PDA

View Full Version : Lead inside and out

cys19
11-20-2006, 07:36 AM
I'm sorry that I couldn't find a thread that answered my question. What's the difference in leading inside the hoop and outside the hoop at 3 and 9?

Midlife crisis
11-20-2006, 07:49 AM
I'm sorry that I couldn't find a thread that answered my question. What's the difference in leading inside the hoop and outside the hoop at 3 and 9?

Putting lead on the outside of the hoop increases the twistweight of your racquet more than putting the same amount of lead on the inside of your hoop. Increasing twistweight makes the racquet harder to spin along its long axis, and will likely make the most noticeable difference to you during your serve if you strongly pronate your forearm, which gets harder with higher twistweight.

On the plus side, having higher twistweight helps on shots that are mis-hit off to the side of the sweetspot.

LoveThisGame
11-20-2006, 05:13 PM
If the lead tape is put on the outside, covering the holes, it needs to be removed to string. If it touches the grommet side strip or bumper, the tape will have to be removed to replace the grommet set. In either case, there might not be enough adhesiveness to re-use the tape.

If the lead tape is put on the outside and the adhesive fails to stick well or come partially loose (highly unlikely), the tape may fly off.