PDA

View Full Version : O3 Tour MP vs Dunlop M-Fil 200 2006

TeNNiS_SPieLeR
11-23-2006, 03:53 PM
I know these racquets aren't the most similar, but I'm going to buy one or the other. Just wondering if anyone can say what they like/dislike about each.
My Opinion:
Most maneuverable: Prince
Most Control: Dunlop
Most Power:Prince(hard to control though)
Best Serve:Prince
Best Spin:Prince
Consistency/Sweet Spot:Prince
Feel: Dunlop
Comfort: Prince

bcsax123
11-23-2006, 07:16 PM
To control most Prince racquets, you will need heavy spin. On Prince racquets, you need spin to control the ball because of thier open string patterns.

How about a O3 Tour Mid? It would help control.

TeNNiS_SPieLeR
11-23-2006, 07:35 PM
I don't know if I'm ready for a 95in headsize yet...plus I don't know if I need a heavier racquet...but I have thought about it, primarily because of it's tighter string pattern

snoflewis
11-23-2006, 09:24 PM
I know these racquets aren't the most similar, but I'm going to buy one or the other. Just wondering if anyone can say what they like/dislike about each.
My Opinion:
Most maneuverable: Prince
Most Control: Dunlop
Most Power:Prince(hard to control though)
Best Serve:Prince
Best Spin:Prince
Consistency/Sweet Spot:Prince
Feel: Dunlop
Comfort: Prince

i actually disagree with you on a few major things. i've had the chance to demo the dunlop mfil200 2006 because i was considering it...big mistake

manueverability: dunlop - this isn't merely a numbers game, but the dunlop swings and handles way lighter than the prince...that's from my experience with quite a lot of player's frames on the market today. the dunlop just wasn't ideal for me. it didnt allow me to produce enough racket headspeed from the baseline so my balls weren't heavy or going deep at all.

control: dunlop - i feel that the 03 tech really affects control and im not the only one that feels this way. the worst experience for me was the 03HT...worst new racket i've tried to date.

power: prince - the dunlop had no stability and because of it's low SW, it was really hard to generate racket head speed with. the prince on the other hand had a pretty good swingweight for me, but still swung a little lighter than it's specified SW due to the aerodynamic frame design. i didnt feel that the power was hard to control at all (definitely not as much as the 03HT). i just felt it was harder to place balls precisely, especially on heavier shots

serve: prince - neither racket is especially good for serves...but the 03 tour takes the edge because i found the mfil200 2006 impossible to produce good racket headspeed. and the 03 tech helps w/ the extra spin on the 2nd serves

spin: prince - 03 tech helps w/ this and it's got a rounder head design unlike dunlops longer headshape. not to mention, the SW and racket head speed issue again.

consistency/sweetspot: prince - 03 tech really works and helps those who can't hit the sweetspot consistently...dunlop on the other hand feels like it's gonna snap off on off centered shots...incredibly hollow feeling on most shots

feel: prince - i know people say that the 03 racket has a muted feel...but personally, i prefer a muted feel rather than a hollow, unstable, tinny feel (i actually don't prefer both :)). the 03 feels pretty solid unlike the dunlop... the dunlop was a huge disappointment for me. it just didnt feel good in the sweetspot and didnt not feel solid at all.

comfort: prince - i guess this has a lot to do w/ teh feel...but 03 is definitely softer and more forgiving than the dunlop.

overall: prince - i just didnt like the dunlop at all. although im not much a big fan of the 03 tour MP either, i feel it is a way better racket than the dunlop mfil200 2006.

personally, i would try a few more rackets before making a final decision because there could always be another racket that you might like even more than the dunlop or prince

FD3S
11-23-2006, 09:43 PM
The O3 with the right string, hard grommets, and lead tape addresses a lot of those issues pretty well...

Redflea
11-23-2006, 10:37 PM
I like a more muted feel, but the Prince has a remote, distant feel...like you're not really sure what you're doing to the ball when you hit it. I would not recommend it to someone who wants a lot of feedback from their racquet.

Radical
11-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Redflea, referring to your previous reply, do you mean Dunlop 200 2006 offering you a muted feel?

I got the muted feel from o3 Tour MP as Redflea did which I don't look for. On the contrary, I like the feel of Dunlop 300G MP which is crisp and solid although it is pretty light. As it has been discontinued, I search another one to replace it with more hefty and Dunlop 200 2006 is my target. If anybody likes 300G and have tried 2006, do you think the latter is the appropriate substitution of the former? Thanks for your opinion in advance.

hoosierbr
11-23-2006, 11:38 PM
I hit with both frames and didn't care for the Prince O3 Tour MP at all. Felt sluggish. No touch/feel, spotty control and not good for serving.

I have to disagree about the Dunlop being hard to generate racket head speed. It's light(er) at 11.4 oz, is quite headlight and has a low sw. That for me has always translated to easy speed generation. It was, however, too light. Serves had little bite as did groundstrokes but a little lead or a leather grip could correct that.

AndrewD
11-24-2006, 06:38 AM
TeNNiS_SPieLeR,

Why, given how different the two racquets are, have you narrowed your choices down to those two?

Personally, I don't mind the 03 Tour MP and have had no trouble with it on serve (manage to get good power, spin and control). However, I am told that I'm in the minority on that one. Control is another one where I seem to be at odds with most folk. While flat shots did tend to fly a bit (I dont think many 100sq frames are well-suited to flat hitting), slice and topspin shots had good directional control. Volleys, which you didn't mention, were also very good.

The 03 Tour MP is actually one frame where I find myself in almost complete agreement with the TW review, although I would have rated it higher for comfort.

