PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on "Miscellaneous Stringing Tools and Equipment" Page?

varuscelli
11-23-2006, 06:44 AM
I've been working on a page with photos/images of various stringing-related equipment and tools and have uploaded a BUNCH of tool photos there (so far, maybe 75 or so various tools and accessories).

Photos of Miscellaneous Equipment, Tools and Accessories Related to Tennis Racquet Stringing Machines (http://www.photostringer.com/misc_equipment_tools.htm)

or

http://www.photostringer.com/misc_equipment_tools.htm

I'd like to see if I can get a bit of feedback on the accuracy of my labeling, missing tools, or images that are on the page but perhaps should not be (as well as my "groupings" of photos/images). If I've really fouled something up or included something unhelpful or even laughable on the page, let me know.

You can either post feedback here or e-mail me directly.

(Contributions to the site have been coming in at fantastic rate. I can barely keep up, and a lot images are in the queue. You contributors know who you are, and I'm doing my best to put credit where it is due on the site. I'll likely have to do a "Contributors" page at some point to sort of consolidate names.)

Thanks! :)

Al Ruscelli
www.photostringer.com (http://www.photostringer.com)
vruscelli@houston.rr.com

mellofelow
11-23-2006, 07:58 AM
Happy Thanksgiving Al.

You're working way too hard on a holiday.

By the way, another AWESOME page. I never knew some of those testing equipment exist.

Oh.. you forgot one of the most used equipment in stringing....
Nail Clipper.... LOL

cheers and we thank you!!! well done!

varuscelli
11-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Happy Thanksgiving Al.

You're working way too hard on a holiday.

By the way, another AWESOME page. I never knew some of those testing equipment exist.

Oh.. you forgot one of the most used equipment in stringing....
Nail Clipper.... LOL

cheers and we thank you!!! well done!

Thanks, mellofelow... :)

We have a HUGE meal in the making and I'm burning a few pre-meal calories via website development (I know, it's a stretch).

Yeah, I keep hearing people mention nail clippers, so why not? I'll add 'em.

People have also mentioned magnifying glasses in a couple of thread I read...hmmm...

As a photographer, I prefer a loupe. :)

theace21
11-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Burning those calories, I have to try that one the wife. Great Idea, Great Job, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

jonolau
11-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Excellent page, Al!

You can also add in a grommet flaring tool, called Flare-It (R), which flares and re-shapes grommets.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d183/jonolau/flareit.jpg

How about a Digital Weiging Scale. Very handy for balancing racquets.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d183/jonolau/MF3buttweight2.jpg

Redflea
11-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Very cool! Almost more interesting than looking at the stringing machines...

Thanks!

varuscelli
11-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Excellent page, Al!

You can also add in a grommet flaring tool, called Flare-It (R), which flares and re-shapes grommets.

Good suggestions! I'll add 'em.

varuscelli
11-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Very cool! Almost more interesting than looking at the stringing machines...

Thanks!

Yeah, kind of neat. For people with more experience, a lot of that stuff is probably pretty run-of-the-mill. But what I feel I need to do on a few of the pages on the site is to put myself in the position of ... well ... myself. :)

Meaning that I've got to break some of the aspects of the site down to the most basic elements to go along with the high end. But with me, even some of the basic elements are more or less invisible since I don't really know what to look for, in some ways. So I'll grab on to (or ask for) whatever I can and ask others with more experience help me separate the good from the bad.

You ever see a visual dictionary for adults, like the kinds they have for kids? That's what some of the pages on this site will end up being. Where someone can look at a picture and and say, "Oh, that's what they're talking about," on some very elemental levels (whether we're talking about a mechanical component or something as simple as an awl).

Well...that's part of it, anyway. I want the site to be of value and interest at as many levels as I can, so we'll see what happens in the long run.

Redflea
11-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Pretty soon you'll have something worth charging admission for...

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving (aside from playing w/the site). :D

varuscelli
11-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Pretty soon you'll have something worth charging admission for...

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving (aside from playing w/the site). :D

I probably gained five pounds today just eating (well, I feel like that, anyway).

I'll try to surf it off tonight. :p

varuscelli
11-23-2006, 07:13 PM

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d183/jonolau/MF3buttweight2.jpg

Hey, Jon, is that a photo you took of the scale? If so, may I borrow it for the site?

jonolau
11-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Sure thing, Al. Do you want me to take another picture instead, this time without the ruler and BluTack?

