PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth customizing HH racquet to HL?

OverHead
11-21-2006, 01:10 AM
My friend has a Wilson N5 110, 10 pts head heavy. He is developing tennis elbow. I have recommended lessons, softer string strung looser, exercises and stretches for the elbow, and a heavier, head light racquet.

Lessons are out for now, too busy. N5 is being restrung and he is starting exercises.

But about the racquet....

Thing is he bought the N5 less than a year ago and just bought a similar Head racquet, cant rememeber the model.

Is it worthwhile using some lead to change the 10oz, 10pt HH racquet into something around 11ozs and 6-8pts head light? Will the racquet play more like a player's racquet, or will changing it that radically be detrimental to its playability?

I guess the question boils down to:

Can you customize ANY racquet to make it play like a "player's" racquet?

DX_Psycho
11-21-2006, 01:26 AM
i customized my friend's W2 (i think it was W2) by adding 36 grams of lead tape. made it about 11.8 6 pts head light.

she said she likes it but i haven't hit with it.

PBODY99
11-21-2006, 02:16 AM
My friend has a Wilson N5 110, 10 pts head heavy. He is developing tennis elbow. I have recommended lessons, softer string strung looser, exercises and stretches for the elbow, and a heavier, head light racquet.

Lessons are out for now, too busy. N5 is being restrung and he is starting exercises.

But about the racquet....

Thing is he bought the N5 less than a year ago and just bought a similar Head racquet, cant rememeber the model.

Is it worthwhile using some lead to change the 10oz, 10pt HH racquet into something around 11ozs and 6-8pts head light? Will the racquet play more like a player's racquet, or will changing it that radically be detrimental to its playability?

I guess the question boils down to:

Can you customize ANY racquet to make it play like a "player's" racquet?

In a word NO. While changing the balance and increasing the swingweight is doable, a HL version of a 135 Outer Edge or Gamma Big Bubba didn't play like a "players frame". This is not to say that it won't be what you might like, just different.

dman72
11-21-2006, 04:41 AM
It won't be like a players racquet because you can't change it's stiffness, but it will definitely help if not cure the tennis elbow. I did this to my Head I.x3 and I my elbow doesn't even feel like it's played any tennis after 3 sets of hard swinging. The racquet weighs in at 9.9 ounces stock, and it's probably around 12 oz's now with the fishing weights in the handle and tape on the hoop I've added. Even on bad off center hits, my elbow feels no shock because the racquet just crushes the ball.

alan-n
11-21-2006, 05:42 AM
Thick frames of 105+ aren't ever worth changing from HH to HL.

bcsax123
11-21-2006, 05:48 AM
i think all that weight at the handle would make the sweetspot go way down, and make the racquet unplayable.

dman72
11-21-2006, 06:11 AM
i think all that weight at the handle would make the sweetspot go way down, and make the racquet unplayable.

It definitely moved the sweetspot down, but not anywhere near where I'd call it "unplayable", especially after adding some lead to the hoop to bring the balance more towards even. I'd say it put the sweetspot right around where it is on a pro staff or something.

bcsax123
11-21-2006, 06:15 AM
It definitely moved the sweetspot down, but not anywhere near where I'd call it "unplayable", especially after adding some lead to the hoop to bring the balance more towards even. I'd say it put the sweetspot right around where it is on a pro staff or something.

Alot of lead would be needed to make a 10pts HH racquet 6-8pts HL.

It depends. I've never played well with any Wilson HH racquet, because I felt the sweetspot was small and fairly low for being HH.

dman72
11-21-2006, 06:32 AM
Alot of lead would be needed to make a 10pts HH racquet 6-8pts HL.

It depends. I've never played well with any Wilson HH racquet, because I felt the sweetspot was small and fairly low for being HH.

The racquets are already light overall, and adding , say, 1.5 ounces into the handle will put you well on the way to a head light racquet. This is better done with sinkers in the handle than lead tape.

netman
11-21-2006, 07:21 AM
If you like the frame its worth experimenting. I do agree frames that are too thick are probably not worth the effort because high stiffness and high weight make for a rocket launcher.

In my case, I always liked the Prince Bandit OS but didn't like frames that weighed less than 11 oz and/or were HH. So I put 28 grams of lead inside the handle (using fishing weights). Immediately it went from 3 pts HH to 8 pts HL and from 9.9 oz to 10.6 oz with overgrip. Transformed it into a great doubles frame with enough mass to take on heavy hit balls. But as mentioned earlier, this moved the sweetspot way down. So I took some lead out of the handle and added it back at 3 and 9 and at 12. Took a lot of trial and error but have ended up with a 10.8 oz frame that is 6 pt HL, elbow friendly, and has greatly enhanced my play. Swingweight increased a good bit, but I actually like it fairly high, so it was a reasonable price to pay for the other improvements. Now if I could figure out how to keep it from devouring strings at an accelerated rate it might just be the perfect stick. :)

So definitely give it a try if you feel like experimenting.

-k-

tennissavy
11-21-2006, 11:44 AM
I do it all the time. You would be better off, practically and economically, to add lead fishing sinker weights into the handle rather than massive amounts of lead tape which will bulk up the grip size. Follow the instructions on this tenniswarehouse site.

OverHead
11-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the input everyone, I will definitely suggest to him that we put some weight in the handle. Then add a bit in the hoop to come out somewhere 4-6 pts head light.

For the rest of the winter he will be playing almost exclusively doubles so this may end up being a great frame for him.

My only problem is he is in the same level as me in my indoor doubles ladder league. I certainly dont want to make him play TOO good! lol.