PDA

View Full Version : Technifibre T-Fight 335 (18x20)

TonyB
11-21-2006, 08:51 PM
I just demo-ed it for the first time tonight and was quite surprised.

Wow, what a racquet. Very sweet. Comfortable, sturdy, and with a solid feel to it when you make contact. And it has a surprisingly good access to spin, even with the tight string pattern. I was hitting some nice kick serves... some of the best that I've ever hit, in fact.

I don't have time to write too much about it right now, but I just wanted to get a thread started to see what others had to say about it.

Anyone actually using this racquet? I like it a lot.

MrBluefin
11-22-2006, 06:26 AM
I'm on the TW waiting list to demo this one and the 320 as well. I gave up on trying to get a Redondo demo. How does the 63 stiffness play to you? Firm hoop or soft? Please do give some more follow up when you get a chance.

TonyB
11-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Ok, here's a quick run-down on the racquet:

The racquet does feel "stiff" to some extent. It does not have the buttery feel of an old school racquet, but it's not so stiff as to have a completely dead feel. It's "crisp," if you will.

The sweet spot was fairly large and appeared to be located further towards the top of the head as opposed to most other racquets that have the sweet spot further down towards the throat. Since I tend to hit above the 3-9 o'clock line, I noticed a bit of an improvement in feel over other racquets that I've tried.

I did add 2.5 grams (each side) at 3 and 9 o'clock for stability. The racquet feels lighter than it actually is, so I wanted to make sure that stability was not an issue. I didn't find any drawbacks to the added weight and the stability did seem to improve a bit.

Ground strokes were solid, and actually quite powerful. The racquet was not touchy at all... even slight miss-hits landed in the court and seemed to be somewhat controlled.

Serves were fairly powerful. I also demoed the Yonex RDS 001 (Mid) at the same time and there was no comparison: with the RDS, I was able to deliver absolute BOMBS, while the TF335 was only "average to above-average" in the service department. I found it comfortable to swing and I found the swingweight to be "just right." (As a side note, the RDS001 had a surprising amount of power, even though my demo racquet was strung with 16 gauge poly.)

Volleys were solid and comfortable, with adequate power. Control was nice, and once again, even with miss-hits, the ball still came off the racquet with decent pace and good control. I was pleasantly surprised by the volleying ability of this racquet.

As I said, when you pick up the racquet, it FEELS lighter than it actually measures (my demo measured 344g + 5g added = 349g, or 12.3 oz.). And it swings very light, too. You almost feel as though you're swinging a 10-oz. racquet, it's very strange.

Overall, a VERY good racquet that's pleasing to hit with, swings very light, but hits the ball in a solid manner with a good amount of pace. Speed and spin control were also no problem whatsoever. You could hit bombs or spinny junk without struggling.

I only hit with the racquet for a couple hours, but I found the experience enjoyable. Definitely enough to make me want to try it again, and possibly enough to make me want to buy one so that I can get an even longer demo. It's definitely a racquet that feels like it's got serious potential. Definitely more of a control racquet than a power racquet, but there was a good balance between the two that made this racquet fun to hit with.

Definitely something I could see myself switching to in the future.

BreakPoint
11-22-2006, 10:41 AM
TonyB,

Thanks for the quick review. I was wondering if you compared the TF335 with the RDS 001 Mid or MP?

byealmeens
11-22-2006, 11:39 AM
The sweet spot was fairly large and appeared to be located further towards the top of the head as opposed to most other racquets that have the sweet spot further down towards the throat. Since I tend to hit above the 3-9 o'clock line, I noticed a bit of an improvement in feel over other racquets that I've tried.

I agree that the frame is nice, especially with a little added lead. It does seem to have nice spin potential and is very solid. I am a bit surprised that you found the sweet-spot higher as I did not. I've found more "oval-shaped" frames to have pretty "centered" or slightly below-center sweet-spots myself, and this frame is definitely more on the oval side....

TonyB
11-22-2006, 12:13 PM
TonyB,

Thanks for the quick review. I was wondering if you compared the TF335 with the RDS 001 Mid or MP?

Updated my earlier post to specify that the RDS 001 was the Mid size.

I don't have enough playing time on the RDS to offer any comparative review between the two, but I will say that the RDS is one of the best serving racquets that I've ever hit with. If you catch the ball right, you can generate some serious pace and spin with it.

The TF335 by comparison is noticably weaker in the serve area, although my consistency with it might be better. Clearly, the added power of the RDS can be tougher to control; the ball tended to land just outside the service box most of the time, hardly ever hitting the net.

Reflex volleys with the RDS were tough to control, as the added power of the racquet often caused the ball to sail long if you didn't have time to prepare the shot. However, if you were able to set up and get a good bead on the volley, the results were amazing.

