PDA

View Full Version : Volkl V1 Classic and Spin Game

thewallylama
11-24-2006, 06:23 AM
I recently purchased a V1 Classic, and am evaluating to see if I have the best stringing setup (brand and tension) for my game. So, if you have any experience with the V1, I'd welcome your comments. Here's my situation: I've returned to playing tennis after a 15 year layoff (due to a couple of injuries that have finally healed for the most part). When I stopped 15 years ago, I was a 5.0 player, fairly young with decent power mixed with a spin game. Now I'm middle aged, with less power (still like to go there once in a while) with more of a spin/finesse 4.0 game. The V1 seems like a great racquet for my post injury body and I'm quite happy with it, but I'd like to get a bit more topsin on groundstrokes and cut on drop volleys. I am currently using Technifibre BiPhase 16 lb strings strung at 59 pounds. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Morpheus
11-24-2006, 06:51 AM
I have to use a fairly soft string in this frame because even though it is fairly well cushioned, it is still pretty stiff. You may want to keep this in mind as you seem to need an arm friendly set-up. I torque my are pretty hard on my serves and that is probably why I have to be careful. I found biphase to be the best and use it with excellent effect. I get great spin and my touch--especially on lobs and short angles--is near perfect (for me). Control can be a problem with these strings, however. I also get more hop on my serve with the racquet than any other. In other words, you can try some other multis or tensions, but you probably won't do a whole lot better than your current set-up, so just get out there and play.

jackson vile
11-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Generally speaking with low SW and low Static weight you will have best results with a soft string.

My first choice would be the irradiated 17g, next would be either klip excellerator or venom (the excellerator being more crisp), and the then look at the prokennex multi that is very very nice as well.

thewallylama
11-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Thank you for your replies so far. It is helpful to note, Morpheus, that you also have used Biphase. The Klip Excellerator that Jackson recommends is supposedly similar to Biphase, so I'm apparently on the right track.
I found biphase to be the best and use it with excellent effect. I get great spin and my touch--especially on lobs and short angles--is near perfect (for me). Control can be a problem with these strings, however.... but you probably won't do a whole lot better than your current set-up, so just get out there and play.
Morpheus: regarding your use of the Biphase, could tell me 1. if you have used the 16 or 17 version, and also 2. what tension you've used for the V1? Thanks.

Morpheus
11-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Thank you for your replies so far. It is helpful to note, Morpheus, that you also have used Biphase. The Klip Excellerator that Jackson recommends is supposedly similar to Biphase, so I'm apparently on the right track.

Morpheus: regarding your use of the Biphase, could tell me 1. if you have used the 16 or 17 version, and also 2. what tension you've used for the V1? Thanks.

16g (it's a bit more durable) @ 58 pounds (a little higher than midpoint for control).

I tried different weights as this frame is customizable, but the power became too much for me when I got above 11.5 oz. I now play stock.