PDA

View Full Version : I've never done this but....

Duzza
11-23-2006, 03:33 AM
I have a 4 3/8 Prostaff 85. Came with a Wilson Sponge or something grip and I put an overgrip on. If I remove it all and put a leather will it decrease size a bit? I'm hoping it will..

anirut
11-23-2006, 04:07 AM
May not be that much to your satisfaction. May be you could try looking for the thinnest possible leather grip.

The thing is leather is quite heavy compared to the sponge thing, probably like the sponge + an overgrip, and this will make the racket slightly more HL.

Or you could try for a cheapo Yonex replacement grip. This is pretty thin about 1.2 mm only. Then you can still put an overgrip on it.

Duzza
11-23-2006, 04:11 AM
May not be that much to your satisfaction. May be you could try looking for the thinnest possible leather grip.

The thing is leather is quite heavy compared to the sponge thing, probably like the sponge + an overgrip, and this will make the racket slightly more HL.

Or you could try for a cheapo Yonex replacement grip. This is pretty thin about 1.2 mm only. Then you can still put an overgrip on it.

Thanks Anirut, I know about the change in balance and all, but the 3/8 wilson feels like a 5/8 yonex! Really annoying....I'm getting 3 Head Calfskins, so I'll use one of them. Don't know much about their thinness. I don't want a synthetic replacement so the Yonex idea is out.

AndrewD
11-23-2006, 07:17 AM
It does depend on which leather you use. I've found that the ones Prince have on their POG are quite slim whereas Babolat leather grips tend to be as large as the thicker synthetics.

Given that you've got leather grips on your old POGs, you could take one of those off and see if it makes much of a difference to the Wilson. As they're older and more worn (even if they've had overgrips on them) they should be a bit slimmer than the new ones you're getting (any new grip will feel a bit thicker as it hasn't had time to compact).