PDA

View Full Version : Babolat showdown

Sergei
11-21-2006, 10:14 AM
I am making a switch to Babolat from now discontinued RDX 300. I recently tested the following frames: Pure Storm team 98 ( Power Rating: 2007) vs PD w/ Cortex ( Power rating: 2290) vs crazy Aero PD ( Power Rating of 2325). Here's the weird part - I loved crazy.... My only concern is that the APD was given an advantage over the other two frames: it was freshly strung w/ some sort of poly string, but the strings on the other two frames were like 12 month old - a.k.a DEAD. That's the biggest problem I faced over the years when it comes to demoing the frames. Since I can only afford two frames at this time I decided I am gonna get the APD as well as PURE STORM.

I still can't get over the APD experience - it's like the frame took over and made me do things I have not done before. I started to finish my swings over my head. On some of those shots my hitting partner didn't even move - it wasn't the speed but the heavy top spin coming at him at weird angles. I sprayed a few balls but still - all I can say is WOW!!!! I have not played the doubles w/ this frame yet but I always have my trusted Wilson nPro Open to fall back to.

So I made my decision & ready to order but I still need your advice on the string & tension setup for those two frames. It seams that people like APD strung at a lowest tension w/stiff poly. Something like the new Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour string, but is it wrong if go hybrid and add multifilament string to the crosses. (The new Yonex Tour Super 850/880 series string is supposed to be amazing) So can I go hybrid on APD as well as Pure Storm?????;)

Sergei
11-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Bump!!! Bump!!!

josephhkim
11-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Ok,

buy the racket you like. It seems like you like the APD the best, so get that one.

I know what you mean about the demoing programing and the strings, but what can you do?

Next, don't get two different rackets, thats pointless. You'll end up playing with the one you like more, and then the other racket is a waste of money.

Yes, you can hybrid on any racket.

AJK1
11-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Buy two of the same racquet, you won't regret it. Also, hybrid the Yonex string with a poly, it works very well.

wksoh
01-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Some post say the Cortex PD plays way better than APD... is that true? Has anyone tried both?

LarougeNY
01-09-2007, 06:31 PM
well i have a pd
i hate it, so my impartial advice is to go with the one that has the least number of things wrong with it

pd I think is crazy powerful, if the APD is even more power, than its frickin insane
I would go with the pure storm, even though i know nothing of your game, just because it is less stiff, less powerful meaning less prone to cause injury, and greater potential when you get better.
just my advice, just pick the racket you want but think of long term too.

WhiteSox05CA
01-09-2007, 06:34 PM
How'd you feel with a full polyester job on that APD? I heard it's killer painful, and no feel, touch, or comfort whatsoever. That's kinda what steered me away from it because I want to use poly strings.

AJK1
01-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Wait a couple of weeks, you will regret buying anything now. There's a whole truckload of new frames just around the corner!!

Sagittar
01-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Wait a couple of weeks, you will regret buying anything now. There's a whole truckload of new frames just around the corner!!
yeah , very good point ..
even if you don't like the new ones you'll still be able to get the oldies for a much less price ..

Sagittar
01-09-2007, 07:00 PM
bTW what is this power rating ? i am new to this term ?

Kevo
01-09-2007, 08:19 PM
I have seen different power ratings, so I'm not sure what is used to calculate the numbers you gave, but it is normally some combination of characteristics like, weight, stiffness, swing weight, head size, and other factors. Take it with a grain of salt. You're style of play and choice in string and tension will make a difference in the final equation. For instance, I find the Pure Storm less powerful than the RDX 500 mid, but the RDX is always rated as lower powered.

wksoh
01-11-2007, 03:42 PM

Gee.. thanks - guess I better wait for the new frames ... ^^

Vitaly Evchenkov
01-12-2007, 06:43 AM
I used to use the APD, and had some very good success playing with it. 1 day in particular I will ALWAYS remember. I was playing a very good player that usually just barely beats me. 6-7,6-7.
I beat him 6-0, 6-1 ... I saw him months later and I could tell he was still reeling from that loss. He won't soon forget the smackdown I put on him!!!
My APD was strung with Luxilon Original at 60lbs.
I hit amazing shots. Pinpoint accuracy, crazy spin on cross court winners, and huge kick serves.
I have since tried many other Poly combos in the APD, but none play as effectively as Lux Orig.
I still have the APD and I tried to sell them here, but nobody wanted them for a decent price... so they sit in the corner staring at me.
I use the RDS001 mid now and that is a totally different racquet.

If I still have the racquets in the spring I might have to re-test them to see which one I play better with in competition. The RDS mid "feels" better hitting.. more solid and I use gut strings which gives much better feedback, but against high level players, I might need the forgiveness of a 100" headsize... dunno.
Anyway, I find the APD less powerful than the PD, and with poly strings or a hybrid is very controllable. good luck.