PBODY99
11-24-2006, 05:29 AM
Great work. A minor point, two of the pictures<3rd & 5th left to right> that are labeled parallel jawed pliers are also cam action. The CAM is the rounded outer part that allows you to lever the string against the frame.

varuscelli
11-24-2006, 06:50 AM
Sure thing, Al. Do you want me to take another picture instead, this time without the ruler and BluTack?

That'd be great, if you have the time and inclination... :)

And if wish, you could try placing it by a window (daytime, of course) and likely cut off the flash and not get any flashback from the metal. I can always grab some generic stock images from the Internet, but prefer to use "real" people's shots if I can.

I've got a small scale something like that, too, that I (among other things) weigh racquets with, and it goes in 2 gram increments on the low end (nice to have) and up to something like 16 kilograms (but in larger increments the higher the weight). Handy tools.

Thanks, Jon.

varuscelli
11-24-2006, 06:56 AM
Great work. A minor point, two of the pictures<3rd & 5th left to right> that are labeled parallel jawed pliers are also cam action. The CAM is the rounded outer part that allows you to lever the string against the frame.

Good catch!

I likely went very much to the overkill side on those types of pliers, since I wanted to show that you can actually have a tool that has a variety of different looks but can still be use for the same basic purposes. You think I should get rid of those two or just place them with the other cam action pliers? Or are the cam action pliers necessary at all? I could get rid of them all, or put the three together, but want to make sure whether those are a good thing to show or whether they doesn't belong at all.

What do you think? Keep 'em? Get rid of 'em? Put them all three together?

Thanks!

diredesire
11-24-2006, 09:51 AM
cam action pliers are very hard to find, but i love them. The parallels i have are really sharp-toothed, and bite through string :(

varuscelli
11-24-2006, 10:25 AM
cam action pliers are very hard to find, but i love them. The parallels i have are really sharp-toothed, and bite through string :(

As I was looking around, I saw some of the parallels that actually had hard plastic/hard rubber tips instead of bare metal. I wonder if those would be not as likely to cut string and still hold well. (I'm guessing they would be good, but that's just a guess.) I'll maybe post another sample of those with the hard plastic coated jaws, too. Any thoughts on that?

This is one that I posted on the site as a kind of generic example, but it's an older tool.

http://www.photostringer.com/images/parallel_jaw_pliers_05.jpg

varuscelli
11-24-2006, 10:54 AM

I've seen a small variety of plastic jawed pliers like this, but I don't know about overall durability. They're typically used for jewelry wire and such. Don't know if they'd hold up the the kinds of pressure and stress of racquet stringing. Size-wise, they're like a small pair of needle nose pliers.

http://wire-sculpture.com/cgiimages/G2-35.jpg

jonolau
11-24-2006, 04:14 PM

Quite a number of stringers here use cam action pliers. I can get them to order one for me (German made) which will cost US$80. :-(

I'm just wondering if it's really worth the cost?

diredesire
11-24-2006, 09:03 PM
depends on the design, i would guess. We have a set here that aren't spring loaded or anything, but they have a relatively smooth, but "etched" gripping surface. Really gentle on the string, and it has the extra "lump" that you can use to rest against the frame for a little leverage. I really like those. I have pliers that are on the GSS site, and they are rough on the string. They bite through co-polys, so I stopped using them.

varuscelli
11-24-2006, 09:09 PM
depends on the design, i would guess. We have a set here that aren't spring loaded or anything, but they have a relatively smooth, but "etched" gripping surface. Really gentle on the string, and it has the extra "lump" that you can use to rest against the frame for a little leverage. I really like those. I have pliers that are on the GSS site, and they are rough on the string. They bite through co-polys, so I stopped using them.

Any chance you could send a photo of the ones you like sometime in the next few days or or next couple of weeks or so (at your convenience)? It would be nice to see what an experienced stringer prefers.

diredesire
11-25-2006, 02:25 AM
Any chance you could send a photo of the ones you like sometime in the next few days or or next couple of weeks or so (at your convenience)? It would be nice to see what an experienced stringer prefers.

Sure, it's in a pretty crappy condition, though ;)