PDA

View Full Version : Slazenger X1 Stiffness

chair ump
11-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Does anybody have any thoughts on the stiffness of the Slazenger X1...does it play as stiff as the Pro Braided Trinity Henman?

vkartikv
11-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Though the #s say the stiffness is 64, its quite stiff at the throat, making it feel more boardy. The henman had a stiffness rating of 72 but with the even balance (strung) it didn't feel right. I'd suggest using nat. gut or something soft at 55-58 lbs on the x1 to make it feel better.

TonyB
11-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Don't go any higher than 58 on the X1. In fact, I just strung mine with Klip Venom at 58/56 and it's tight as hell. I've been using synthetic gut at 58/56 for a while now and it plays great. But the Venom seems like it's too tight for some reason.

The racquet is definitely stiff, but not harsh, if that makes any sense. It's like a "precision" hitter, but not like hitting with a 2x4. I admit that the feel is very muted, although when you hit the sweet spot, you know it.

It's not a "buttery" racquet, by any stretch of the imagination. If you want the nice soft feel of an old-time graphite racquet, look elsewhere. The X1 is all about performance. It's not an easy racquet to play with, but the level of control is outstanding and is balanced with just the right amount of pop.

I know this is more than you asked for, but I just thought I'd share.

chair ump
11-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the info everybody, it's much appreciated. Given the need to string the X1 a little lower than most, how do you think it would perform strung with nat. gut in the upper 40's...that's what I usually like in my racquets. My game is kinda old school... eastern forehand, lots of slice on the BH and looking to come in at my first opportunity.

TonyB
11-20-2006, 06:02 PM
I think it would play pretty nice, actually. From my experience (and from advice from others here on the forums), the X1 likes to be strung in a very narrow range, between 55-58, to give optimal performance.

I typically stay right around 56-58 with synthetic gut and the racquet performs great. (The Venom being very tight at that tension is quite odd). But I think if you hit a flat / slice ball, then it would be ok to string lower. Upper 40's might prove interesting, although you might lose some control, which is the strength of this racquet. It's not a power frame, nor a spin-generating frame; it's all about control and precision. If you string lower, you might destroy that aspect of it.

Also, volleying (particularly half-volleys and low-to-the-ground volleys) might be tough with this racquet at low tensions. You might have to have soft hands like McEnroe to be able to handle this frame at low tensions with those types of shots.

Good luck.

atpbook
11-20-2006, 06:06 PM
probably too much pop in the upper 40#.
what's your regular comfy racket and setting for reference?
do you use instant off or constant pull machine?

chair ump
11-20-2006, 06:23 PM
probably too much pop in the upper 40#.
what's your regular comfy racket and setting for reference?
do you use instant off or constant pull machine?

I have been playing a PK Type R strung as low as 46 lbs. As far as the stringing machine goes, I'm pretty cluless there. My stringer at the club has the really nice babolat power one, and he has strung for the pros over his long career...needless to say, he does an outstanding job.

vkartikv
11-20-2006, 06:40 PM
I have been playing a PK Type R strung as low as 46 lbs. As far as the stringing machine goes, I'm pretty cluless there. My stringer at the club has the really nice babolat power one, and he has strung for the pros over his long career...needless to say, he does an outstanding job.

Aah the type R. I liked it specs and tried it but it seemed to swing very heavy and just wasn't maneuvarable at the net. I spent a lot of time experimenting with the x1 and gave up because of its narrow range of setups. I have never gone below 53 but I would think it would be a little too powerful at that range. I used it primarily for s&v and if I am not wrong, most of us prefer higher tensions (60+). It would be interesting if you tried it and reported back though.

louis netman
11-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the info everybody, it's much appreciated. Given the need to string the X1 a little lower than most, how do you think it would perform strung with nat. gut in the upper 40's...that's what I usually like in my racquets. My game is kinda old school... eastern forehand, lots of slice on the BH and looking to come in at my first opportunity.

I experimented with 50# on a gut hybrid awhile back and I think that's about as low as you want to go with it. Gut typically loses it's crispness at tensions lower than 50 and IMO, the X1 requires a crisp stringbed. I'll second vkartik's comment about the X1 being very string/tension sensitive...

vkartikv
11-20-2006, 07:25 PM
I experimented with 50# on a gut hybrid awhile back and I think that's about as low as you want to go with it. Gut typically loses it's crispness at tensions lower than 50 and IMO, the X1 requires a crisp stringbed. I'll second vkartik's comment about the X1 being very string/tension sensitive...

How are the pr660s coming along? And how have you been doing since your injury/ surgery (did you have one?)

southpaw
11-21-2006, 09:37 AM
WARNING: DO NOT EVER USE CREATINE MONOHYDRATE.

Do you believe it contributed to your injury?

louis netman
11-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Do you believe it contributed to your injury?

Absolutely. I had the same injury a year prior, about 30 days after taking the stuff. I didn't make the correlation at the time. I began playing again 6-8 months (of hell) later....then after about 3 months of playing and doing fine, I decided to start taking the stuff again to aid in recovery. 10 days later later I had the same injury, but worse :-(. I put 2 & 2 together and began researching and found some interesting information about how it has contributed to muscle tears in athletes....

southpaw
11-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Absolutely. I had the same injury a year prior, about 30 days after taking the stuff. I didn't make the correlation at the time. I began playing again 6-8 months (of hell) later....then after about 3 months of playing and doing fine, I decided to start taking the stuff again to aid in recovery. 10 days later later I had the same injury, but worse :-(. I put 2 & 2 together and began researching and found some interesting information about how it has contributed to muscle tears in athletes....

Interesting. Once could be just a coincidence, but two times looks more like a pattern. I've been mixing a little creatine (~3grams) into my post tennis/workout whey protein shake. The combo seems to work for me, but the last thing I want to do is to increase my risk for injury.

Thanks for the heads up.

louis netman
11-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Interesting. Once could be just a coincidence, but two times looks more like a pattern. I've been mixing a little creatine (~3grams) into my post tennis/workout whey protein shake. The combo seems to work for me, but the last thing I want to do is to increase my risk for injury.

Thanks for the heads up.

Make certain that you are drinking copious amounts of water before, during and after play. I was told that by a sports nutritionist as the stuff will dehydrate your muscles...