PDA

View Full Version : Serving with the Tour 90

EricW
11-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Does anyone have any opinions on this? My server used to me good but I think it was too abbreviated (too short of a swing) which I can't get away with on this racquet (which is much heavier than my other one).

My question is, how good of a serve can this racquet perform? Is it my technique or does it serve worse than other racquets? I think it may be my technique as I've served a few bigs ones with it but not often and not as fast as my lighter racquet, and nothing compared to my PD roddick

I'm asking cuz my serve used to be one of my strong points, but after I got my new racquet I didn't serve for like 5 straight times I played, just groundstrokes, which are great with this racquet. But yesterday when I tried serving I couldn't hit it well to save my life

Vitaly Evchenkov
11-22-2006, 01:05 PM
The best server I know uses the old Tour 90.
He went to USTA nationals playing doubles, but I think he
is a better singles player. The guy is only about 5'8" and stocky
so he doesn't look like a tennis machine.. but he is.

His serve is so heavy and has so much kick, it feels like
it might go right through your strings... if you get a racquet on it.

If you can handle the weight of that log, it is amazing, but most
non-pros would be better off using something lighter.
my .02

alan-n
11-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Yes you have to have a long loose swing to serve with the tour 90. Roddick type swings don't work with it. You don't need to have a deep knee bend with this one, just a good knee bend, shoulder/torso turn and a loose whipping arm action.

I've played with 6.1 95s including the NCode for a short time Babalot PDs, leaded PS 6.0 85s. If you can't serve with as much pace with the tour 90 as any other racquet, its definately lack of technique, loose swing thats holding you back. I find the tour 90 to have the best combination of pace spin and ease of placement in "stock" racquet as I could find. Some are better at flat serves (ps 85) some at kick serves (6.1 95 16x18). Not many felt as good with all of them as the tour 90 does. If anything serving with mid sized racquets may reveal flaws in your technique, but they shouldn't lack anything in the serve department.

jackson vile
11-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Does anyone have any opinions on this? My server used to me good but I think it was too abbreviated (too short of a swing) which I can't get away with on this racquet (which is much heavier than my other one).

My question is, how good of a serve can this racquet perform? Is it my technique or does it serve worse than other racquets? I think it may be my technique as I've served a few bigs ones with it but not often and not as fast as my lighter racquet, and nothing compared to my PD roddick

I'm asking cuz my serve used to be one of my strong points, but after I got my new racquet I didn't serve for like 5 straight times I played, just groundstrokes, which are great with this racquet. But yesterday when I tried serving I couldn't hit it well to save my life

One thing you may want to try is stringing loser

Next you need to learn to make a full racket drop, the arm should be extremely lose so that you are throwing the racket at the ball not pushing the racket through the ball