PDA

View Full Version : flexible vs stiff

Rams
11-22-2006, 12:19 PM
What are some benefits of using a flexible frame?

byealmeens
11-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Better spin, better comfort.... more control. All this depends on the frame, of course, but these (in general) tend to be some of those benefits.

Midlife crisis
11-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Better spin, better comfort.... more control. All this depends on the frame, of course, but these (in general) tend to be some of those benefits.

It depends on what you mean by "control". Directional control is reduced because the racquet can flex away from the impact point causing the trajectory to be mis-directed as well. Also with flexible racquets, mis-hitting a shot will cause the frame to flex more, twisting the stringbed and causing mis-direction of the shot.

Control is increased because flexible = less powerful, and so shots that go in an errant direction won't miss as much because they don't go as far.

paulfreda
11-22-2006, 07:13 PM
I would phrase it this way .....
You lose directional control due to the flex but
you gain depth control because the player's added force [for which he has conplete control] controls the depth rather than the power of the frame as with stiff frames.

chair ump
11-22-2006, 07:14 PM
flexy = baseliners

stiff = S&V

Choose accordingly.

bluescreen
11-22-2006, 07:32 PM
u simplified that way too much, chair ump. im a strict baseliner, but i use an n6.1 95, definately not a flexy frame. i really think its just a matter of preference.

Amone
11-22-2006, 07:38 PM
flexy = baseliners

stiff = S&V

Choose accordingly.

One word: Babolat.

ChicagoJack
11-22-2006, 08:07 PM
One word: Babolat.

Great point Amone, and two words to drive your point home from another direction.

[..]

Leander Paes

[..]

36 Pro doubles titles, $4.2 million in career prize money, and former world # 1 doubles player ( 1999 ) and plays with what most people think of as a "baseline racquet" a Babolat PD.

http://www.sportspad.org/images/_leander_paes.jpg
http://www.indianfootball.com/theindernet/artikel/tennis/ausop2003_02.jpg
http://www.masters-cup.com/Global/Styles/TMC/photos/200x250/paes_zimonjic.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/57/176166413_1954b9dd21_m.jpg

-Jack

superstition
11-22-2006, 10:14 PM
He has an index finger injury right now.

Amone
11-23-2006, 07:01 AM
I mean, I don't really see how the original point held... When was Serve-and-Volley most popular? In the days of highly, highly flexible frames. Odd!

movdqa
11-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Someone forgot to tell Sampras that flexible frames are for baseliners.

Lindros13
11-23-2006, 10:58 AM

Exactly - well stated (about Sampras)! These comments are sometimes a bit ridiculous.

Rabbit
11-23-2006, 11:25 AM
I mean, I don't really see how the original point held... When was Serve-and-Volley most popular? In the days of highly, highly flexible frames. Odd!

S/V was popular when it was percentage tennis, the days of wood. Then it was safer to be at net because you had a greater percentage of winning the point. Passing shots were more difficult.

I don't flex has anything to do with game style. The flex of a racket is personal preference.

Dunlop 200G
John McEnroe - S/V
Steff Graf - baseliner

Wilson ProStaff
Chris Evert - baseliner
Stefan Edberg - S/V
Jim Courier - baseliner
Pete Sampras S/V

paulfreda
11-23-2006, 04:45 PM

I thought Pete played with a flexy frame too. But .....

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-60.html

A 66 stiffness rating is not what anyone would call
flexible when there are lots of sub 60 frames out there.

Hmmmm .... I am a bit confused especially since Pete strung
his frames at 70+ pounds.

ericsson
11-24-2006, 12:26 AM

actually its a little more complicated then that, his frame is very modified which results also in a more flexible frame, look here, specs from one of his frames (by Greg R.)

