PDA

View Full Version : Tour 90 vs Head LM 8 !!?

jings
08-12-2004, 08:15 PM
One of the stranger match ups I know, but bear with me, I need help! I'm a sensible player approaching 40 but still fit and strong. Getting the T90 around is no issue and I hit better groundies than ever now. My serve though is suffering a bit as the T90 has little margin for error and whilst I'm getting to grips with the higher demands I borrowed a chums LM8 after a match this week and practised a couple of serves, then a couple more and kept going. It was a magic wand, so forgiving and plenty of control. Rallies I hit long and it didnt' completely suit my fuller / faster strokes, and didn't take kindly at all to me trying to let off the bigger pronating f/hs.

Question is this, is there a player frame out there that will give me the ground control (.. to Major Tom) I enjoy, will let me keep that player feel about the courrt, but will give me a slightly easier time all round and not kick my behind so harshly on miss hits. I prefer thinner beams to look at and don't think I need to go as far as 113 sq in LM8. Messing about on Racquet finder I've kind of narrowed it down to Estusa PB, Volkl C10 Pro, N90, Yonex MP Tour 1. Any thoughts on these 4 or others would be welcome .... can't get on with 18x20 patterns though so that seems to rule out a lot of Heads. Many thanks.

Brent Pederson
08-12-2004, 10:08 PM
I'd definitely give the c10 a try. The 98 version is quite powerful for a player's frame, especially if you string it up with something like nrg2. In addition it has lots of spin and control available, and nice touch. The mp tour 1 xf is also quite nice, not too heavy and quite clean to hit with, though a little less powerful than the c10 I'd say.

jings
08-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks Brent, I've hit with the C10 before but long ago enough not to really remember how it feels. Re-reading my post I think what struck me most was just how easy it was to serve with the LM 8, so much sweet spot and just delicious after the relative harshness of the t90 - sort of like diving into a thick milk shake! Can the C10 Pro do this?

Radical Shot
08-13-2004, 01:37 AM
Jings, you're a funny guy...(major Tom). I know what you mean about the other racquets. Try the Head TiS2. It's smaller in head size that the LM8, but it will still be a "magic wand" compared with the T90. It will also give you more control. Serves are a blast. No problems at all with the big Goran down the middle, or the big kick on the 2nd serve.

It's not an 18x20, so perhaps you'll like it? Basically, you're just getting old ;-)
________
new jersey medical marijuana (http://newjersey.dispensaries.org/)

FireSon
08-14-2004, 02:31 AM
Jings,

My serve also suffered when I started using the T90 a year ago. The last 2 weeks I demoed the N90 and especially my serve was much better, it was more consistent and had more pace. The groundies are very similar to the T90, although on the service returns I had to get used to the increased power.
Maybe you can try it as well...

stevewcosta
08-14-2004, 05:32 AM
Jings,
Try the PB, not the PBPro. The pro is a beast while serving. I loved all the specs of the PB but it still didn't feel as good as the 6.0 I currently own. For some reason (maybe the narrower top of the frame) Estusa's are not the best serving racquets. Also, you should try out the Yonex RDX 500 Mid. While it's still a 90, many say it plays like a larger, more forgiving frame (larger sweet spot). I wonder why more people haven't jumped at the Yonex.

K!ck5w3rvE
08-14-2004, 07:00 PM
The Tour 95 is very similar to the Tour 90, escept there is more margin for error with the larger head size, and it is a bit more forgiving.

jings
08-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Many thanks all ... been having trouble getting onto the boards for a few days.
I should have perhaps added that I've hit 6.0 95 for years before trying the T90, which has been a lot of fun. I'm going back to 6.0 for a bit and will try and demo the Yonex 500. Sadly all the Wilson n-codes here are Asian versions and generally too light, but I'll have a go.
Anyone tried the Diablo mid-plus, specs there look good and at 100 head size, it's probably got some of that foregiveness I need .... especially at my age Radical Shot!