PDA

View Full Version : Reducing grip size

rounick
11-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Any takes?From a 5 to a 4..

Venetian
11-22-2006, 09:32 PM
There are a few places that can customize grip shapes and sizes for you. I believe it will cost around $30-$50 per racquet. I looked into it myself last year. I think Bosworth will do it, and one or two other less expensive places I can't remember. It's probably worth doing if it means enough to you. It's less expensive than buying new racquets.

Venetian
11-22-2006, 09:35 PM
http://www.racquetmaxx.com/pricing.shtml

http://www.sandiars.com/customizing.htm

ionutzakis
11-22-2006, 10:52 PM
just color the pallets and sand down the foam with a very very fine sandpaper until you don't see the color. it's very easy to do, I already done it with 4 of my racquets. I measured all the sides with calipers at the end and on the whole there is not a difference bigger than 1mm between sides, barely noticeable.

the weight difference was in the range of 3-5 grams in terms of foam removed, easy to fix with some thin lead tape.

It took me 1 h per racquet to do it.

I'm so glad I've not sold those racquets, they were a POG MP, POG LB, PS 85 and a Dunlop 200 2006 plus in 4 1/2 size trimmed down to 4 3/8, fixed them up nicely now with new smaller buttcaps.

Now I started to sand down just a little on all racquets the 2 sides of the handle where the two pallets of each racquet are connected, where there is a slight bump in the foam along the lenght of the pallets, to even them on all sides.

sypl
11-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Ok, let's get technical!

What did you use to colour the pallet? A crayon? Lead pencil? Potato print?

And I think it's most definitely the buttcap that's going to remain the biggest problem even if I manage to sand it down okay. Where did you get smaller buttcaps? I have a feeling it's not gonna be possible to get new buttcaps for my racket...

ionutzakis
11-23-2006, 10:34 PM
1) first remove the buttcap
2) use color markers (not permanent)
3) sand the pallets, leave just a little more foam where the buttcap should be, this way you don't have to staple it to the handle
4) fit the the new smaller buttcap (you can get them from tennis-warehouse or from an older racquet, same brand)
5) add 3-5g of thin lead tape along the lenght of the pallets
6) you're ready to go

p.s. you ca use calipers at the end to check the sides, but If you use a very fine sandpaper there shouldn't be a difference bigger than 1mm