PDA

View Full Version : T" rating??

vizsla
11-24-2006, 04:51 AM
What does the "T" stand for in the newly published NTRP ratings?

vizsla
11-24-2006, 05:54 AM
Never mind. I found out it stands for a NTRP tournament rating.

Ash Doyle
11-24-2006, 07:16 AM
Vizsla, did you find this definition on the USTA site? I still haven't seen this explained at the USTA site. I was a little confused by this at first too. Now, I'm just confused as to why there was a need to specify a person's ranking came from tournament play instead of league play. Why is this distinction needed?

vizsla
11-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Don't know. I asked my state "tennislink" guy what the "T" sttod for and taht was the response I received.

TriCitiesTennis
11-25-2006, 04:20 AM
In most cases the "T" rating will stand in place of a self-rated players latest ranking in the event that the self-rated player has not played in enough local league matches.

I have played in 32 tournament matches to 7 local league matches and I have been USTA rated for 7 months. I got a "T" rating and that is essentially the response I was given in email.

Eviscerator
11-25-2006, 03:09 PM
S - Self-rate
A - Appeal
B - Benchmark - advanced to playoff or championship round
C - Computer
D - Dynamic
M - Mixed Exclusive Year-end Rating
T - Tournament

RLG
12-05-2006, 01:42 PM
I play only tournaments and also received a "T" rating type for the first time this year.

The USTA only recently returned to calculating computer ratings for people who only played tournaments. Before the last year or two, I was technically self rated every year.

Unfortunately, it looks like the USTA is not calculating your NTRP rating by including *both* tournament and league matches. (Mathematically, this would be the most accurate method.) Instead, it appears they do it using either: a) only league matches; or b) only tournament matches.

Jack the Hack
12-05-2006, 01:57 PM
I play only tournaments and also received a "T" rating type for the first time this year.

The USTA only recently returned to calculating computer ratings for people who only played tournaments. Before the last year or two, I was technically self rated every year.

Unfortunately, it looks like the USTA is not calculating your NTRP rating by including *both* tournament and league matches. (Mathematically, this would be the most accurate method.) Instead, it appears they do it using either: a) only league matches; or b) only tournament matches.

My understanding is that both League and sanctioned tournament matches in TennisLink are used to create your year end NTRP rating. (The tournament results are not counted in the calculation until the end of the year, which keeps people from getting bumped from League based on matches that were played outside of the League.)

What gave you the impression that it was one or the other?

Caswell
12-05-2006, 07:23 PM
I think what's going on is that the primary source of ratings is from league play. The idea that the "benchmark" players are the ones that advanced to league championship rounds reinforces this.

From my (albeit limited) experience, it seems like the league players who play tournaments as well are doing more to establish the ratings of the "T" rated players than vice versa.

Ash Doyle
12-06-2006, 04:45 AM
In the 2005 season I only played tournament matches and ended the year with a 'C' Rating. In the 2006 season, I played 8 league matches and 23 tournament matches and ended the year with a 'C' rating again.

I have two questions about the 'T' Rating:

1. When is it used?

2. MOST IMPORTANTLY - Why is it needed?

Caswell
12-06-2006, 08:18 AM
I have two questions about the 'T' Rating:

1. When is it used??

I haven't seen an exact explanation, but it looks like the "T" rating is assigned instead of the "C" rating when a certain percentage of your results are tournament versus league.

Look at the two examples on this page: TriCitiesTennis said that seven of his 39 USTA matches this year were league. That's 18%, and that ended up as a "T" rating. You said eight of your 31 USTA matches were league. That's 26%, and that ended up as a "C" rating.

2. MOST IMPORTANTLY - Why is it needed?

I really think that the USTA is trying to emphasize league play as the standard for establishing USTA ratings. Players that advanced to league championships and players that were DQ'd in league play are the "benchmark" for a particular rating, not the players that have any amount of tournament wins at a particular rating.

Keeping decent NTRP ratings for tournaments is still something that's important to the USTA, since it's a revenue stream for themselves and the clubs that host the tournaments. In that regard, based on what I've seen it's the players that play primarily in leagues but also play in tournaments that are allowing the computer to link tournament-only or primarily tournament players back to the benchmark players.

RLG
12-06-2006, 05:48 PM
My understanding is that both League and sanctioned tournament matches in TennisLink are used to create your year end NTRP rating
[snip]
What gave you the impression that it was one or the other?

The introduction of the new "T" doesn't *necessarily* mean that the USTA no longer calculates NTRP using *both* tournament and league data.

However, given the USTA's poor record of caring about accuracy, I would not be surprised if that were the case. Remember, for several years the USTA stopped including tournaments altogether. Players who only played tournaments had their NTRP ratings expire.

Only last year, did they resume including tournaments in the calculation. My rating for last year was a "C" rating even though I don't play league.

I'm just guessing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new T means that they are going to ignore tournament results altogether except for people who have few or no league matches. In other words, treating tournaments like they treat mixed league matches.

Unlike mixed league results, however, the tournament players' results are *very* valuable statistical data. During a season, I usually have matches against people from many different local leagues. My results against the different players can be used to compare the relative strengths of the local leagues in the same way as the league 'benchmark' players.