PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Storm 98 and 103 SQ in.

Thunderace
11-24-2006, 07:35 PM
For people who have hit with both, which one's best???

Also, how would you compare the 98 version with the Pure Control series?

Rafa's best friend
11-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Pure strom 98 used by Gonzo is a very good racket, TW gave it a very praise. But i wish it came in 27.5 inch version.......

DRtenniS1112
11-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Pure strom 98 used by Gonzo is a very good racket, TW gave it a very praise. But i wish it came in 27.5 inch version.......

Why? Certainly you must be using an APD like your best friend?

Rafa's best friend
11-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Why? Certainly you must be using an APD like your best friend?

My buddy RAFA and i have different physical build and i do not like the standard length rackets. RAFA uses very small grip for the same reason that Fed does, it feels like you can get more racket head speed with smaller grip but i am not sure if this can be proven..???:confused:

Thunderace
11-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Back to the Pure Storm... how does that "relatively" low stiffness value feel on a Bab? More comfort on the arm? More or less power than a PD???

DANMAN
11-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Back to the Pure Storm... how does that "relatively" low stiffness value feel on a Bab? More comfort on the arm? More or less power than a PD???

I just switched to the Storm from the PD. The flex is noticeable sometimes, but it is not a "flexible" racket. It volleys much better than the PD. It also has less power.

Thunderace
11-25-2006, 01:20 AM
Danman, does it also serve as huge as the PD?
I'm actually looking for a racquet that has the same potential with first serves (bombs that it, rather than spin, I can achieve the spin on my own but have a little trouble getting the pace down)...

If I could find a racquet with the serving cababilities of the PD, but with more control on groundies and at the net, I'd be there!
Unfortunately you cannot play with a PD unless you put tons of spin from the baseline to your shots, which I don't want to do.
Also, the Pure Drive has a really crappy feel overall (on finesse shots), how about the Pure Storm?

Bottle Rocket
11-25-2006, 06:26 AM
Thunderance,

What you want is what most of us who use the Pure Storm wanted. It is the reason I have a Storm instead of a Pure Drive.

I have written at least 100 posts specifically about this racket, including countless answers to all of the questions that you have asked.

I am a big fan of the racket. You still must use some spin to control it, it is not as different from the Pure Drive as people make it out to be. It is better though. Volleys are better like danman said. It also feels MUCH softer on off-center hits, it never punishes you for mis-hits.

I have never met anyone that didn't enjoy hitting with my Pure Stom. It seems most people on these boards also enjoy them, there is no hate group like there is for the Pure drive.

Return of serves, serves, and grondstrokes are great with this thing. Its weaker areas are volleys and manuerability. Directional control is not as good as the Hybrid Tour I am currently using, but it is decent. I find myself hitting crosscourt more than down the line with the Storm.

Here are some good threads on the racket-

Here is a thread I've recently made about the Pure Storm. It will show you the other side of the Pure Storm's greatness.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=101680&highlight=pure+storm

A good review-

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=97030&highlight=pure+storm

A good thread about someone making the switch-

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=99939&highlight=pure+storm

Thunderace
11-25-2006, 06:35 AM
Bottle Rocket, thanks!

I'll take my time and go through these posts, thanks once more for all the info!

Thunderace
11-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Bottle, if I got that straight, you still like the Pure Storm, but switched to the Prince Hybrid Tour... any particular reason for that? Thanks. Good links btw.

Kevo
11-25-2006, 03:13 PM
I've never demoed the Pure Storm MP. I figured it was too big and light compared to what I've liked in the past. You can read some of my other remarks in the thread linked above. I would say, although I think I've said it before, that the Pure Control has more power and less control than the Pure Storm. It does help on serves, but every where else it seems to hurt. I actually like the PD better than the Pure Control.

Bottle Rocket
11-26-2006, 12:34 AM
Bottle, if I got that straight, you still like the Pure Storm, but switched to the Prince Hybrid Tour... any particular reason for that? Thanks. Good links btw.

I feel like I get much more directional control. It also volleys better than anything I have ever used. I also like the added weight and am beginning to feel strongly about 12 ounce rackets. The Pure Storm swings just as heavy as the Hybrid Tour, but doesn't play as stable. The weight, balance, and feel is perfect for a one handed backhand. My review of the Hybrid Tour-

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=104082&highlight=hybrid+tour

I would say if you hit with anything less extreme than a semi-western, the Hybrid Tour shouldn't really be considered. It has a 95 inch head, but seems just as wide as my Storm and much longer. I am a big fan of it, even though others aren't so fond of it.

As far as rackets under 11 or 12 ounces, I haven't found anything better than the Pure Strom as far as a great all-around racket. My needs and wants have just gone though a small evolution.

One thing people don't talk about too much is Babolat rackets and strings. Strings last forever in Pure Storms. I have broken Luxilon ALU in 2-3 weeks in my Hybrid Tour (bad on strings), never in my Pure Storm. I can't even break synthetic gut in it.

If you're a string breaker, the Pure Storm is very kind.

Pure Storm not sounding like the racket you're looking for? Do you plan to demo?