The TF335 was a bit more subdued all around. I found it "comfortable" to hit with, because I knew there wouldn't be any surprises, even on reflex volleys or off-center hits. Everything seemed to land in the court, and most of the time with good pace.

In comparison with my current racquet (Slazenger X1), the TF335 offered more power, about the same amount of control, and a slightly less muted feel. However, the X1 still just "feels right" to me and I love the precision on volleys that it provides. And when I nail an approach shot with the X1, I'm 100% confident that the ball will land within a foot of where I'm aiming. I'm not ready to say that about the TF335 just yet.

As I said, I need more playing time with it before making a better judgement.

(If anyone has one for sale, I'd probably be interested (4-3/8" grip size), just because I get the feeling that I want to play with this racquet for a bit more than just the 1-week demo period).

nyc
11-22-2006, 06:23 PM
I demoed both the 16x19 and the 18x20 TF335s, coming from a leaded-up FXP prestige MP.

I really enjoyed the added stability and heft, and found the 335 to be surprisingly maneuverable.

coming from a tighter string pattern I assumed I would like the 18x20 more, but ultimately decided to go with the 16x20 as it offered better access to spin and a more lively feel - just the right amount of "pop" that I was looking for.

I've been hitting with it for 2 weeks now and absolutely love it! Great power, spin and still enough control to find those corners. Have it strung at 55lbs with Biphasse 17. :-D

BTW, I will add the TF315 as my doubles racquet, as soon as the prices will come down. I guess I'm a total Tecnifibre convert....

Richie Rich
11-22-2006, 07:36 PM
I did add 2.5 grams (each side) at 3 and 9 o'clock for stability. The racquet feels lighter than it actually is, so I wanted to make sure that stability was not an issue. I didn't find any drawbacks to the added weight and the stability did seem to improve a bit.

As I said, when you pick up the racquet, it FEELS lighter than it actually measures (my demo measured 344g + 5g added = 349g, or 12.3 oz.). And it swings very light, too. You almost feel as though you're swinging a 10-oz. racquet, it's very strange.

That's exactly what i found when i hit with the 335. it does feel much lighter because of the hl balance. i added lead at 10/2 just because i tend hit more balls in the upper hoop and with the shape of the head the sweetspot is probably a little over center anyway. even with the lead it still feels lighter than lighter more even balanced racquets. it's a dream to swing.

saqdeez
11-22-2006, 09:03 PM
I demoed this last week and i HATED IT. It just felt awful, it lacked feel of any kind. It was mediocre in every area for me, especially serves and volleys.

I bought a prestige mid yesterday, now that is a racket.

11-23-2006, 07:15 AM
I'm also an X1 user and play a lot of 4.5-5.0 dubs and have been curious about the 335. IMO the X1 really feels like a natural extension of my arm.

If you feel the same about the X1 would you say the 335 also feels very 'natural' in the hand? Some sticks while other don't. It's a very subjective quality.

TonyB
11-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Yeah, the X1 is a sweet racquet, but the only thing I don't really like about it is the complete lack of power. Even with lively strings, I can't generate the same power that a racquet like the RDS 001 (mid) allows me to generate. As a result, I frequently try to overpower the ball and my technique can get a little loose if I'm trying to do that, resulting in many unforced errors.

At the net, the same type of thing can happen; I can tend to want to put a bit more punch on the ball, so my timing can get thrown off, especially when I'm tired.

I'm hoping that the TF335 gives me that little extra bit of power while maintaining a similar control and feel to the X1. Honestly, though, I don't think it's too far off...

In terms of a "natural extension", I totally understand what you mean, and I think the TF335 is as close as I've come to the X1 as any other racquet so far. The balance and swing-ability is not identical, but I think it's close enough where you can adjust to it fairly quickly. However, I will say this: at the end of the practice session, I picked up my X1 and thought to myself, "Man, exactly WHY do I want to replace this racquet??" (I have to keep reminding myself of the answer, of course. It's because I want a bit more power without sacrificing the sturdy feel and control that the X1 provides.)

But you're right -- replacing that "natural feeling swing" is going to be tough. The X1 really is so precisely balanced that it's an absolute dream to swing and volley with. I suspect that I just might have to make due with something that's close, and simply adjust to it, because I really do want a bit more power out of the racquet so I don't have to swing at 100% all the time.

If I had to classify them:

The Slaz X1 is a precision scalpel, at the baseline or net. Very muted feel, stiff, but comfortable. You just have to THINK about where you want the ball to go, and it'll go there. Its main weakness is that it is very difficult to get any pop on defensive shots, unless you open the racquet face and catch the ball just right in the sweet spot, at which point you get "moderate" pace.

