PDA

View Full Version : tennis racket for a h.s team player

Counter_Puncher0334
11-20-2006, 06:14 PM
i started out using a wilson triad 5 (110) to learn, and i've been using it since, and now since i recently got accepted into a team, my friends suggest i should try something with a smaller head size. I usually like to play at the base line and hit top spins, and sometimes come to the net for an easy put away.

so any suggestions? again i'm a h.s student and i have limited cash... so preferebly something thats not so expensive :-)

Amone
11-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Limited Cash... hmm... I'd suggest, looking at the TW sales, maybe a Wilson nPS, or the Wilson Hammer HRival (midplus), Volkl VEngine Tour10 Midplus, Dunlop MFil 400... just a quick glance, but those are the ones that I'd suggest. Maybe not the Dunlop, I have never hit with it.

PS, wrong forum.

Solat
11-20-2006, 07:04 PM
TW are selling the lime green ncode, called nPro i think?, for a great price. its on the front page

p0w3r
11-20-2006, 07:32 PM
LM Radical MP - $80
Dunlop MiFil 300 - $80

these two are the main racquets i recomend. However, i think the Dunlop may fit you more as it is a bit more powerful and easier to use then the radical, especailly since you are moving away from a powerful beginner's stick.

Bagumbawalla
11-20-2006, 07:47 PM
The, above, ideas are good, and worth trying, but the selection of a racket should be ultimately be based on how YOU play with it. Try hitting with some of your friends rackets to see if something clicks.

See if your local shop has a demo program and try out as many as you can before making a selection (or order som edemos from TW).

Price, popularity, and endorsement, should not be major factors in your selection (well, maybe price).

Most major brands offer a wide variety of styles/weights of rackets that can fit the need of almost any player.

Good luck,

B

noobplayer
11-20-2006, 08:47 PM
i would say stick with the triad until u try a racquet with a smaller head size. i would not recommend going from 110 to say 98 until u r sure on ur technique

Duzza
11-20-2006, 08:54 PM
The nPro's are sweet! My friend uses one, I use RDX mid's and I feel fine with the power level of those nPro's.

patrick922
11-20-2006, 08:59 PM
wilson npro is a good racquet...wilson ncode nsix one 95 or wilson ncode nps is a good option if you want a lighter version

ssjkyle31
11-20-2006, 09:26 PM
You cant go wrong with just another OS maybe in the 100-107 range. Radical, Shark & Warrior, anything on liquidation. But demo first. I would not recommend any thing less than 98 yet. Just work on your consistency with the OS.

300Gkid
11-21-2006, 10:49 AM
I also suggest the Dunlop M-fil 300 or Head LM Radical

Counter_Puncher0334
11-21-2006, 01:09 PM
sry, i kinda realized i posted in the wrong section @_@

the problem is, i can't really find a store that lets me try out rackets, I bought my triad 5 from modells... and that was after buying 2 rackets, trying them out, and returning them... i bet they're really ****ed haha

I'll go look up some info on the rackets you ppl mentioned

thnx for the info guys :smile:

Dashbarr
11-21-2006, 01:34 PM
if you were accepted onto the team, i think you have some skill, so i recommend the LM radical. i use it, and with a few changes it could be a extremely good weapon. you might want to stick to an OS, but if you think you can make the changes, i really like the mid myself.

noobplayer
11-21-2006, 04:16 PM
if you were accepted onto the team, i think you have some skill, so i recommend the LM radical. i use it, and with a few changes it could be a extremely good weapon. you might want to stick to an OS, but if you think you can make the changes, i really like the mid myself.

some teams accept anybody...is tennis a big thing in his school district?

musicc
11-21-2006, 04:22 PM
try to get older racquet models they are cheaper and plays almost the same...

Head i.Radical
Dunlop 300g
Dunlop 200g
Wilson hTour
Wilson 5.1
Wilson 6.1 (not cheap)
Prince Hornet
Prince Warrior

etc.

Dashbarr
11-21-2006, 05:25 PM
good point noobplayer, i was just making an assumption, because in my city some teams are only the best of the best.

Jonny S&V
11-21-2006, 05:46 PM
The Prince TT Warrior Mp or Os. I would suggest demoing both off of TW for $5.00. DO NOT try out the Dunlop M-fil 200! Small, SMALL sweet spot (even though it's the best racquet for me).

Noveson
11-21-2006, 05:53 PM
The oversize LM Radical is always a good bet. What I recommend to ever beginning player looking to improve. It's cheap, and you can hit anything with that racquet.

Noveson
11-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Forgot to add, this thread should be moved to the racquets forum.

TalkingTennis91
11-21-2006, 06:12 PM
i started out using a wilson triad 5 (110) to learn, and i've been using it since, and now since i recently got accepted into a team, my friends suggest i should try something with a smaller head size. I usually like to play at the base line and hit top spins, and sometimes come to the net for an easy put away.

so any suggestions? again i'm a h.s student and i have limited cash... so preferebly something thats not so expensive :-)

Well, there are first a few things that I must know:

1. What forehand grip do you use (Continental, Eastern, Semi-Western, Full Western)?

2. One or two-handed backhand?

3. Flat, Slice, Moderate Topspin, or Heavy Topspin?

4. How long've you been playing?

5. Do you take lessons?

6. Strictly baseline, Baseline with Minimal Net Play, Lots of Net Play, or Almost no Baseline and almost strictly net play?

