PDA

View Full Version : gamma 4000

billyboybeacon
11-20-2006, 02:41 PM
I have a chance to buy one cheap but I am having a tough time finding any info...the pic I saw it looks similar to the prince neos..anyone have experience? thanx

T.J. Planas
11-20-2006, 07:01 PM
I have a Gamma 4000. It does a good job, but the mounting system leaves a lot to be desired. I actually only use mine as a backup to my electric machine. The crank works the same as the Ektelon machines and the clamping system is very similiar as well. It is a well made and solid machine all around, but an old design. I would much prefer a more up-to-date model with rotating clamps and an easier mounting system. Of course, that will cost significantly more. One more thing....the mount at 12 o'clock really does seem to be very secure. On top of that, it blocks the string and makes it hard to fish the loop out to tension the first main string. Hope this helps.

-T.J. Planas
txtj79@hotmail.com

hadoken
11-21-2006, 01:06 PM
I have one...bought it used 4 years ago. No real complaints except that it comes with a lot of pieces so make sure you get everything. There are two 12 o'clock mounting arms..you'll need both to string fat and thin heads. I also have two 6 o'oclock mounting blocks but never need to change that. There are multiple plastic connectors for the mounts that you can change depending on the frame being strung (but I never need to change that). I also have 6 clamps for squash, tennis and racquetball, but I always use the wide clamps for tennis. You should get a calibrator, but mine never seems to go out of calibration. It's OK. I too would love to upgrade, but quite frankly I can't cost justify it because my 4000 does a good enough job. So if you get it cheap, say $400 then it is a very good deal. If it is closer to $500, I probably would go with a modern Alpha Revo instead.

Gamma Tech
11-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Here is the manual from the Gamma website for the 4000 (http://206.210.94.83/assets/manuals/pdf/Model_4000.pdf) stringing machine.

bret

billyboybeacon
11-21-2006, 03:07 PM
thanx for the feedback..it is $250.00..and I was saving for a revo..I think I wil pull the trigger

PBODY99
11-22-2006, 01:44 AM
My 4000 will be 19 years old soon with over 2000 frames done. Enjoy.