The RDS 001 Mid is an absolute weapon. No real weaknesses, except perhaps it might not be quite as precise as the X1 or the TF335. You can go for broke with this racquet, but make sure you leave some margin for error inside the lines. Spin generation is very nice and complements players with a heavy topspin game. Putaway volleys at net are a no-brainer.

The TF335 is a cross between the two, offering a balanced amount of power, but still has that somewhat muted, stiffer feel like the X1. Comfortable at the baseline or net, offering enough power to add punch to volleys and defensive baseline shots, but still has enough precision and control to give you enough confidence to go for the lines.

BreakPoint
11-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Hmmm....interesting that you think the X-1 has no power, TonyB. I actually think it has TOO MUCH power. That's why mine stays in my bag most of the time. I only bring it out if I'm playing against a huge hitter and I need more power to counteract his shots.

If the X-1 were rated a 10 for power, my usual Asian nCode 90 would probably be a 3, as it's much lower powered. I have to swing really hard just to get the ball over the net and it's rare that I ever hit the ball long.

If the TF335 is even more powerful than the X-1, then it may be too powerful for me.

TonyB
11-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Well, maybe you've got a different X1 than I do! It *is* low powered, when compared against virtually ANY other racquet. In fact, I've got a variety of 7 racquets sitting here right now (everything from a Volkl V-10 MP to my ancient Yonex R-22) that all have WAY more power than the X1.

I've hit with my friend's nCode 6.1 Tour and it's got a ton more power than the my X1. And his nCode is strung with poly.

Your comments shock me, because every other comment, everywhere on the internet, that I've read about the X1 states that it is very low powered.

I've been trying a variety of strings in my X1 to bring the power level up from "pathetic" to "somewhat higher than pathetic." I just put some Klip Venom in, strung at 58/56, and it's actually not bad. Initially, I thought it might be too tight, but it actually feels good and makes the frame a bit more lively. Yet it's still way below the RDS001 Mid, the TF335, and the PS 6.0 95 that I've demoed recently. As I said, the RDS mid (even strung up with poly) is like a rocket launcher compared to the X1.

11-23-2006, 12:28 PM
When I'm 'on' the X1 is totally like a scalpel.......I know exactly what you mean. For me, its power level is slightly on the low side and I feel it can pushed around a little bit on really heavy groundies....and it's not a very forgiving stick. But it is very precise and you can hit any shot in the book with it. Volleys are it so natural with it. And if your play an attacking all-court or S & V style, it's awesome. The positive feedback on the TF335 make me want one though.

BreakPoint
11-23-2006, 12:28 PM
TonyB,

Hmmm...interesting. The X-1 is most definitely, and by far, the most powerful racquet that I currently own. The others being the Asian nSix-One Tour, PS 6.0 95, RDX 500 Mid, Vantage 90, and Max200G. Mine is strung with a basic mono syn gut at around 60 lbs. What is yours strung with?

BTW, I think I've read on this board that some others here have also found it to be powerful. The power comes from the stiffness. I can hit my serves and groundies really hard with the X-1 and tend to hit the ball long more often with it than with my other racquets.

BTW, I also don't find the RDX 500 Mid to be underpowered like many people here feel it is. Maybe I must just have huge, long, powerful strokes? ;)

BTW, did you learn to play with a wood racquet like I did?

TonyB
11-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Coincidentally, yes, I started playing with woodies. The Dunlop Maxply and Wilson Chris Evert special (hey, I was only 10 years old, I was allowed to play with a "women's" racquet) were my only options at the time. I graduated to a Head Edge (the metal one with the brown plastic throat piece) and then finally got a Yonex R-22 when I hit high school.

But yeah, I really can't explain your feeling of the X1 as being "powerful". That really goes against most of what I've experienced so far. But I somewhat disagree with "007" in that I don't get pushed around at the baseline by heavy hitters. I've added a bit of weight at 3 and 9 and it has helped the stability. I can easily keep up with the club pro at the baseline.

I've used a variety of strings on the X1 so far (all but the Dynamite strung at 58M/56C): Ashaway Dynamite (nice crisp string, strung at 48/46), Ashaway Liberty (my favorite synthetic), SPPP 1.18 (hated it), and the latest being the Klip Venom (very lively, not too bad). But in no instance would I ever classify the X1 as being powerful. The Venom seems to offer the most power so far (except for the Dynamite when it got really loose) and seems to fit the frame very well. If I had to pick just one string for the X1, that would be it.

Anyways, I've tried the RDS 500 mid and found it fairly decent, but not nearly as powerful as the 001 mid.