7. Solid technique?

8. NTRP Self-rating (1.5-7.0)?

Knowing these things will help myself and any other readers recommend accurately the correct racquet for your game. Thanks.

Counter_Puncher0334
11-23-2006, 06:39 AM
well first of all noobplayer yor rite, my school just had like 8 seniors leave (that were on the team) and a few people left, and now they need to find ppl that have some stroke and a serve, so i think they're just finding mediocre players, to fit the spot.

first of all

1) I am most familiar wiht a western grip, but in some situations I may switch to eastern if needed.
2) I use a 1 handed backhand,
3) I like to hit moderate ~ heavy topspins, although I'm still working on constant heavy topspins with good depth, they tend to land a few ft away from the service line (towards the opposing player). I don think I hit a lot of flats, but thats something I'm working on, i find hitting a flats with western unnatural. as for slices, I slice only with backhand.
4) I've been playing for about 3 years, like 2 ~ 3 times a week, cuz I get home from school at like 5, and have to do hw till 7 + so I cant really hit on weekdays a lot.
5) I don think i ever took any lessons, I visited forums, watched slowmotion videos, and occasionally had my friends that take some lessons help me.
6)baseline with minimal netplay
7) "solid technique" do you mean consistency ? if so, then my forehands are alrite, my backhand can get a little wild sometimes, and my serves are not so great.
8 as for rating, based on the vids and descriptions i watched, i would guess 2.5 ~3, normal, 3.5 on a really good day

hope this helps

btw i checked out some rackets you guys mentioned(all from liquidation :-) ), all 80 dollars or lower. all of these are like medium power, and moderate ~fast swing speed, which fits me. i'm not sure i want anything with low power because i just went from a "powerful beginner stick" haha.

i was thinking about

prince shark (longbody? 100),

dunlop 300g (105)

dunlop mf 300 got a lot of good reviews but it may be too advanced.

wilson n6 (95) quite a gamble, 110 ~ 95 ...

i don want to spend like 100 dollars demoing 3 rackets so i limited to those , (for some reason to demo each racket is like 19 dollars to get it here, and 19 to send it back cuz i live in NY)

snoopy
11-23-2006, 07:12 AM
The demo charge has the cost of return shipping already included in the price. So it's only $19.

jdeloach
11-23-2006, 07:45 AM
I really would try a LM Radical. I own a LM Radical MP, and it is a beast with some lead work. It will grow with you.

anirut
11-23-2006, 04:59 PM
<snip>
i was thinking about

... dunlop mf 300 got a lot of good reviews but it may be too advanced.

No, it's not too advanced. It's one stick you'll learn and eventually play good tennis with it. Just keep your strokes smooth. Play with string tension to find the right control & power. (Remember, there were never advanced rackets in the old days. Good players are the ones who are "willing" and "determined" to learn.)

As for the string type, you won't have to go all out and buy expensive stuff. Just use a good synthetic at the right tension. I use a good synthetic myself.

Counter_Puncher0334
11-23-2006, 06:14 PM
maybe you're right anirut, i guess i'll demo the dunlop mf 300,
any other input about this racket, like personal opinion will be well appreciated :-)

thejuice
11-23-2006, 06:19 PM
I would recommend:

-Prince TT Warrior (either head size)
-Head LiquidMetal Heat (or Fire if you think you would like an extended length racquet)
-Dunlop M-Fil 300 (I think Dunlop grips are the best for 1HBH)

Good luck in your search!!!

Counter_Puncher0334
11-25-2006, 09:15 AM
what strings and tension should i pick for the dunlop mf 300? i cant seem to find it at any stores, so i'm probably gonna order from TW. its my first time ordering a racket, and i'm not quite sure what to pick.

anirut
11-25-2006, 02:56 PM
what strings and tension should i pick for the dunlop mf 300? i cant seem to find it at any stores, so i'm probably gonna order from TW. its my first time ordering a racket, and i'm not quite sure what to pick.

Just post that question in the Dunlop M-Fil 300 thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=92485&page=60

You'll get tons of answers. BTW, The link shown above will take you to page 60 of the thread.

pNoyr3D
11-25-2006, 03:03 PM
I definately suggest an M-Fil 300.. I myself used to play with an oversized racquet, had a similiar game to you. I than switched to the M-Fil 300 and loved it.. My advice is that if it's too light try adding lead tape and it could be great, that's what I did and now I love it!

cozmo5050
11-30-2006, 03:08 PM

Prince Triple threat Hornet Tugnsten. street price about $70 now.excellent all purpose racquet.

LarougeNY
11-30-2006, 05:10 PM
would you say the prostaff 6.0 95 is a good upgrade from a pd+?