The Dunlop I also liked but, for me, there was something missing that I couldn't quite put my finger on. It wasn't merely weight but a solid kind of feel that I found lacking (I felt that the lighter MFil-300 had a more solid feel than the 2006). I found good spin, sufficient power and racquet head speed easy to generate. However, it seemed to dish up a very 'light weight' ball and I was left wishing that the MFil-200 (95sq) came in a 16x19, instead of an 18x20 string pattern.

TeNNiS_SPieLeR
11-24-2006, 07:00 AM
I've demoed Wilsons, other O3s, a Fischer, and a babolat, but none of those worked really well for me. I'm looking for a forgiving racquet(sweet spot) that gives spin when I need spin, power when I need power, and control on both of those shots. I also want my racquet to volley well, serve well, and be maneuverable. I'm looking for a mid 11oz frame that is headlight, around 100in head. This is what I narrowed my choices too. I liked the AeroPro Drive, but I didn't like it's small sweetspot. If anyone has anymore racquet suggestions, please state them in this post. Keep in mind I might be playing doubles next year for my school.

Redflea
11-24-2006, 07:30 AM
Did you consider the Yonex RDS 001 MP...a little heavier at 11.7, but 8 pts head light. RDX MP (similar specs).

The Volkl DNX 9 MP is 11.5 oz, 6pts head light, worth considering...really liked how it felt when I demo'd it. Appears to be in the sweet spot of your specs.

Between the M-Fil 300 and 200 2006, the 300 would be a better stick for doubles IMHO...volleys really well, more even balance (3pts head light) gives it a solid feel on groundies that is surprising for its 10.9oz weight, very easy to swing. Also lots of room for customization.

ksm
11-24-2006, 08:51 AM
Redflea, referring to your previous reply, do you mean Dunlop 200 2006 offering you a muted feel?

I got the muted feel from o3 Tour MP as Redflea did which I don't look for. On the contrary, I like the feel of Dunlop 300G MP which is crisp and solid although it is pretty light. As it has been discontinued, I search another one to replace it with more hefty and Dunlop 200 2006 is my target. If anybody likes 300G and have tried 2006, do you think the latter is the appropriate substitution of the former? Thanks for your opinion in advance.

I second your question as I am also considering a change from 300G MP to 200 2006. Nice to see that 200 2006 has got better votes.

ksm

TeNNiS_SPieLeR
11-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Just picked up the Volkl DNX 10 and the Dunlop M-Fil 200 from my local pro shop to demo.Will post my opinions of the racquets.

TeNNiS_SPieLeR
11-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Anyone who has tried the O3 Tour, do you know of any racquets similar with similar sweetspots? I really think being consistent is the most important thing in tennis, so I want to find a racquet with a good sweet spot.

snoflewis
11-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Anyone who has tried the O3 Tour, do you know of any racquets similar with similar sweetspots? I really think being consistent is the most important thing in tennis, so I want to find a racquet with a good sweet spot.

no...no racket really has the same size sweetspot as the 03s...but that brings up my main question....why would you rely on a racket to provide you with the sweetspot rather than you learning how to hit the ball cleanly?

fuzz nation
11-24-2006, 06:56 PM
A couple of frames to consider in addition to the others above:

Prince Air Freak, Prince NXG mp, Dunlop HM 200g

All are easy on the wallet, good hitters all over the court, and seem to offer enough weight to still be playable for you. I'd recommend that you demo a potential racquet on more than one day when you can. If you like it on a couple of different outings, you've probably got a good fit.

TeNNiS_SPieLeR
11-24-2006, 09:36 PM
I am still in high school, the want a forgivable racquet with a large sweetspot until I stop growing and have a full, consistent swing.

snoflewis
11-24-2006, 09:43 PM
I am still in high school, the want a forgivable racquet with a large sweetspot until I stop growing and have a full, consistent swing.

i dont really see a direct correlation between height and a full,consistent swing....if you don't have a full,consistent swing, you don't belong on the tennis team if that's what you're talking about.

TeNNiS_SPieLeR
11-25-2006, 08:03 AM
I've only been playing tennis for two years but beacause of how I play...gritty, go after every ball, make my opponent lose the point...I am on my varsity team. Sorry if you have a problem with that.

snoflewis
11-25-2006, 11:29 AM
I've only been playing tennis for two years but beacause of how I play...gritty, go after every ball, make my opponent lose the point...I am on my varsity team. Sorry if you have a problem with that.

Kinda like Brad Gilbert...I don't have the prettiest swing, but I find ways to win.

im sure brad gilbert needed a huge sweetspot racket too because he didnt know how to hit the sweetspot.

TeNNiS_SPieLeR
11-25-2006, 08:39 PM
I didn't say anything about brad gilbert needing a big sweetspot...plus, why do you care if I need a big sweetspot, they make them for people to use them...

TeNNiS_SPieLeR
11-26-2006, 01:01 PM
So...........
Anyone try both the midsize andthe midplus O3 Tour? Results?
same thing, Dunlop M-Fil 200, Dunlop M-Fil 200 2006? Results?

Borat
11-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Try the Fischer M. Speed Pro No. 1 98, similar specs, waaaaaaaaaaaaay better play than the other two

servelefty2233
11-26-2006, 02:00 PM
I recommend the 03 tour mid also, i used to use a 100 sq in diablo, but i had no problem changing to the 95 sq in head size.

TeNNiS_SPieLeR
11-26-2006, 08:09 PM
I think that is the Fischer I tried...didn't play with it much but it didn't strike as anything great...I'll try demoing it again...anyone play with the flexpoints? How are they?

TeNNiS_SPieLeR
11-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Anyone want to express some differences they feel between these racquets?