I like your other racquet choices: the Vantage 90 and Max 200g. Those two are on my "want to demo" list. I was close to buying some used Vantages, but I decided against it, since I had so many other racquets to try at the time.

Thanks for your input. Although I can't agree with some of your opinions, I enjoy discussing them anyways.

EDIT: BTW, I have a PS 6.0 95 in my bag right now. I'll be playing tomorrow or Saturday, so I'll make it a point to test them side by side to rate their relative power levels.

BreakPoint
11-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Well, I guess this just goes to show that people's opinions of tennis racquets are highly subjective. ;)

TonyB
11-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Just thought I'd finish up my thoughts on this thread.

I played with the PS 6.0 95 today (demo from TW) and it is, without a doubt, WAY more powerful than the Slazenger X1.

Although I could put more spin on the ball with the PS and keep it in the court, the racquet was like a trampoline compared to the X1. I really liked it on volleys, especially the high backhand volley, because I could virtually just stick my racquet up, meet the ball, and the result would be a hard winner.

I don't know what tension the PS was strung with, but the TW demos are typically towards the middle of the range, which would put it around 60 lb.

Either way, it's no comparison. I'm not sure what PS 6.0 95 you're playing with, Breakpoint, but it must not bear any resemblance to this one. Yes, it's a sweet ride, but it's very powerful.

That being said, I'm not sure what the goal is. I've had trouble with low-powered racquets (i.e., the X1) on difficult volleys because I can't generate the pace that I need without really swinging at them. So maybe I do need to find something with a little more pop. In that sense, the PS 6.0 95 is nice.

Anyways, this thread was about the TF335. I played again with it today and it still feels the same. Nice pop, great control, decent spin. Nice volleys, too.

Definitely looks like a racquet I'll be buying, at least for an extended demo.

BreakPoint
11-26-2006, 10:38 AM
TonyB,

You see, that proves once again that racquets are highly subjective. I find the X-1 to be WAY more powerful than my PS 6.0 95. I've always thought of my PS 6.0 95 as being one of the lowest powered racquets around. Less powerful than even the PS 6.0 85 due to lower weight and lower stiffness. When I was playing regularly with the PS 6.0 95, if I felt I needed more power against an opponent in a match, I'd switch to the X-1 and immediately I could hit most of my shots about twice as hard as I could with the PS 6.0 95 just because of the X-1's greater stiffness. I'm talking about sheer pace and not necessarily depth. And I agree the PS 6.0 95 is a bit more trampoline-like due to the more flexible head. That's why it needs to be strung tighter. Mine are always strung with a basic mono syn gut (Gosen OG Micro 16) at 60 lbs. I would not recommend going much lower than 60 lbs. on the PS 6.0 95.

I guess we just swing at the ball differently? ;) I take huge, long swings at the ball and hit pretty flat so a stiff racquet that has some weight to it like the X-1 is like a bazooka in my hands. ;) How do you hit the ball?

TonyB
11-26-2006, 11:53 AM
I don't hit flat, unless I'm looking for a putaway. Most of my shots are hit with a good amount of topspin, with a semi-western forehand. I don't hit loopy shots, but they're not really flat.

My strokes are more or less medium-long. I'm not sure I find that the stiffness really affects the power of my shots. I can hit just as hard or harder with an old flexy 100% graphite racquet as I can with the X1.

But as I said, I'm leaning more towards the TF335 in terms of overall performance. I'm hoping it gives me that "little extra" over the X1 that I've been looking for. But I must admit, the X1 strung at 58/56 with Klip Venom is really working for me right now. It's going to be a tough choice.

tennisguy11
11-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Tony, have you tried out the Flexpoint Prestige Mid Plus?

TonyB
11-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Nope. The only Head racquet I've played with lately is the Flexpoint Radical. I thought it was a decent racquet, but a little light.

I couldn't see any advantage to the Flexpoints. But it was a nice racquet.

jeffreyfranz
11-30-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm on the TW waiting list to demo this one and the 320 as well. I gave up on trying to get a Redondo demo. How does the 63 stiffness play to you? Firm hoop or soft? Please do give some more follow up when you get a chance.

:idea: I have the Redondo 4-3/8 Midplus. I used overwraps to make the handle approx. 4-5/8. I will be returning it on Saturday, if you want to hurry in and get it. I had the same frustration you did, then got lucky.

BTW, if you love to hit out but are only a mediocre (what's the nice word for that?) player like me and need help with control, the Redondo is something special. You can really belt the ball and, as long as you keep your head down and swing through, it stays in.

