PDA

View Full Version : Feeling the Bevels

chrisphillips
08-13-2004, 06:43 AM
What is the best way to enhance the feel of the bevels? I am wheelchair tennis player and sometimes I find it difficult to switch my grip while pushing the chair. Thus, I think that if my bevels were more pronounced I would be able to find my proper grip quicker and easier. By the way, I use a prince diablo mp. Thanks for any suggestions.

Eug
08-13-2004, 07:02 AM
Chris, do you use an overgrip? Maybe its too thick. Another thing you can do is to take off the original grip and put 2 overgrips in its place. That will definitely make you feel the bevels. Pros do that.

NoBadMojo
08-13-2004, 07:26 AM
try a leather grip..you can feel the bevels better w. leather...if too slippery, you can use a thin overgrip overtop and still feel the bevels better than you can w. a synthetic cushion grip. be aware tho that it will make your racquet feel a little more headlight and also more shock will be transmitted along w. feel. hope this helps. ed

ffrpg
08-13-2004, 07:27 AM
I'd also recommend using two overgrips. On my racquet, I used tournagrip as my first layer and Yonex SG as my second. It feels pretty good and it doesn't give my hands blisters or anything like that.

mgm
08-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Nice stick i love the bevels on the Prince Diablo racquets mid and mid plus Try a larger grip size.Lets say you play with a 4 1/2 grip, go up to a 4 5/8 and just use a single overgrip, it will feel like a 4 1/2 and you will feel the bevels more.It works for me.

Steve Huff
08-13-2004, 10:27 PM
If you don't mind the grip getting a tiny bit larger, here's a good way (which I use a similar method to build up grips in a way that you can still feel the bevels). Get some racket head protection tape-it's about the right thickness. Remove the grip. Measure off 3 pieces the length of the handle. With the first one, cut it in half length-wise. All you have to do is cut a little snip at one end and it will tear in a straight line. Add these to the top and bottom and bottom bevels. With the other 2, measure the width of the side bevels (the wider bevels). Cut each of the pieces of tape the width of the side bevels and add them too. Now, the edges are built up a little for a more pronounced feel. Add the grip back. If the grip is too large now, use an overgrip or 2 in place of the grip.

By the way, where do you play. I used to play with a couple of guys in Tulsa.

NoBadMojo
08-14-2004, 07:44 AM
would caution against using just an overgrip unless you make sweetspot contact all the time. if you're using a stiff frame and remove that cushioned grip, your arm/wrist/elbow/shoulder is gonna have to absorb the shock that the grip would have otherwise. unless you hit the sweetspot all the time. my .02. ed

papa
08-14-2004, 05:48 PM
I think you'll find that using leather will make the bevels LESS pronounced. I've removed the leather handles from my POSs and can feel the bevels much better.

If you have trouble finding the right grip consider using a product called "wonder wedge" - I think thats what they call it. Its simply placed on the handle and held in place by the grip wrap. I have no idea how much it cost but I would imagine its in the ten dollar range. I supose you could fashion a similar device out of a popsicle stick or similar small (thin) piece of wood or plastic. Put one on one of the "flats" to give you a reference point - might be something you might want to check out.

I've hit with some wheelchair tennis players and I admire their courage and ability to cover the court. If you see one of these guys out on a court practicing serves go hit with them - you will be amazed.

NoBadMojo
08-14-2004, 06:23 PM
papa that simply isnt true. you can feel the bevels alot more w. a leather grip than you can w. a synthetic/cushion grip that comes on many racquets. of course you can feel the bevels the most w. no grip at all. as for the wonder wedge that may not be legal for sanctioned events. maybe it is, maybe it isnt, but that would prob be best investigated before playing a sanctioned event. ed

K!ck5w3rvE
08-14-2004, 06:55 PM
Use an overgrip, and then gauze over the top. If thats too thin, use a leather gripo and then gauze.

papa
08-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Well, from what I know, the "wonder wedge" is legal but your right, it should be checked out - I've never used one but I have seen others use them. I don't think there are any rules/regulations relating to the handle - my opinion is that something like the "wonder wedge" is considered a fixed part of the handle. They probably have a web page which would provide much more information than I have.

The leather grip seems (to me anyway) thicker and rounds the bevel edges - again that was my experience with my POG racquets. Overgrips are much thinner than many of the "cushioned" grips on the market and when used instead of leather or cushioned grip, the corners of the bevels seem more pronounced.

Having hit with several wheel chair players I know that they face a special problem in having to let go of the racquet and then quickly find the proper grip again.