PDA

View Full Version : any recent reviews on the head classic tour?

rainmaker
11-21-2006, 02:07 PM
i'm looking for more info on the head classic tour 102... it's an old frame that was very popular back in the days... reviews on TW are pretty old...

thought i'd add this to my collection too! slightly larger headsize, 12oz weight, 336 SW but tight string pattern (18x19)

was this, or still is, a good stick?

rainmaker
11-21-2006, 05:28 PM
how about any current owners??

what do you like, not like about it??? and what's your playing level..

thought i'd add this to my small collection... i really like the specs... but just not sure about it...

Final_Match_Point
11-22-2006, 03:28 PM
I use the HCT Mid plus, have to say its a great stick. Forehands require decent preparation but it feels good and the ball has nice pace behind it. Spin isnt that hard to generate at all, you just might need to tweak your stroke a bit. OHBH felt kind of sluggish so i mostly use a 2-hander. For serves its OK. Spin serves have some decent bit to them, but nothing special.

Volleys have very nice feel, and enough touch for me

superstition
11-22-2006, 09:18 PM
i'm looking for more info on the head classic tour 102... it's an old frame that was very popular back in the days... reviews on TW are pretty old...

thought i'd add this to my collection too! slightly larger headsize, 12oz weight, 336 SW but tight string pattern (18x19)

was this, or still is, a good stick?
Good for doubles. Weak for singles.

jackson vile
11-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Had this racket for 2 weeks, IMO you have to string this with a poly, this will keep the control proper.

Great for basliners that come to the net here and there, best for 2hbh, good everything all around racket with great pop in the serve, soft flexible but not too much, great feel ect.

IMO if you are looking for a classic feeling racket that is solid all around and you are a basliner or doubles and you are not interested in the POG OS then give it a try

dcheung
11-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Had this racket for 2 weeks, IMO you have to string this with a poly, this will keep the control proper.

Great for basliners that come to the net here and there, best for 2hbh, good everything all around racket with great pop in the serve, soft flexible but not too much, great feel ect.

IMO if you are looking for a classic feeling racket that is solid all around and you are a basliner or doubles and you are not interested in the POG OS then give it a try

Totally agree with the comment. I stung it with Head Ultra Tour 16g @ 60lbs and weighted it to 365g with leather grip and lead at 3/9, it is good when I'm off espcially for reflex shoots, serves have higher in percentage. Just have to adjust a bit for single back hand as I normally use Tour 90s. As for the racquet itself, the build quality is wonderful and they are form Austria! Bought another one from TW last week.

jackson vile
11-24-2006, 08:16 AM
Totally agree with the comment. I stung it with Head Ultra Tour 16g @ 60lbs and weighted it to 365g with leather grip and lead at 3/9, it is good when I'm off espcially for reflex shoots, serves have higher in percentage. Just have to adjust a bit for single back hand as I normally use Tour 90s. As for the racquet itself, the build quality is wonderful and they are form Austria! Bought another one from TW last week.

Very very nice mods, the only thing I would suggest is to ditch the leather grip and in stead put that weight into the bottom of the handle to increase the effectiveness of your 1hbh.

TheRed
11-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Good for doubles. Weak for singles.

I've been playing for 15 yrs and I really don't understand why people say things like this about a racket. there's nothing about a racquet that says it's better for singles than doubles.

ollinger
11-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Exactly. If anything, you need a few shots in your arsenal for doubles that you can manage in singles without (a very accurate return of serve, some loopy topspin so you can force the guys at net to volley from down low) so I don't see how a racquet good for doubles would fail to be a good racquet in singles. And the Tour is not the most agile stick around, so it's odd to suggest that it's especially suited to doubles.

rainmaker
11-24-2006, 10:11 AM
interesting....:?

bcsax123
11-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Exactly. If anything, you need a few shots in your arsenal for doubles that you can manage in singles without (a very accurate return of serve, some loopy topspin so you can force the guys at net to volley from down low) so I don't see how a racquet good for doubles would fail to be a good racquet in singles. And the Tour is not the most agile stick around, so it's odd to suggest that it's especially suited to doubles.

So are you saying in singles you can just return a serve back anywhere?

ollinger
11-24-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm saying that in an era when very few singles players play S and V, a particularly accurate return of serve is not a very important part of one's arsenal. Getting the ball back reasonably deep will suffice. In fact, even against S and V singles, keeping a return fairly low will suffice; excellent directional control is not imperative as it is in doubles.

dcheung
11-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Very very nice mods, the only thing I would suggest is to ditch the leather grip and in stead put that weight into the bottom of the handle to increase the effectiveness of your 1hbh.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll replace the string with Signum Pro Poly Megaforce 17L (1.19) at the same tension and try again. I replaced the same string on my Ncode 90 but lowered tension to 52 from 56lbs, the outcome was surprising, especially the back hand slice has more bite and depth.