Good luck.

maroontennis
12-01-2006, 06:43 AM
I just got a TF 335 18X20 from TW this week. I had it strung with TF Redcode at 65. I used to use the LM Prestige MP strung with Lux Alu Rough at 68. The TF has a very large sweetspot and is much easier to serve with than the Prestige. I found groundies were a little easier to hit with than the Prestige and although the TF is listed as weighing more than the Prestige, it swings so much lighter. Topspin was easier to create with the TF as well. I'm about a 5.0 with a semi-western/western forhand and a two handed backhand. The RedCode is surprisingly good, I usually only go with Lux but since TW didn't have any in stock at the time, I decided to try the RedCode. I'm really glad I got the TFs and I have ordered two more.

sabi
12-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Interesting comments about the X1. My experiences are like those of Breakpoint. I love the X1. Its stiff frame and open string pattern make for a very powerful racquet, perhaps the most powerful of any 'players racquet' I have used. Save for the RDX 500 Mid no other racquet allows me to hit as hard a shot on my 1hbh, my better side. Only thing that comes close to the X1 in power, for me, is the Ti-80. I leave the X1 in the bag though because it is a little too demanding for me to play consistent tennis with.

I have recently been hitting with a Flexpoint Prestige MP and find the racquet one of the best I've used. (I've read and heard from folks at local tournaments about how the pros don't like the flexpoint and use only Pjs - personally I'm very impressed with the flexpoint prestige). The power in comparison to the X1 is interesting. The flex of the frame is more foregiving and tends to give me better directional control (angular across the horizontal plane of the court) and more consistent trajectory control (in a vertical plane) as compared to the X1 and other racquets I've hit with. The result, from looking at the reactions of those I regularly hit against, seems to be a ball that has more spin and acts "heavier" than that I am able to produce with the X1. Less passing shot winners with the flexpoint no doubt, but heavier balls landing shorter in the court with heavier spin and thus more consistent power shots. Sort of counterintuitive given that the Head has a tigher string pattern. Perhaps just technique. Perhaps larger sweetspot as well.

For those of you that like the X1 but would like less power check out the new Aerogel 200. I hit with one for a few hours and almost walked away wanting to pre-order a pair before they come out. The Aerogel 200 is a great stick. Very stable, pin point control, heavy spin generator, and not the stiffer feel of the X1. The only odd thing is that it feels more evenly balanced almost head heavy (in comparison to whippy sticks like hte x1), so on the 1 hbh you need to be strong and have excellent technique to get similar results. All around, after hitting with the Aerogel 200 and Aerogel 300, Dunlop has some real winners coming out in January (or whenever). I see the Dunlop fan base growing.

Regarding the original post, the Technifibre 335, I've never hit with one as it would be too heavy for my strokes. But I've been told that the racquet is SO DEMANDING (low powered in particular) that it's not suggested for anyone not at the highest calibur of play and very strong on top of that. I'm guessing that over 6 foot, and 185 plus would be a good starting metric for strength, based on what this one store person was telling me. I heard that technifbre may not even try to push distribution on the racquet (may try to stop distributing it) because it's just too demanding.

I hit with the new Technifibre 320 and thought that was sorely undepowered, muted, and unstable. It was odd, as I have found the 305, 315, and 325 to all be pretty good sticks. Quiet good actually, if you can get by the stiffness of the technfibre frames in general.

Anyway, thanks for the comments from the original poster, breakpoint, et al. Interesting reads.

TonyB
12-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Regarding the original post, the Technifibre 335, I've never hit with one as it would be too heavy for my strokes. But I've been told that the racquet is SO DEMANDING (low powered in particular)

You see, this is the type of statement that I just can't comprehend. The TF335 is NOTICEABLY more powerful than my X1. It's not even close. I have to absolutely pulverize the ball with my X1, strung with a powerful multifilament, to generate any serious pace. In contrast, the TF335 is almost effortless at generating the same or greater pace. That's one of the reasons I actually bought one after demo-ing it.

I just continue to be perplexed at the conflicting opinions and experiences between identical racquets in the hands of different individuals. Not that it really matters to me a whole lot, since I play with what *I* like best. But what bothers me is that two or three people can play with the same racquet and come away with such opposite viewpoints. I mean, POWER isn't really a subjective trait. Either a racquet has power or it doesn't. It's not like a judgement of "feel" or "touch."

I just don't get it.

sabi
12-01-2006, 06:37 PM
That is interesting. It could be a matter of strings/string tension. I usually string my X1 in the mid to low 50s and then still wait a few hours of hitting for the strings to settle in. Have found good feel/power with x-one biphase, although I enjoyed with the an ALU hybrid as well as a Gosen hybrid.

I have never hit with the 335, so I was only conveying the comments of one of the top store owners in my area. That's all. If the 335 is working for you and others, that is all that matters. Keep enjoying.

