PDA

View Full Version : Picture - Prince new O Speed ports

netman
11-22-2006, 10:04 AM
This is a photo of the side of the new O3 Blue featuring the new square O ports.
Has them on the sides, top and bottom.

This is a closeup of one side:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a287/K_K_Bucket/PrinceOSpeedports.jpg

-k-

tennisdarren
11-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the picture, but I really don't know why Prince is introducing other shapes to the 03 line. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference how the string lays going through the frame. I know the Prince "official" reason is that the square holes make the racquet cut through the air quicker but that explanation just doesn't seem to hold water.

abenguyen
11-22-2006, 10:11 AM
they look stupid. prince should just stick with the normal "o" ports rather than "square o" ports

Nuke
11-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Well, manufacturers change the models often because there are some of you (and you know who you are) who just have to have the newest thing, because, like, newer is better or something.

str33t
11-22-2006, 10:54 AM
they'll probably come out with some triangle O ports too ;)

Davai
11-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the picture, but I really don't know why Prince is introducing other shapes to the 03 line. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference how the string lays going through the frame. I know the Prince "official" reason is that the square holes make the racquet cut through the air quicker but that explanation just doesn't seem to hold water.

Prince probably released for the same reason it released the Original O3 holes.
And besides the MC is so low compared to MR so why not.

Duzza
11-22-2006, 04:07 PM
I think it looks great. Any full size?

Return_Ace
11-22-2006, 04:27 PM
i thought they were called O ports because they looks like "O" 's ?????

nalbandian_fan
11-22-2006, 05:32 PM
well with a square port, then the strings should deflect more than with an o port on an off-center hit right? that was my first reaction when i saw that picture

AJK1
11-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Just another fad, i guarantee that in a couple of years Prince will not have one o-port model in their range.

netman
11-22-2006, 07:56 PM
I've hit with it for some time now and do find that the square ports seem to add a touch more power with slightly better control. Would call them evolutionary, not revolutionary.

If you doubt the advantages of O ports, you probably haven't hit with them for an extended period. The performance improvements they provide are very apparent, whether a player frame (O3 Tour) or tweener (O3 Red, White & Blue).

BTW, I'm just an average hack, I don't have any affiliation with Prince.

-k-

BiGGieStuFF
11-22-2006, 08:10 PM
Man is it me or does that picture make the racket look so poorly made. It would look like the strings would shift all over the place. That's just me though.

SFrazeur
11-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Man is it me or does that picture make the racket look so poorly made. It would look like the strings would shift all over the place. That's just me though.There seems to be a slight groove to to keep the string in place.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a287/K_K_Bucket/PrinceOSpeedports.jpg

hadoken
11-22-2006, 08:24 PM
I don't believe in the o3 technology...all it does is make a frame feel mushy. The o3 with it's minimal head mass already whips through the air plenty fast so I don't see this being all that impressive.

SFrazeur
11-22-2006, 08:27 PM
I don't believe in the o3 technology...all it does is make a frame feel mushy. The o3 with it's minimal head mass already whips through the air plenty fast so I don't see this being all that impressive.

I have not hit with any o3 or prince racquet for that matter; but, I think most likely works, I just do not think the gains are worth the costs.

AJK1
11-22-2006, 09:27 PM
James Blake just canned the "03" technology for something more traditional. All the others will soon follow suit.

Duzza
11-22-2006, 09:28 PM
James Blake just canned the "03" technology for something more traditional. All the others will soon follow suit.
I doubt it...I read somewhere Blake is very superstitious about things like that...Davydenko won't thats for sure.

SFrazeur
11-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Delete....

saqdeez
11-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Prince can kiss my ***, im never going to buy any crap that they put out. Focus on tennis and not making stupid gimmicks

netman
11-23-2006, 05:57 AM
Man is it me or does that picture make the racket look so poorly made. It would look like the strings would shift all over the place. That's just me though.

Its actually a very well made frame. Felt very solid, almost like a 12 oz frame. It had a topcoat of all black paint to disguise it since it is a tester. For some strange reason they chose a glossy black which is easily scratched and shows every blemish. Thats what you are seeing on the photo.

There was string movement, but nothing excessive. Its a 16 x 19 pattern on a 110 head so the strings are going to do some walking. There aren't notches in the ports, they are constructed just like the round ones, only square in shape. Personally I think the square holes just allow them to take a bit more weight out of the head, that can then be distributed elsewhere to fine tune the performance profile.

-k-

sureshs
11-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Here is the press release:

http://tenniswire.org/archives/2006/nov/pr_639.html

Rabbit
11-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Square "O" port....I think Prince just defined an oxymoron

SFrazeur
11-23-2006, 01:12 PM
It should come as no surprise that Prince is coming out with a new speedport racquet line. After that they will have Speedport hybrid I would not be surprised if they had a o3-Speedport-duo racquet line with both o3 and Speedports.

Swissv2
11-23-2006, 01:15 PM
looking at square holes for high string tension support makes me shudder.

they are going crazy with their designs.

tonysk83
11-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Prince can kiss my ***, im never going to buy any crap that they put out. Focus on tennis and not making stupid gimmicks

If you've actually played with an O3 racquet, you'd understand that the ports actually do something. They give it an extremely dampened feel, they give the string a lot more movement, and definitely increase the sweetspot. Not saying all those are good, but it definitely is nice if you like a racquet like that.

