciate a nicer racket more. Save your money for lessons for a few months.

dhey89
08-12-2004, 04:46 PM
thank you that is a good idea... i should wait until i can actually keep the ball in play to buy a new one... hopefully ill be good enough for tennis team in school when it starts

David Pavlich
08-12-2004, 04:52 PM
I would call your local shop, pro shop or club and see if you can find a used racquet or a demo that might be for sale. See if you can find something like a used Wilson 5.2 mid-plus or H Tour mp or a Prince TT Scream mp, or a Head Ti Heat. I'm sure you can find a better racquet than a K-mart type and you will be much happier with it.

Any pro or retailer worth his or her salt will be happy to help you.

David

dhey89
08-12-2004, 04:58 PM
thanks ill try that too... but if i cant find any um my friends racquet the grip tape stuff is like fuzz now... where can i go or how do i "redo" it?

Xanataos
08-12-2004, 05:33 PM
First you should go to a local sport shop that sells tennis stuff. Go and ask for tennis grip.

You have two choices: replace the entire grip or wrap an overgrip on top to cover up old one. The first choice is more expansive because a Replacement Grip has cushion and stuff inside it. THe second choice is cheaper because you are just covering up the old grip with a thin wrap. I believe your local shop will wrap an overgrip for you for free.

If you want to remove the old grip and replace it with a new one, see this instruction:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Regripping/Regripping.html

Choice 2 is better i think.