One of the reasons why I'm able to get so much power in the X1 is that it swings faster than any 12 ounce racquet I have every tried. I can swing that racquet faster than nearly any other racquet actually, and the stiffness keeps the racquet stable through the strike zone. As racquets increase in swingweight I have to swing them harder to compensate for the lack of speed with which I could move the racquet. My Ti-80 for example requires much more strength during heavy hitting than does my X1. I can feel the difference in my muscles after 2 hours with the Ti-80 versus the X1. One requires much more effort for pace generation (again from me). Sensing that sort of thing, I consider racquets that require more work to be less powerful for me, because they require more for the same amount.

But, maybe it's jsut strings. The last string I got on my X1 was with NRG or something and the racquet felt dead and lifeless the first half hour of hitting. I still have not tried to break in the strings in the hopes of livening up the frame to where it was with the x-one biphase.

Try the X1 at a different string tension and see if you like it.

And if you are loving the 335, that's great. Continued happy hitting. This email thread just shows us that different people, different players, with different physiques, skill levels, playing styles, grip form, whatever, will view two sames totally differently.

ClimbK2
12-01-2006, 08:16 PM
The power levels of the following racquets, per USRSA tool (avail. free at tennis mag. web site)
TF 335 18x20 2042
Slazeneger X1 1941
Wilson PS 6.0 95 MP 2091
Wilson N6.1 95 18x20 1981
Redondo 1723
Dunlop 200G 95 1790
Flex Prestige MP 2037
Volkl DNX10 1969

I've been demoing 18x20 racquets & have demos of the TF 335 18x20 & Redondo on order from TW. Loved the DNX10 & N6.1 95 18x20. Prestige & Wilson PS 6.0 felt a bit hard on my arm.

miketran
12-01-2006, 08:21 PM
so the TF 335 has more power than the FXP prestige MP??? i was considering switching to it from my fxp prestige because i felt it was too powerful (even after making it 12.8oz)....now im rethinking what i want.

sabi
12-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks Climbk2. I only went to the RSI website for power ratings. I did not know tennis.com had the information, and with the new racquets like the 335.

Interesting that the power listing is much different than what was suggested to me. Power on par with the n6.1 95, and that's a racquet with so much power as to feel too easy at times.

I have a friend who was looking for 325. I may now suggest that he demo the 335 as well. Thanks.

Richie Rich
12-02-2006, 04:11 AM
I have a friend who was looking for 325. I may now suggest that he demo the 335 as well. Thanks.

they are two completely diff frames so good idea to hit with both side by side. the 335 swings easier as its more HL and is also std length vs the 325

TonyB
12-02-2006, 05:51 AM
I still have not tried to break in the strings in the hopes of livening up the frame to where it was with the x-one biphase.

Try the X1 at a different string tension and see if you like it.

That's a good point. I guess I just made the assumption that most people are staying within the X1's small tension range. I've found that once you go outside that range, the racquet really performs poorly. 55-60 is about the max. range for good performance.

Right now, I'm using the Klip Venom 17 strung at 58/56. It's working beautifully in the X1. I did try synthetic gut at 52 and the racquet played terribly. If you hit the sweet spot, it was like a trampoline, but anything outside that was virtually dead. The sweet spot with the Venom is pretty darn big, and the high tension (58 lb.) doesn't seem to affect the playability at all. The string is so smooth and soft, yet VERY crisp, that you get power WITH control. In contrast, the synthetic gut and polys that I've tried just don't work well at all with the X1.

I did go out today and played with the TF335 strung at 55 lb. (mains & crosses) and it felt good. No pain or tiredness in my arm at all. The ball was really jumping, so I think it's likely that I'll go a bit higher with the tension next time around. Technifibre recommends a 55-65 tension range, so I'm really at the low end, playing with a soft synthetic gut. The power is nice and the feel is nice, but the control is a bit lacking. I definitely need to string it a bit tighter.

I plan on trying some of the multifilaments (Venom, X-1 Biphase, etc.) with the TF335 to see if I can liven it up a bit and increase the control with higher tensions. But I need to get accustomed to the racquet first before I go playing around too much with changes.

sabi
12-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Klip Venom was in one of the Ti-80s I purchased once. A softer string for a stiffer/metallic frame, but offering great control and plenty of pace. The string played incredibly well, as the seller told me it woulgd. None of the string shops/tennis stores in my area carry the string though. Given how Venom played in the Ti-80, it might be superb (to me) in the X1 - not so sure about the flexpoint MP.

Given that we seem to view the string similarly, do you have another string that you find comparable to the Venom?

haveheart
12-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Just demo'ed TF 335. I was a bit better than I expected for an MP stick (I usually prefer mids, but like everyone else, getting a bit older ... looking for more power and something less demanding).

