PDA

View Full Version : Rios - Chang "Full Edition Video"

peluzon
11-24-2006, 01:34 AM
Marcelo Rios v/ Michael Chang

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/2420/rioschangwt1.jpg

Partidazo a 5 set en los Cuartos de Final US OPEN 1997. Michael Chang era 2 del mundo favorito y local y se enfrento
al otro Chino, al chileno que era 10 del mundo en ese entonces. Partido muy parejo que se definio a favor
de Chang con un quiebre a finales del quinto set

Parte I (89 megas, 6:07 minutos) (http://rapidshare.com/files/3006780/Rio_Chang_USOPEN_1997_Parte_1.wmv.html)

Parte II (92 megas 6:12 minutos) (http://rapidshare.com/files/3890510/Parte_2_Rios_Chang.wmv.html)

Parte III (85 megas 5:49 minutos) (http://rapidshare.com/files/4614293/Rios_Chang_USOPEN_1997_Parte3.wmv.html)

blubber
11-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Awesome!

After looking at the highlights without knowing the score I'm suprised Chang won. Rios seemed to be more in control - hitting more winners and with more power.

Thanks and please keep posting high quality vids.

Swissv2
11-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Looking at those videos I am SO glad that they have since changed to blue courts.

J-man
11-24-2006, 11:22 AM
I don't have time right now but I will check these out later

Zuras
11-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks, if these are legit. Don't have the bandwidth ATM but i intend to check 'em out soon as pr0n is done.

erik-the-red
11-25-2006, 07:51 AM
I will check this out on Monday.

Thanks!

jaykay
11-25-2006, 08:47 AM
This is truly brilliant. Firstly, the downloaded .wmv files are high-fidelity videos which can be viewed full-screen on your laptops w/o diminished video quality. Secondly, this is brilliant tactical tennis between these 2 awesome players: not necessarily always brute power, but fantastic tennis that focuses on swinging the opponent from side to side, back to front and looking for the right opening to come up to the net to finish the point. Superb, inspirational tennis even for players at the recreational level (like us mere mortals).

THANK YOU, peluzon!

BiGGieStuFF
11-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Awesome!

After looking at the highlights without knowing the score I'm suprised Chang won. Rios seemed to be more in control - hitting more winners and with more power.

Thanks and please keep posting high quality vids.

That's why they are highlights :). Chang leads the H2H 6-1 :)

uNIVERSE mAN
11-25-2006, 11:04 AM
It's amazing how little penetration Chang could get on his groundstrokes.

alan-n
11-25-2006, 12:18 PM
It's amazing how little penetration Chang could get on his groundstrokes.

Yep, short arms. Extreme western grip, not much penetration on his forehand compared to his backhand which is barely better.

J-man
11-25-2006, 07:06 PM
I watched the first clip. They had lot's of tough of ralies from the clip. Both players had to come up with some good shots. Nice clip!!

goober
11-26-2006, 08:35 AM
That's why they are highlights :). Chang leads the H2H 6-1 :)

Yep they didn't show all the UEs by Rios. I am not surprised that Chang had a 6-1 H2H record over Rios, because he is not a good match up for Rios.

blubber
11-26-2006, 09:21 AM
I know Chang hits with a lot of topspin so his shots are pretty heavy. He also gets to everything and is pretty consistent. But his shots are all so short. Would his game hold up as well today? I think he'd get killed. By the way I'm nit a chang hater.

Moose Malloy
11-28-2006, 01:28 PM
I know Chang hits with a lot of topspin so his shots are pretty heavy. He also gets to everything and is pretty consistent. But his shots are all so short. Would his game hold up as well today? I think he'd get killed. By the way I'm nit a chang hater.

Its best not to judge an entire player's career on a few minutes of highlights.
Chang played in an era where there were far more aces & surfaces were much faster. That he could compete with Goran, Rosset, Krajicek & so many 6'4 dudes on fast surfaces makes it likely that he would do fine vs Robredo, Davydenko on the slow/medium hardcourts of today.

Chang survived in this fast court era by coming to net, attacking 2nd serves. A lot. If he just counterpunched & got everything back he wouldn't have even been a top 20 in the 90s. He changed his game to be competitive with the other top players, much like Roddick today. Sampras said that Chang was more verastile(not better) than Agassi or Courier because he could actually volley well.

Maybe he would get killed today. But everyone thought he'd get killed then too & it didn't happen.

BTW he played pretty poorly throughout the '97 US Open. Still could beat Rios though.

alan-n
11-28-2006, 07:41 PM

I'll have to agree with Moose there. Before Chang blew out his knee, he was able to go toe to toe on much faster courts vs bigger / harder hitting players on tour today. Difference now is courts play a bit slower and players hit with more spin. If Hewitt could play in today's game no reason why Chang can't.