PDA

View Full Version : Which company's racket grip sizes are correct then?

MonkeyMan123
11-22-2006, 11:03 AM
I know Babolats run around a whole grip size large, and Heads run a little small. What about prince and yonex? I dont want to buy the wrong grip size.
Do any of them have it right? I use 4 1/4 and when I got my aeropro it was definetly 4 3/8

thejackal
11-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Head just feels smaller because of the more rectangular shape.

Pushmaster
11-22-2006, 03:11 PM
I'd say Yonex runs (at least feels) about size smaller than say Wilson or Prince.

nalbandian_fan
11-22-2006, 03:40 PM
I'd say Yonex runs (at least feels) about size smaller than say Wilson or Prince.

that's because the yonex replacement grips are so tiny.

snoopy
11-22-2006, 05:50 PM
many say that Dunlop's grip size is pretty accurate.

Amone
11-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Either Prince's are tiny, or Volkl's are huge. Had an L4 Prince, then started using an L3 Volkl, and the Volkl's handle is comparitively larger.

hoosierbr
11-22-2006, 06:13 PM
The shape of the grip is what's essential. Yonex tends to run smaller as does Head because of their shapes. As a result Volkl and Babolat b/c of their shape might feel larger to some people. A Volkl 4 1/2 feels pretty large in my hand.

The more traditional shapes like Dunlop and Wilson are pretty size accurate.

tennis_hand
11-22-2006, 06:42 PM
I don't like the Head grip shape. it feels awkward.

AJK1
11-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Yeah, i agree, i'm changing my Head Racquets to a more Wilson shape handle.

rounick
11-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Prince.
Head : smaller
Babolat : bigger
Volkl : who cares..

snoflewis
11-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Prince.
Head : smaller
Babolat : bigger
Volkl : who cares..

that's how it FEELS.

when measured, all the other grips should be true to size (with the exception of babolat).

Redflea
11-23-2006, 08:45 PM
that's how it FEELS.

when measured, all the other grips should be true to size (with the exception of babolat).

And they mostly are, from what I've seen. This really is a feel issue as you note...the varied grip shapes make the grips feel larger or smaller than they "should be." So the subjective feel issue is real, and can be important, but doesn't imply that manufacturers label their grips incorrectly...

snoflewis
11-23-2006, 08:52 PM
And they mostly are, from what I've seen. This really is a feel issue as you note...the varied grip shapes make the grips feel larger or smaller than they "should be." So the subjective feel issue is real, and can be important, but doesn't imply that manufacturers label their grips incorrectly...

yeah...i don't disagree that htey feel different...because they do but physically, they're all the same

Swissv2
11-23-2006, 09:14 PM
meh

go with what you like :)

Ripper
11-24-2006, 05:04 AM
I know Babolats run around a whole grip size large, and Heads run a little small. What about prince and yonex? I dont want to buy the wrong grip size.
Do any of them have it right? I use 4 1/4 and when I got my aeropro it was definetly 4 3/8

Monkey Man, this is simple. You just need to take a flexible measuring tape (like the ones used by tailors) and measure around the grip to confirm if the diameter is really 4 1/8, 4 1/4, 4 3/8, 4 1/2 or 4 5/8. If I recall properly, the size specified by the raquet companies is (supposedly) the measurement of the diameter above the factory (replacement) grip. If you add an overgrip and/or replace the factory grip (with a thicker or thinner one), obviously, this measurement is going to be something else.

Edit: I doubt it that the raquet companies are aiming to be perfect about these measurements; they're just a kind of guide.

vinnier6
11-24-2006, 12:58 PM
I don't like the Head grip shape. it feels awkward.

i used to feel the same way and then i started playing with head and now prefer that more square feel better...