Positives: crisp, powerful, solid

Negative: could have more "feel" but not bad considering stiffness of 66 (written inside throat of stick). Also sweetspot is too close to grip (I guess I'm missing my mids). Also, beam width seemed 1-2 mm wider than advertised at 20mm.

I also own a Slaz X1, and like others, for me this stick is fairly powerful. But ... I string with Alu power rough at 52/50 (I find that this poly has less trampoline effect at low tension compared with multi's or gut). But even then I couldn't hit a "heavy" ball until it was leaded up. But with this setup (low tension, leaded) the stick is quite powerful indeed.

Between the two I think I like the X1 better, but the one disadvantage of the X1 is that with the rounder head, it tends to twist more on mishits. Also both don't have the feel or pocketing of the RDX 500 mid which is my current stick.

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Just demo'ed TF 335. I was a bit better than I expected for an MP stick (I usually prefer mids, but like everyone else, getting a bit older ... looking for more power and something less demanding).

Positives: crisp, powerful, solid

Negative: could have more "feel" but not bad considering stiffness of 66 (written inside throat of stick). Also sweetspot is too close to grip (I guess I'm missing my mids). Also, beam width seemed 1-2 mm wider than advertised at 20mm.

I also own a Slaz X1, and like others, for me this stick is fairly powerful. But ... I string with Alu power rough at 52/50 (I find that this poly has less trampoline effect at low tension compared with multi's or gut). But even then I couldn't hit a "heavy" ball until it was leaded up. But with this setup (low tension, leaded) the stick is quite powerful indeed.

Between the two I think I like the X1 better, but the one disadvantage of the X1 is that with the rounder head, it tends to twist more on mishits. Also both don't have the feel or pocketing of the RDX 500 mid which is my current stick.

Funny, I also own an X-1 and a RDX 500 Mid and I also usually prefer Mids. :D And I agree with all your comments about both the X-1 and the RDX. (Both of mine X-1 and RDX are weighted up with leather grips, and the X-1 also has the added weight of a full heat shrink sleeve.)

I guess great minds think alike. ;)

bcsax123
12-02-2006, 11:07 AM
so the TF 335 has more power than the FXP prestige MP??? i was considering switching to it from my fxp prestige because i felt it was too powerful (even after making it 12.8oz)....now im rethinking what i want.

Generally more weight = More power.

haveheart
12-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Funny, I also own an X-1 and a RDX 500 Mid and I also usually prefer Mids. :D And I agree with all your comments about both the X-1 and the RDX. (Both of mine X-1 and RDX are weighted up with leather grips, and the X-1 also has the added weight of a full heat shrink sleeve.)

I guess great minds think alike. ;)

Breakpoint, what's your current stick? Although the RDX mid is a great racquet, I keep searching for "perfection" and the RDX, IMHO, does have some limitations (eg. a bit bulky, could be more aerodynamic, also, can't serve flat bombs, although spin serves are great).

I just tried the Redondo mid (after waiting 3 months for the demo!) and it was disappointing. I posted a comment on the Redondo thread, but briefly, I thought that the Redondo "pockets the ball well in the sweetspot but the sweetspot is definitely smaller than RDX and the hit was surprisingly jarring outside the sweetspot. Also it's less powerful keeping everything else the same (strings, tension, lead, etc)--no chance for a killer shot off the back foot behind the baseline."

Have you tried DNX 10 mid? I demo'ed it once and had trouble with the grip (strange squarish shape), but for a mid it was possibly the most inherently powerful stick that I've tried. One negative was that it played much stiffer than its 58 rating, and I'm worried that after the aphrodisiac of power wears off, I'll have another stick that just sits in the closet.:-(

TonyB
12-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Given that we seem to view the string similarly, do you have another string that you find comparable to the Venom?

Unfortunately, no. I haven't found a string yet that compares.

However, I have not tested many of those strings which may be similar. Some of those are: Technifibre NRG2, Technifibre X-1 Biphase, Klip Excellerator, and possibly the Wilson Extreme.

I have ordered some X-1 Biphase and some Excellerator from TW. I should be able to test those within a month or so, depending on my existing strings breaking, getting too loose, or going dead.

That being said, I don't expect to see a huge improvement over the Venom. It really is an outstanding string.

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Breakpoint, what's your current stick? Although the RDX mid is a great racquet, I keep searching for "perfection" and the RDX, IMHO, does have some limitations (eg. a bit bulky, could be more aerodynamic, also, can't serve flat bombs, although spin serves are great).

