PDA

View Full Version : Best Serve and Baseline Racquet

TennisGuy06
08-12-2004, 07:17 PM
What would be the best racquet for me, a 3.5-4.0 baseliner who also looks for free points on my serve. I also want it to be an extended length (at least 27.5) racquet.

thomwi9
08-12-2004, 07:49 PM
TennisGuy, I would recommend you consider the Head i.X3 OS(107"). Serves & overheads w/i.X3 are powerful but controllable. I have found that you only need to take a medium fast swing to generate good pace on your serve(and incidentally it volleys well also).
thomwi9@aol.com

ismashall
08-12-2004, 08:04 PM
in that case, let's also include all the other racquets that do all the work for you too, even the one that plays tennis while you sit on the bench eating twinkies.

esquimaux
08-12-2004, 08:06 PM
in that case, let's also include all the other racquets that do all the work for you too, even the one that plays tennis while you sit on the bench eating twinkies.

Sour grapes?

newbie123
08-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Ti.Radical OS - though I havent used that many racquets...I'm pretty sure this is one of the best racquets for the 3.5-4.0 baseliner along with the POG OS(from what I've heard).

It has a huge sweetspot.....even if miss the sweetspot totally, as long as u dont frame the ball, the ball is going to go over the net. It has good stability, manuaverbility, arm doesnt get tired, no arm,wrist,shoulder pains, good blend of control and power which you can adjust with strings. As long as you have a full swing and hit through the ball they will land deep.

However, its not extended...and serves arent bad but they're not superior either. You could always wait for the POG longbody that TW is bringing in on 11/11(i think?). Price is a added plus(only $80 on TW) but whether or not its a concern I still think you should definately give the Ti.Rad OS a demo

bee65n
08-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Pure Control +
Great serve, great backhand. Found it somewhat unsuitable for my 1-handed backhand though.

and it's 27.5 inches in length :wink:

MChong
08-12-2004, 09:30 PM
A Triple Threat Hornet Tungsten MP is great for serving and baselining; for me, anyways. Just add some lead tape at 12, 6, 9, and the handle to weight it a bit and have that extra mass behind it.

robkat
08-13-2004, 05:40 AM
Babolat Pure drive Plus. It is hard to beat the combination that you are seeking with this Frame; Serve and baseline play.

Mozart
08-13-2004, 08:35 AM
for me the best serve and baseline racket is the Fischer Pro Extreme FT.
Unbelievable spin on serves due to 16 x 18 string pattern and superb control.

TennisGuy06
08-13-2004, 08:58 AM
If I do go with a pure drive plus, should i add lead tape? If so, how much and where? How much tape does Roddick put on his?

Exci
08-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Pure Control +
Great serve, great backhand. Found it somewhat unsuitable for my 1-handed backhand though.

and it's 27.5 inches in length :wink:

Might be the length that caused that feeling for your 1-hander. I have the standard one and the one-hander feels like a dream. :)

TennsDog
08-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Assuming you don't swing too hard, I would suggest the Prince More Game MP. I loved it for serves and it had good power, spin, and stability from the baseline. I think the head heavy balance helps in these areas along with a high(er) swingweight. If you are looking for a not-so-powerful racket then this may not work as it is wide-beamed, head heavy, and very very stiff (80). But overall I think it is a good racket for your level which was about where I was when I used it. I just swing too hard and went for a more control-oriented racket.

kreative
08-13-2004, 01:18 PM
pure drive +, and as for lead tape, i suggest playing it stock and seeing how it feels to you before adding tape. customization is different for everyone. roddick puts a ton of tape in the head, changing the balace to head heavy.

hyper hammer 6.3 is also a nice serve and baseline racquet, stable, and solid feel.