Racquet Mass Bal. cm RDC Flex Swgwt
Pete's St. Vincent 384 32.1 62 367
Pro Staff MS (not St. Vincent) 343 33.2 66 334
Pro Staff 6.0 Midsize 85 357 31 64 314

As you can see its not that stiff no more, when you highly customize, the specs are changing espeically when you add that kinda mass like pete did.

Ripper
11-24-2006, 05:30 AM
If you think about it, a stiffer raquet should have better directional control than a flexier one, because of what's already been explained above. However, if you think about it some more, this is not necessarily true. If you get really familiar with a particular model of raquet, it doesn't really matter how or how much it flexes, because your brain will be correctly adjusted to directing the ball where you want it to go (obviously, I'm talking about clean hits). In other words, you'll compensate for the flex. So, I guess what I 'm saying is that, if you're an experienced player and of the kind that sticks to one model in particular (like pros tend to do), you'll have as good directional control as you would have had you bean using a stiffer raquet instead. Nevertheless, if you are an unexperienced player or the kind that's, constantly, changing models, you'll get better performance from a stiffer raquet.

Edit: I just re-read this and I'm not sure I explained myself... I hope I did :)

bad_call
11-24-2006, 06:47 AM
to add to this - flexible maybe easier on the arm. but u don't want to play with a noodle either. :)

sypl
11-24-2006, 09:23 AM
He has an index finger injury right now.

It's because his racquet is not flexible enough! Stiff racquets are punishing on index fingers! :p

jonolau
11-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Racquets with wider beams are stiffer at the hoop. These are also the racquets with inherently more power and less control.

Thinner beam racquets are more flexible at the hoop and would have less power and more control. These racquets are more suited to players with good technique and can generate their own power.

Then there are thinner beamed racquets that are stiffer due to the construction and design (eg. Babolat PD Team). These racquets are in another league of their own requiring the player to be able to generate lots of their own power with a high swing speed.

Just my personal view.

BreakPoint
11-24-2006, 11:16 PM
When the PS 6.0 85 first came out, it was one of the stiffest racquets available on the market, especially when compared to other popular racquets of its era, such as the Max200G and Prestige. I used the Max200G during that era and I could not imagine using a PS 6.0 85 as it was twice as stiff as the Max200G and much too stiff for me (then). It is now only considered flexible as compared to most of the modern super stiff racquets on the market. Really ironic to think that what was once one of the stiffest racquets on the market is now one of the most flexible. That how ridiculously stiff racquets have gotten over the years. :sad:

BreakPoint
11-24-2006, 11:26 PM

The PS 6.0 85 may be rated at 66 for stiffness, but it plays more like 62 or lower. The PS 6.0 95 is rated even higher at 67 but it plays even lower at 61 or lower.

You might want to check this post and thread for more info: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1077836&postcount=20

joeyscl
11-25-2006, 12:23 AM
flexy racquets feel REALLY NICE (to me)....that's why i loooove hitting with my nBlade

paulfreda
11-25-2006, 02:51 AM
True that flexy frames feel good.
But I have found there is a limit.
I bought a Fischer MSpeed Pro 105 and it is rated at about 56.
Very flexy.
It plays very comfortable but also very heavy as the ball stays on the strings so long it feels like work to swing thru. What is worse, since it is so heavy a frame, one cannot add lead to adjust the setup. Very frustrating.
Anyone in Thailand want a good deal on a Fischer frame ?
Just kidding in the last line.
I only know of Anirut here in LOS and he likes Vokyls.

paulfreda
11-25-2006, 02:57 AM
Breakpoint .... thanks for the link.

I absolutely love my 6095 and now I can see why.
Hit with it today after a string broke in my ncode6195 [which I love too].

puerta
11-25-2006, 09:27 PM
for me stiff is better, because have more power, more control direction, and I like stiff sensation of my pure control

chair ump
11-26-2006, 07:20 AM
I have played with flexy frames for a while, but lately I've been tinkering around with a stiffer racquet and liking the results. I find the stiffer racquets to be a more potent blend of directional power from the baseline and especially at net!