PDA

View Full Version : Control with Babolat PD?

goosala
11-22-2006, 10:45 AM
How do you big hitters get any control with the Pure Drive? It's a big head, lightweight, and stiff frame. Also, the tension range is so low with that frame. It amazes me how the big hitters like Roddick can use it.

lenbo01
11-22-2006, 11:06 AM
i've been using a pd standard for the past 5 years, and i have a lot of lead tape on my pd, on the head and the butt cap. without the lead on it, it's hard to play with.

Bottle Rocket
11-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Spin.. Spin is the method for control on these things.

They are made based on the fact that people swing away most of the time with heavy top spin. Most of these modern rackets are terrible for flat hitters, especially the Pure Drive.

Roddick hits with an incredible amount of top spin.

bluegrasser
11-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Spin baby, lots of spin. I tried to like this stick but couldn't keep it in the court, but then again I'm not a spin Dr...

goosala
11-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Oh, that explains why flat hitters like me can not keep the ball in play.

Duzza
11-27-2006, 10:44 PM
I hit flat, and with the PD I HAVE to hit spin, or else.

davedave121
11-28-2006, 07:27 AM
i have my pd leaded up with 20 grams and with a nice balance and sw but still some flat shots are landing long so i decided to start a search for a new racquet because i've given up with my pd.

How do you compare the PD standard with the FXP prestige?

btw i'm a 4.5 player with heavy strokes with spin.

bcsax123
11-28-2006, 07:57 AM
I'm guessing FXP Prestige MP...

Serves: Both can serve bombs, Prestige giving a bit more control, and better for kicks than the PD, PD giving slightly more power.
Groundstrokes: PD because its just powerful and super spinny.
Volleys: Prestige dominated by far.
Spin: PD
Slice: Equal
Control: Prestige, PD has none.
Power: PD
Comfort: Both stiff, but Prestige is still more comfortable
Sweetspot: PD

If you add leather and grams of lead to the handle, the Prestige feels really nice.

luishcorreia
11-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Yes. Spin is the answer to success with the pure drive. 3 years ago I got a couple of Pure Drives. I had really bad top spin strokes and the racquet really made me go to the next level on spinning the ball.

I thing overall it's a great racquet. However the low tension range sugested in the frame (25-28kg / 55lbs - 63lbs) is the recomended tension for taking the maximum out of the grommet system. Roddick and other pros go way over that value. It's reported that Roddick strings at 65 lbs

http://www.babolat.com/english/tennis/tour/index.php?src=tennis

mark rodgers
11-28-2006, 09:16 AM
I hit mainly with an eastern gripped forehand and do not have any issues with keeping the ball in play using the PD standard even when I'm crushing the ball. I know that spin is definitely a needed attribute of using a PD but I think that the frame thickness in the head is very condusive to hitting with spin anyway. As long as you have decent stroke mechanics this racquet will give you plenty of spin. For me the deciding factor is string selection and tension. With the woofer grommet system, if you do not need the added power, you need to turn off the woofer by stringing the racquet at 60lbs or higher. Also I use a softer poly string. My choice right now is the Signum Pro Poly Megaforce. Babolat Hurricane is pretty good even though it's not one of the newer copoly strings. Because the PD has an open string pattern I wouldn't recommend anything thinner than 16 gauge. Also I'd to note that when I get a PD I want it to be one grip size too small. I take off the existing grip, add a heat shrink sleeve and regrip it. This add about a half ounce of weight. Add an overgrip and in the end the racquet weighs in at 11.8 (or so) ounces. I really like it.