PDA

View Full Version : Hack job?

timmins
11-22-2006, 08:03 PM
I went into a tennis shop yesterday and I had some lead tape added to my racquet. I'm definately a novice to this but when I asked them about preserving the balance point, a stupid look came to their faces. I picked up the racquet today, and they had simply added equal weight the 3 and 9 and in the throat area, the racquet definately feels different.

Did they do a hack job?

Thanks

BTW it's an RDS-001 MP

AJK1
11-22-2006, 09:38 PM
They certainly didn't preserve the balance point, it will be more head heavy now. But the RDS 001 MP in stock form is very head light, so it might play alright now. Try it and see!

timmins
11-22-2006, 10:22 PM
I did try it, and I didn't like it. I'll give it a bit more time. but I think I'll be taking off the tape.

I am looking to increase the weight of the racquet overall but keep the balance point because I was really starting to feal it. could anyone direct me to any guides with formulas that show me how to do this?

Thanks

tennisguy2121
11-22-2006, 10:39 PM
well if you dont want to change the balance, take the lead tape off of the head, leave it on the throat.

Davai
11-22-2006, 10:40 PM
What did you want them to do? Your description of what you wanted also puzzles me so maybe you want to gather more information and then we can give you some suggesstions. BTW IMO the added HH balance, yet overall HL is going to make the groundstrokes more solid for you, however you are going to need more time on the serve.

timmins
11-22-2006, 11:57 PM
I did practice with it for a while and davai you're definately right about the serving, for the first time in years my shoulder actually started to hurt.

Serving was terrible, It seemed like I just couldn't generate the usual headspeed and I couldn't get that kick. It's almost like I plowed right through the ball without the feedback.

I didn't notice a difference in groundstrokes because I had no partner.

Do you think if I put a couple videos of my serve online, you guys would be able to give me a couple tps and hints?

Thanks

AndrewD
11-23-2006, 12:35 AM
timmins,

Here's a link to Tennis Warehouse's 'Learning Centre'. Have a read and you should be able to fix the racquet yourself.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

diredesire
11-23-2006, 12:37 AM
The best solution with only retaining the balance point is to put the weight near the balance point, namely, in the throat. Assuming they didn't counter balance on the buttcap or under the grip, i'd call it a bit of a hack job, but at least they didn't put it at 12 o'clock.

vinnier6
11-23-2006, 06:50 AM
adding lead tape is something you need to be doing yourself...you are the only one who is going to beable to tell if its too much lead or not enought or how it affects your racquet by placing the lead in other parts of your stick...

dont rely on others to make your customizations....