PDA

View Full Version : cannot control the o3 white

tennissavy
11-21-2006, 11:47 AM
It is impossible for me to control the groundstrokes on this racquet. No wonder Sharapova uses the japanese version which has a denser string pattern. The American retail version is a crap shoot regarding depth. It is easy to send the ball out of bounds with this racquet. It is not consistent in playability at all. What do you all think?

bribeiro
11-21-2006, 11:48 AM
agreed. way too powerful

papa
11-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Well, this is true for most of the O3 racquets. If your not carefull, you can knock the ball into next week.

bribeiro
11-21-2006, 12:29 PM
Well, this is true for most of the O3 racquets. If your not carefull, you can knock the ball into next week.

I can control my O3 tour just fine...

tennissavy
11-21-2006, 01:48 PM

I agree. When I "test drove" the o3 tour, I found the control on groundstrokes to be pretty good. The o3 white is uncontrollable, at least with the 16x19 pattern. I would love to try the Sharapova version, 18x19. It probably is more controllable than the more open American version.

Supralative
11-21-2006, 02:02 PM
demoed the O3 White
control was no issue for me...not enough power was my problem with it
i think its a good racquet

bcsax123
11-21-2006, 02:39 PM
The O3 White isn't overly powerful. Control was on the low side though. Strings move way to much.

papa
11-21-2006, 06:11 PM

One of the O3 series that does have a lot of control - many of the other are very/too powerfull. I'm not saying that they aren't good racquets but man, you can hit a ball about three miles with most of them.

jackson vile
11-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Nothing is wrong with the racket it is your sting choice tenison and strokes

noobplayer
11-21-2006, 08:00 PM

i agree if power is too much string higher

louis netman
11-21-2006, 08:06 PM
If you're a big hitter, the 03 White requires extensive use of topspin to control...The large, 100" round frame also helps in the TS department... I thought that it was a fine frame with some lead and leather, enough for me to want one for experimentation...

hoosierbr
11-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Is it kind of an update to the TT Warrior MP?

louis netman
11-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Is it kind of an update to the TT Warrior MP?

That's a reasonable assumption. However, the 03 White is a completely different animal in play. It's odd, but it happens to be one of the few "modern technology" frames I would consider acquiring and modding. I liked the rope-strung demo due to it's maneuverablity and ease-of-use, even with added weight. The racket has a "sweet zone" as opposed to a sweetspot and it seems the 03 holes are really doing something. I'd like to try it with hard, throat grommets, and a good gut hybrid and then see how she feels...

tennissavy
11-22-2006, 06:46 AM

I thought the same thing about other people's similar complaints until I used the o3 white. I switched back to my hornet mp with the same string and had no problems at all. I know it's the o3 white. I had the o3 white strung to maximum tension, btw.

fielders_80
11-22-2006, 07:05 AM
My wife owns 2 of them and one of them has the soft grommet while the other one has the hard grommet on it. I have to say the one with the hard grommet is so much much better than the other one. Its much controllable and most importantly, it has more crispness to it rather than the muted feel of the soft grommet.

rod_b
11-22-2006, 08:05 AM
I had an O3 White but got rid of it because of the high power. I ended up with a set of O3 Tours. Then I discovered a poly hybrid string setup that I really like and wish I had O3 White back because I think I could handle it a lot better now. I do believe the hard grommet makes a difference also.

tennissavy
11-22-2006, 08:29 AM
I have a question then; how does the hard grommet piece give more depth control over groundstrokes? I can understand how you would feel more vibration and crispness but I don't know how you would reduce the control problems.

louis netman
11-22-2006, 08:44 AM
I have a question then; how does the hard grommet piece give more depth control over groundstrokes? I can understand how you would feel more vibration and crispness but I don't know how you would reduce the control problems.

Truly an interesting phenomenon. IMO, any variable that gives a frame better ball-feel increases the operator's ability to utilize his/her skill-set. It may also be part psychological as frames with better feel (and even sound) are more inclined to motivate the operator to perform better...

jackson vile
11-22-2006, 11:44 AM
I thought the same thing about other people's similar complaints until I used the o3 white. I switched back to my hornet mp with the same string and had no problems at all. I know it's the o3 white. I had the o3 white strung to maximum tension, btw.

Look it is fine to say that, this racket is this or that for me, but to say that a racket is 100% a fult is just silly.

There is nothing but human error here.

I suggest a full poly setup, there are many super soft polys that will not move around, will tone down the power, and will increase spin/cause the ball to leave the racket sooner.

Nothing wrong with the racket

tennissavy
11-22-2006, 11:52 AM
If the string type, you are suggesting, increases spin then it would NOT make the ball leave sooner. If it does, indeed, increase spin then it must HOLD the ball longer to impart the spin.

Anyway, I am glad to know that most people who responded to my post find the same thing to be true of the o3 white.