I just tried the Redondo mid (after waiting 3 months for the demo!) and it was disappointing. I posted a comment on the Redondo thread, but briefly, I thought that the Redondo "pockets the ball well in the sweetspot but the sweetspot is definitely smaller than RDX and the hit was surprisingly jarring outside the sweetspot. Also it's less powerful keeping everything else the same (strings, tension, lead, etc)--no chance for a killer shot off the back foot behind the baseline."

Have you tried DNX 10 mid? I demo'ed it once and had trouble with the grip (strange squarish shape), but for a mid it was possibly the most inherently powerful stick that I've tried. One negative was that it played much stiffer than its 58 rating, and I'm worried that after the aphrodisiac of power wears off, I'll have another stick that just sits in the closet.

Wow, we really do indeed think alike! :D

I was also disappointed with the Redondo Mid for the same reasons that you cited, e.g., too underpowered, etc. Unfortunately, the RDX 500 Mid has just about the largest sweetspot for a 90 sq. in. frame in exsistance IMO, so you're probably not going to find another Mid with a larger or as large of a sweetspot.

I also agree that the DNX 10 Mid is the most powerful Mid I have ever hit with, and I also could not get used to the rectangular-shaped Volkl grip. It also made a "pinging" sound/sensation which I wasn't used to and did not like. It's pretty stiff in the hoop at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions where the DNX material has been added.

So what am I currently playing with? I'm playing with the Asian nSix-One Tour 90. Not the best racquet in the world but a good compromise. Swings just slightly heavier than my previous PS 6.0 95 (even though it weighs less) but eaiser than the U.S. spec nSix-One Tour. It's also very solid and stable for a racquet that's only 12.0 oz. strung. Not very powerful, but excellent control. It's almost like playing with a wood Jack Kramer Autograph. :-o I do wish the feel isn't as muted as it is. Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying the new K-Factor! :D

sabi
12-02-2006, 03:38 PM
breakpoint and haveheart can you post the weighting mods you done to you X1s, or links to discussions where you have listed the modifications.

I leaded one of mine up, but too much. I started hitting with the flexpoint Prestige MP after leading up the X1 and have not had the energy to go back and tweak the X1.

RDX 500 mid is a great stick, but I have struggled to find a sting and tension that I really like. Currently have an ALU/NRG hybrid strung around 55 lbs. Cool, but seems a little underpowered and forces me to swing a little harder. Demo'd an RDX 500 mid from TW many many months ago, that stick was like a squash racquet, I can be on the run, back half turned, and extending and still get off a nice, powerful flick on the backhand. Didn't think the RDX 500 mid would be string sensitive, but is has been for, either that, or I'm just playing differently now than I did this summer.

BreakPoint
12-02-2006, 07:15 PM
sabi,

The only mods I made to my X-1 was the addition of a full shrink sleeve and a leather grip, which increased the strung weight from 12.0 oz. to 12.9 oz. No lead added anywhere.

BTW, increasing the weight was not even my goal in making these mods. The stock 4 3/8 grip was too small for me so I had a sleeve added to increase the grip size to 4 1/2. I never even knew that these sleeves would add so much weight at the time that I had it done, but it upped the weight by 0.7 oz. The leather grip was added because I prefer the feel of leather and I have leather grips on all of my racquets. That added an extra 0.2 oz.

With the heavier weight, the racquet definitely feels more stable and added a bit more power, but the main difference is how solid it now feels, like the racquet was carved out of a piece of granite or something. My opponents can throw anything at me no matter how heavy and my modded X-1 can handle it. :D

haveheart
12-07-2006, 05:48 AM
breakpoint and haveheart can you post the weighting mods you done to you X1s, or links to discussions where you have listed the modifications.

I leaded one of mine up, but too much. I started hitting with the flexpoint Prestige MP after leading up the X1 and have not had the energy to go back and tweak the X1.

RDX 500 mid is a great stick, but I have struggled to find a sting and tension that I really like. Currently have an ALU/NRG hybrid strung around 55 lbs. Cool, but seems a little underpowered and forces me to swing a little harder. Demo'd an RDX 500 mid from TW many many months ago, that stick was like a squash racquet, I can be on the run, back half turned, and extending and still get off a nice, powerful flick on the backhand. Didn't think the RDX 500 mid would be string sensitive, but is has been for, either that, or I'm just playing differently now than I did this summer.
Sabi, my mods for X1 are simple: 3" lead at both 3 and 9 o'clock, and 4" wrapped around the buttcap beneath the grip.

Also, I do find RDX 500 mid to be string sensitive. I like to wrist shots as well and I use ALU rough 51/49 main/cross. I was into hybrids for a while, but I find the full poly setup to be superior if you need to drop the tension (powerful flick shots) without trampolining.