PDA

View Full Version : 90 vs 93 vs 95 how long to adjust?

emerckx53
11-20-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't want to drag up this age old discussion BUT...I am curious and would just like a few opinions....I played forever with a PS85...loved it like a family member, stopped playing for 15 years, started up again wanted something slightly bigger etc... tried everything...ended up with a DNX 10 mid......couldn't visually use anything bigger than the 93...I am very happy with this size...mechanically I can see the advantage of the 95....what do you think stops me from dealing with the 95's? I have tried them all.....personally I think it is racquet head control, swingspeed and a mental block! PS. I grew up on Donnay Allwoods so my beginnings were on wood etc....how many of you have made the graduation and how did you do it.....

Kevo
11-20-2006, 07:29 PM
I don't think anything in the 90-100 range takes much time to adjust for solely based on frame size. The thing that takes a while for me is weight, balance, and feel. If I like the weight, balance, and feel then it doesn't matter that much to me how big the frame is.

nalbandian_fan
11-20-2006, 07:32 PM
yea i agree with kevo, try matching your ps85 weight and balance on a larger frame and itll be easier for you to adjust.

stormholloway
11-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Try the PS95 when they come in stock in Jan. I'm going to.

saqdeez
11-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Ive had 98 inchers for awhile, hit a 93 (90??) prestige tonight and it was a piece of cake...

emerckx53
11-21-2006, 05:38 PM
How about this for an add on question....If I am a good ball striker and am rated a solid 4.5 or better will the larger headsize give me an advantage?

Noveson
11-21-2006, 05:50 PM
How about this for an add on question....If I am a good ball striker and am rated a solid 4.5 or better will the larger headsize give me an advantage?

Depends on how you play the game. If spin is a weapon for you, then yes a 100/98/102 sq in headsize would definitely help. If you like to volley and hit flat balls, then no.

bad_call
11-21-2006, 06:03 PM
emerck - you must be my twin - tennis speak of course. i played with the JK Autograph for a few years then got a PS 85 from a friend. played with the PS 85 for years and had about as long a lay off as yours. started back recently and bought the LM Rad MP 98 on impulse. now i'm trying to "adjust" to the LM which is a decent racquet.

i think there are advantages and disadvantages to whatever size you choose. just depends on what you are willing to accept. so if you are a good ball striker then you will have an advantage...but that all depends on how you play.

lzclzclzc
11-22-2006, 12:13 AM
head size really shouldnt matter much. I mean there probably will be a HUGE difference if u go from a 125sq. in. to like a 60incher, but aisde from that minor changes in head size shouldnt affect your game that much. On the other hand. the weight of the racquet takes a bit more time adjusting to.

BLiND
11-22-2006, 12:19 AM
i moved from a 90" to a 95"... wasn't a big deal, yes it was different but after a while I got use to it.

vinnier6
11-22-2006, 04:35 AM
a 93 prestiege is the same as a 90 wilson...same for the 98 head radical...its the same as a 95 wilson...

BounceHitBounceHit
11-27-2006, 05:39 PM
I'd recommend you play the frame for at least a few weeks before making a judgement. Do some drills and hit all the shots (FH, BH, approaches, volleys, serve/overheads, etc. Then take on some competitive point play.

If you try to match the PS 85 for static weight, SW, and balance, you will be ahead of the game. You can do this with lots of different frames (see Travlrjam's posts).

CC

emerckx53
11-27-2006, 08:23 PM
I'd recommend you play the frame for at least a few weeks before making a judgement. Do some drills and hit all the shots (FH, BH, approaches, volleys, serve/overheads, etc. Then take on some competitive point play.

If you try to match the PS 85 for static weight, SW, and balance, you will be ahead of the game. You can do this with lots of different frames (see Travlrjam's posts).

CC

Good advice....

Jet Rink
11-27-2006, 08:58 PM
I don't want to drag up this age old discussion BUT...I am curious and would just like a few opinions....I played forever with a PS85...loved it like a family member, stopped playing for 15 years, started up again wanted something slightly bigger etc... tried everything...ended up with a DNX 10 mid......couldn't visually use anything bigger than the 93...I am very happy with this size...mechanically I can see the advantage of the 95....what do you think stops me from dealing with the 95's? I have tried them all.....personally I think it is racquet head control, swingspeed and a mental block! PS. I grew up on Donnay Allwoods so my beginnings were on wood etc....how many of you have made the graduation and how did you do it.....

I still play with my 85 and two years ago tried mightily to make the change, first to the Volkl c10 pro. Nice stick, not my cup of tea though.

Then the ncode Tour 90 came out and was touted as a successor to the 85. Not really.

I've tried real hard to make the ncode my No. 1 stick but always go back to the 85 - NOTHING feels as good.

I think the whole "smaller head/more demanding" argument is bogus. I go back and forth between the two racquets in the same match. As long as your fundamentals are good and you WATCH the ball, you should be able to hit with just about anything.

The only difference for me is a couple minutes of getting used to the weight differential, though I'm tempted to lead up the ncode to get them closer.

Also - I have much more control and spin with the 85 and then again when I go to my WOOD Maxply.

No biggie.

Jet

ChicagoJack
11-28-2006, 09:06 AM

Hello eddy merckx 53 ;)

Personal Opinion / Viewpoint: I've participated in similar discussions and can state my opinion here pretty economically. I believe there are two competing factors here. I've played with small 66 wood frames in the 60s - 70s, and a 110 in the late 90's and everything in between. This is about compromise, and the competing factors. A larger sweetspot means different things to different people, as does the word "control". But if either side of the fence were 100% correct, then the two camps would be divided into two types of players with two very different frames. There would be lots of players using super small 66 inch frames, and lots of players using 110 inch frames. We all know this scenario is unlikely, and laughable because compromise of some sort must be involved here.

The two competing factors of comprimise are frame stability and stringbed deflection. In my mind, this is the key distinction in the the power vs control issue. Most but not all, MP and OS frames will offer you a bigger sweetspot than MID frames. A bigger sweetspot will mean more power and by definition, less frame twisting on shots slightly off center. However, on a larger frame, of equal tension, the stringbed will deflect more. I believe this is the factor explaining why there are hundreds of thousands of tennis players who are utterly convinced that mids offer more control than mps or os frames. Increased string bed deflection on shots that land off center means the rebounding ball is more likely to produce a ball rebound at an unintended angle. This might translate into a feeling of lack of control.

You can't decide, and this debate will likely rage forever, because there is no best size. It is simply a matter of understanding the trade-offs in a way you are comfortable with. It's not a mental block, you are currently weighing the pluses and minuses, and trying to balance the ledger in a way that maximizes your game.

This was my personal viewpoint, I'm not intrested in converting anyone to my way of seeing things. You are free to disagree with me, but I have little intrest engaging in lengthy debate on the topic.

I am done editing my post.

Best regards, Jack