Duzza
11-23-2006, 03:15 PM
They are only starting out releasing Blue, Red and Silver :(

bluegrasser
11-23-2006, 05:30 PM
I saw one (red ) at my friends shop, silver and red with even balance.

netman
11-23-2006, 05:31 PM
They are only starting out releasing Blue, Red and Silver :(

Makes sense since those are their biggest sellers.

-k-

Kevo
11-23-2006, 05:40 PM
I've only hit with the 03 tour, but I didn't find it to be very different. It did have a slightly different feel to it, but I didn't care for it. It seemed to interfere with the feel rather than help it. It was a demo frame though, and it may not have been strung in a way that complimented the frame.

migjam
11-23-2006, 09:11 PM

All the manufacturers are into gimmicks. What about Wilson Rollers, or Triad? The concept of 'O' ports has been around for a while now with Wilson Powerholes, Volkl Big grommets. Same idea but now Prince has bigger holes and grommet-less.

Rabbit
11-24-2006, 05:47 AM
Except, aren't the little guides between the square ports like grommets? It would seem that Prince is trying to defeat the string movement that the original O-port promoted.

Ripper
11-24-2006, 06:23 AM
This is basic. The squares cover more area than the ovals. So, there's less air resistance. However, to me the real benefit of this technology is not the improved head speed (I can get enough head speed without the holes, thank you), but the larger sweet spot you can get from an equal head size. If you want, I can explain why, but, by now, I think people have got it already. It's true, a larger sweet spot has it's cons and pros, but, for many, the pros are greater than the cons, because these raquets are, simply, less demanding than others and, just because of that, thousands are going to buy them, regardless of the shape of the holes.

Edit: I do have to admit, though, that the oval holes look structurally stronger than the square ones, but I guess the designers get more than enough strength this way, too.

PBODY99
11-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Fox made a series of frames with molded holes in the 1980's that I felt Prince was revisiting with the MORE line. This looks even closer than those. While I don't know if an Arch is that much stronger than an I-Beam, given the loads the frame must withstand I don't think that the frames will have durability issues.

Rabbit
11-25-2006, 05:49 AM
I had a hit with the Red square O-port yesterday. First, the squared O-port also lets Prince do something else they haven't done, increase the number of O-ports. The new squared O-port has O-ports down at the throat of the frame which increases the number of them. The local pro shop here had the Red and Silver models. A friend of mine who is a 3.5 hit with the Silver and said it was powerful, maybe too much so.

The Red was a nice hit. It was very dampened. It was strung with Prince Lightning, which I do not care for. Any way, the frame was very comfortable and had a good response. It had a nice flex and was overall a pretty good frame. If I sound hesitant, it's only because the frame didn't provide much feedback at all. It almost felt as if there was something between my hand and the grip.

All in all, a nice frame but not one that I think I could play with.

cys19
11-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Does this put Prince in place of HEAD as the leader in racquet technology? I hope HEAD doesn't add more flexpoints for their next debut.

Borat
11-25-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm not shure you can call those "o" ports considering they're rectangles......

LoveThisGame
11-26-2006, 03:29 PM
O-Port terminology has already been stretched, so why not rectangular O-Ports;) .

The O3 terminology is what I'm referring to. It started out to be O-Ports on 3 sides of the frame. Of course, it really was 4 sides to some extent; look at the throat.

Then came the O3 Hybrids. I kidded at one time that they should be O2 since the first ones were on two sides only. There's been various combinations during the revolution evolution.

Duzza
11-26-2006, 03:41 PM
This is awesome! Everybody hates it so the price will go down and I can buy them all!!!

WhiteSox05CA
11-26-2006, 03:46 PM
If these new square-ports are actually something special, which I doubt, Prince must have messed up. When Prince tested the idea of O-ports, they probably tried different shapes and designs, and landed on the that worked the best (the current o-port). And you still need mass in these frames.
________
Headshop (http://headshop.net/)

Tour 90
11-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Is it just me, or does that look thin for a Blue O3/square3?

Duzza
11-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Is it just me, or does that look thin for a Blue O3/square3?

It does because the one that this guy tried out was about 12 oz or so. Meaning they will release a Tour version later on.

netman
11-27-2006, 03:50 AM
It does because the one that this guy tried out was about 12 oz or so. Meaning they will release a Tour version later on.

????

The specs for this frame were dead on the current O3 Blue. Same weight, balance, and frame tapers. It was a long way from 12 oz.

-k-

Duzza
11-27-2006, 03:53 AM
????

The specs for this frame were dead on the current O3 Blue. Same weight, balance, and frame tapers. It was a long way from 12 oz.

-k-

Haha just read back. You said "felt almost liike a 12 oz frame" but you also said "110 inch headsize". I lost myself...

netman
11-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Haha just read back. You said "felt almost liike a 12 oz frame" but you also said "110 inch headsize". I lost myself...

You must have been thinking of the old CTS 110 frames that all weighed 12+ oz.
Thank goodness they all had flex ratings in the 50's. :)

-k-

OMGIMACAR
11-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Keep in mind Agassi uses a 107 headsize which is over 12 oz.. lol