PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean Island Vacation Recommendation

Z-Man
11-22-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm hoping the TW community can give me some good recommendations for a Caribbean island vacation destination. It would be nice to play some tennis while I'm there, but I'm more looking for a really beautiful place with delux accomodations. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Z-Man
11-25-2006, 05:04 AM
Virgin Gorda? Petit St. Vincent? Barbados? Little Dix Bay? Caneel Bay?

nyc
11-25-2006, 08:20 AM
I highly recommend the Carlisle Bay on Antigua. (www.carlisle-bay.com)

Outstanding place, with 10 courts on a beautiful beach. Spent a week there in October 2005 and absolutely loved it. Superb service and incredibly relaxing.

Redflea
11-29-2006, 06:23 PM
I highly recommend the Carlisle Bay on Antigua. (www.carlisle-bay.com)

Outstanding place, with 10 courts on a beautiful beach. Spent a week there in October 2005 and absolutely loved it. Superb service and incredibly relaxing.

Looks beautiful, but man, steep! The suites start at over $700 a night!

http://www.carlisle-bay.com/antigua/home/book_now/reservation.html

I hope you paid w/green stamps or something.... ;)

Redflea
11-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Virgin Gorda? Petit St. Vincent? Barbados? Little Dix Bay? Caneel Bay?

Is there really a place called the fat virgin? That just doesn't seem very nice...

whodey
11-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Is there really a place called the fat virgin? That just doesn't seem very nice...

yeah, I was on a caribbean cruise this past summer and took a short excursion to Virgin Gorda. Its one of the most beautiful places in the caribbean. Ive heard the snorkeling is incredible.

RMB
11-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Puerto Rico is the place! A beautiful island in the Caribbean that belongs to the US (has the advantage of the US currency). Lots of hotels with beautiful beaches and equipped by plenty of tennis courts. I suggest Wyndham El Conquistador Resort. It has concrete and clay courts and a private island with a beautiful beach that can only be reach by boat. The trip to the private island is about 15 min. and the transportation is free and provided by the hotel.
Site:
www. elconresort . com

You can also try:
www. gotopuertorico . com
www. puerto-rico-tourism. com
www. meetpuertorico . com

Hope this helps!

nyc
11-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Looks beautiful, but man, steep! The suites start at over $700 a night!

http://www.carlisle-bay.com/antigua/home/book_now/reservation.html

I hope you paid w/green stamps or something.... ;)

Well, he did ask for DELUXE accomodations :)

I went there on my honeymoon, so nothing's too deluxe ;)

Z-Man
11-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Carlisle bay looks great! I'd like to take my wife some place really nice this spring before we have another child. I've been sailing in the Grenadines a few times and would love to go back, but I think it's too hard to get down there. You can do research on the internet, but nothing beats a good recommendation!

LuckyR
12-01-2006, 11:11 AM
My Carribean experience is less than some, but I'll pass along my experience.

Firstly, they are exotic enough locales for me that playing tennis, which is ordinarily the most fun I have with my clothes on, is really not that important to me.

Secondly, I can vouch for the islands of: St John and Grenada as being very fun especially if you don't need a lot of infrastructure (clubs, discos, resorty type places). The British Virgins (Tortola, Virgin Gorda etc) are especially known for their sailing and the smaller islands in the chain (we went to Mosquito Island, which is named for the Mosqite Indians, not the bug) like Peter Island and so forth are the very cream of the crop in get-aways. I believe Richard Branson (of Virgin Atlantic fame) owns the next island over from Mosquito Island, which is where Diana typically stayed etc.